“Adoreable hotel”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #35 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 10, 2009

I had a great experience at the Lombardy- it feels like a small, quaint, boutique hotel. As the previous reviewers indicated, the elevators are old (and staffed) and so there are times when you have to wait for them -- but I also felt that the elevators and the elevator attendant give the hotel a kind of old, quaint feel. I never had to wait more than a couple of minutes, even at busy times. My room was very comfortable, and quite large- a bedroom with a king sized bed, a small dressing area with a closet and dressing table, a bathroom, and a kitchen. The decor was very contemporary, fun, and funky. The hotel also has a really cute restaurant (I had a delicious breakfast there) and the location can't be beat. It's definitely true that the Lombardy isn't a Sheraton or a Marriott- so if efficiency is your thing, the Lombardy probably isn't your place. But if you are looking for some place a bit more intimate, funky, and fun, take a chance on the Lombardy.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank littleladyboston

Reviewed December 26, 2008

We got an incredile value for the room. We were extremely satisfied with the staff who helped us to figure out the metro, circulator, cabs, and walking to locations. The room was quiet and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and mold free. It was excellent to walk to many locations. It was near the Metro. We will definately be back when we can.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank wants2b5ft
Reviewed December 7, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and were both impressed - we would both stay there again.

We had a lovely room with a king-sized bed overlooking the park. The room was generously sized, and the bed was very comfortable with clean and comfortable sheets and a down comforter. The location is superb - about a 10 minute walk of the White House, and it is across the park from a memorable seafood restaurant called Kinkead's.

The staff were friendly and accommodating, and even helped my boyfriend out in a way that went above and beyond the call of duty. Our luggage had been lost by the airline we flew and had not arrived by the following morning when my boyfriend, an attorney, had to appear to try a case in Federal District Court. One of the hotel staff members loaned my boyfriend his suitcoat and tie to allow my boyfriend to appear (at least somewhat) presentably before the court. It was a very kind and generous gesture and it was much appreciated - thanks Ojo!!

We had breakfast in the restaurant and I had the best French Toast I think I've ever had. The coffee was superb, as was the service. It was a charming place to stay.

The only 'negative' is the old elevator - it was always prompt and we never had to wait more than a minute for it to arrive, but it is an old elevator and we could hear the motor in our rooms. So, earplugs were handy - but we are both light sleepers too.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank McBDenver_CO
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I was very disappointed in the service that I received from this hotel. On the plus side, the room that we stayed in was clean (but small) and the bed was very comfortable. The elevator was a cool experience, however there were times that we had to wait well over 5 minutes. Often, we choose to take the stairs both up and down (we were on the 8th floor). Great location for walking to the White House and some of the other attractions.
My biggest complaint was the front desk experience. The elevator attendants were also the same people who did valet parking. During busy check-in and check-out times, it was an absolute debacle. There was zero communication. We pulled up to the hotel, someone came out eventually, took our bags, and asked for the car keys....then they asked what our room number was. I was still standing outside so I said "I don't know yet." When I did check in, I was handed my room key and was told absolutely nothing. Now....this hotel has many amenities. I was informed of none of them. I didn't find out until the next day (through casual conversation) that the valet parking was costing me $34.00 a day. I was never informed of any expense related to parking. It is not on the site, it wasn't mentioned when I made the reservation and it was never mentioned upon check-in. After I found out, I went to the front desk and spoke to the manager. The manager was very rude. He had an attitude and gave me the whole "I don't know what you want me to do." He also said that the cost was "absolutely on the web site". I have yet to find it. This is not the kind of service that I am willing to accept. We will not be staying at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2008

My wife and I spent two nights at the Hotel Lombardy and were very disappointed with our stay. We booked the hotel through Quikbook. I inquired about using AAA when speaking to the agent and was told to handle that at the front desk upon arrival. However, when I arrived the hotel clerk told me they were unable to honor AAA discounts since the reservation wasn't made using AAA in advance. Strike one...

The first evening, we went to the Venetian Lounge and ordered drinks, My wife ordered a White Russian (Vodka, Kaluha and Milk). She was served vodka and milk and returned the drink to the bartender who promptly told her they were out of Kaluha. Why she wasn't told this before the drink was served is beyond me. Strike two...

Our room (located beside the elevator on the 6th floor) needed attention. The air filter in the unit looked like it hadn't been changed in years. Light bulbs were out in the lamps and were not changed though I asked for them to be and the noise of the vintage elevator started full-force around 5am each morning and could only be drowned out by the yelling of the housekeeping crew outside our door beginning around 7am. So, not much of a relaxing environment for sure. Strike three...

Needless to say, we'll look elsewhere the next time we're in DC and suggest you do the same.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TNtraveler0625
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Hotel Lombardy made a perfect trip even better. From the moment I arrived I felt like I was at home. The staff was more than accommodating, the decor was delightful and the location was perfect. My room was lovely - small kitchen with nicely stocked refrigerator, cozy dressing room area, very comfortable bed and spotless bathroom. Beside the wonderful restaurant on site, just across the street are three great restaurant as well as others just down the street. The hotel is an easy walk to the subway station but if you want to skip the subway and just walk to the the White House and the Smithsonian museums it only takes about 10 to 15 minutes. I will be returning the DC next year and it is without hesitation that I will be staying at the Hotel Lombardy and I will always recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling to DC.

Stephanie - Seattle

PS the elevator was a wonderful treat and I never waited more than a minute.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2008

I read a lot of reviews for Hotel Lombardy and found them ALL to be true. The hotel has old-world charm, friendly staff, and good coffee. However, the elevator is worse than you can imagine, and there are 11 floors, so you might not be able to avoid using it. It is not just "quaint." You won't like it. We originally asked for a room that was quiet and not near the elevator shaft, however, the room they gave us was just across from the elevator on the 11th floor where we were awakened constantly by the noise of the elevator gears. We also heard the 4:30-5:30 garbage collection mentioned by another reviewer. On the second day, we asked for a room change to get away from the elevator noise and also asked for a lower floor so we could avoid using the elevator. That was a big improvement! Don't expect a view. Most rooms look out on an air shaft shaired by an office building. Location is good but distances to attractions posted on hotel website are not correct. All in all, it's pricey but o.k. if you can avoid the elevator.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple