“Exceeded my expectations”

Ranked #56 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Pensacola, Florida
“Exceeded my expectations”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I must admit I was somewhat skeptical about staying at this historic inn but once we arrived I was pleasantly surprised. I love the fact that there is always someone there to open the door for you when you arrive and depart. The front desk is gorgeous I love the unique details. I was stunned at how beautiful our room looked when I first walked in. The size was perfect for me and the best part was the room was super clean. The only bad part was the lighting it is so dark around the shower and toilet area. The room could use some additional lighting as well with all the lights on it still feels so dark. Oh another bonus for me was the fact that the inn uses real keys for the rooms and not plastic swipe cards. They also provide free wifi in the rooms. The breakfast is a tad bit expensive so we did not partake in it. Also the valet parking is a bit costly as well $33.00 plus tax. I suggest you park yourself this is what we did we found a nearby parking garage that was cheaper near Franklin Square. And if you get lucky you can find some street parking near the inn.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the construction noise. We stayed in 306 and were awaken by construction...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Monica A
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Morrison-Clark Inn. It is always nice to hear when we have exceeded our guests' expectations and that we go above and beyond to satisfy our guests.
Should your travel plans bring you back to our Nation's Capitol, please stop by and visit us.

Take Care,

Mohamad Taha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were looking for a special historical hotel downtown to celebrate our 15th anniversary and found this one on-line through Travelocity. It was listed as a "super-secret" deal so we went for it. The room rate was $259/night and we received a 20% off coupon to get this rate.

The room was postage-stamp sized, and while the description indicated that the bed was a queen size, it was really only a double bed. The bathroom was dimmly lit, and while it did have a granite counter-top, it was also tiny with a very short shower head (and very low water pressure.) The flat screen TV was like 12 inches. And they charged us $5 for a bottle of water that was in the room. The WiFi was also basically unusable and extremely slow.

The clincher was the construction occuring in the courtyward behind the hotel (which all the rooms face up to). We were awoken at 6AM by loud bulldozers moving/backing up/beeping and sledgehammers doing demolition work. So much for our romantic, anniversary get-away - we will never stay there again. A better alternative is the Hamilton Hotel (a Crown-Plaza chain hotel) just down the street for the same rate and better amenities/restaurant!

Room Tip: The "deluxe" rooms are VERY small (with very small, dimly lit bathrooms as well), with a d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that you were not at all pleased with your stay at the Morrison-Clark Inn.I do apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay, as it would have been our pleasure to accomodate you in a more comfortable manner, as we strive for absolute guest satisfaction.

Thank You for your comments and for being a guest at the Morrison-Clark Historic Inn.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked the Morrison-Clark for a weekend because its location was perfect for us this trip, and because my wife, who used to live in the district, had always admired its look, and was surprised to find it available as one of the least expensive options for miles in every direction. (I understand that prices vary, and we must have been fortunate in our choice of weekend.) The place is elegant, and in all of our encounters with staff we found people to be extremely helpful and courteous. Upon checking in we were informed that they were able to upgrade us at no extra cost to a superior room, which turned out to be large and gorgeous. Our bed was especially comfortable. Staff at all levels made us feel special and taken care of. Our room was a great place to entertain a guest for drinks and conversation. We did not eat in the restaurant, but did enjoy drinks from the bar on the verandah. Again, while we may just have been lucky in our timing to get such a great room at such a great price (about 1/7 of the "official" rate posted inside the room), our experience at the Morrison-Clark was terrific in every respect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm happy to know that your enjoyed your stay at the Morrison-Clark Inn and that the rate you found was a comfortable fit within your bugget. Thank You for experiencing the amenities, the service and staff of the Inn, as we believe in always putting the guest first with exceptional customer service.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Morrison Clark is my main place to stay when I travel to DC. A super convenient location makes it a great "launching" spot for a business trip. It only has about 40 rooms and the prices can vary substantially depending upon demand but the staff is great and if you like the personalized service touch then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: There are a series of rooms with an outside entrance (protected by an interior court) but in extreme...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thnank You for taking the time in reviewing your stay with us. I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us while on your business trip and that the service was up to standards for you.
Please keep us in mind when your business travels bring you back to Washington DC.

Best Regards,
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I'm not sure how one qualifies to get the big room the other customer described. My room was tiny. It did have a bay window, but other than that, the room was claustrophobic. I would suggest when you make reservations, you inquire as to what kind of room is available. Also, I did not find the staff particularly helpful. Was it because we pulled up in a 1996 Pontiac? There was a rush to move it from the front of the hotel to the underground parking garage. Please don't judge. This was my son's vehicle. In our garage at home, we also have a Mercedes-Benz and Jaguar.

In addition, there is a lot of construction going on in that area.

Room Tip: Ask the reservations clerk to tell you specifically what rooms are available. Don't let them de...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank You for your feedback.
I'm sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with the type of room you occupied, as all of our rooms have a certain uniqueness and decor. I also wish to apologize for the lack of assistance and couteousness you recieved from my team members, as I will be sure to pass your comments on to the apropriate staff members for correction.

Indianapolis
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Where do I begin......I need to preface this in stsating I do not leave negative reviews. My reasoning is there is always something redeeming and positive to find. This was not the case.

We have been staying at the Morrison Clark Inn since 2008. What draws us back is the service and the attention to detail. Well not this time.

The pipes in the bathroom in theunit above ours was leaking into our room. We stayed in Room #219 and # 319 was leaking into the bathroom. Envision puddles. You get the idea.

Granted the front desk was responsive in getting maintenance up to our room to see if repairs could be made. We lobbied to have our bicycling gear left in the room because we were checking out the next morning. They did allow us to leave our g ear in place.

My complaint comes from the Hotel Manager was to call us the next day and discuss this issue. We were in calling range since checking out on June 23, 2013. We have not received a call.

What we were disappointedwith in our stay:
1.) The garage was closed - because of that we were forced to park our bibcycles in our room
2.) I ordered breakfast - the Breakfast Breads - 4 Mini muffins
3.) The leak in the Bathroom - rendered the bathroom unsuable.
4.) We had initally requested the refrigerator to be empty upon arrival - It was not - Monor complaint.
5.) We had to carry our own bags to and from the room - in the past someone assisted.
6.) They placed us on the construction side of the building.

Overall this was not the Morrison Clark we had stayed with in the past. I love the charm and grace of the hotel. Not so on this trip. The hotel is under construction.

I am completely unhappy with our stay. Normally this is the best part of our vacation while in DC. I look forward to our stays all year long.

Unhappy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Good Afternoon,
As a valued guest of the Morrison-Clark Inn, I' am deeply concerned that your stay this time around was less than satisfactory. I would like to take the time to personally apologize to you that your complaints were not resolved in a timely manner and that you experienced several issues during your stay with us. It is certainly not within our best interest to have these type of inconveniences for our guests and I will be contact with you so that we may discuss your stay in furhter detail.
We pride ourselves on our guest service and satisfaction and that we do not live up to your expectations as a repeat guest is a complete dissapointment.
Thank You for your concerns, as I will be sure to address this with the staff.

All the best,
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Very interesting place to stay, beautiful deco throughout, maintained to a high standard. Yes there is building work at the moment, however you judge a business by the way it deals with challenges and this hotel managed our expectations pefectly by upgrading us to a room away from the building works. They could not have been more helpful. Well done. Will definitely return in the future. Thank you.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank You for your kind comments.
I'm very thankful that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your expectations were met during your stay, as we pride ourselves on our guest experiences. My staff members go above and beyond to ensure that our guests are met with oustanding guest service and satisfaction.
Thank You again for such nice comments, as we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Sincerley,