“Charming old world hotel”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #31 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I recently stayed as part of a two-day business trip where I attended a conference at the GWU Marvin Center.

The location for getting to GWU is excellent, and it is also close to the Foggy Bottom Metro stop and to the Foggy Bottom Whole Foods.

The hotel itself is more like an old-school European experience. Tiny lobby, slow elevators, older hotel, smaller spaces, but done very nicely. For example, my room (regular King-size bed) came with a small kitchen and small dressing area. The bathroom is indeed very small, and I would have traded my dressing area for a bit more elbow-room in the bath.

My room was near the front of the hotel, and I had no problem with street noise.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the huge mini-bar fridge to store your own food and wine from the Foggy Bottom Who...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Greetings Bryan B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and tell us about your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Corrado Palenzona

Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

What a wonderful surprise. After taking a little while to find the hotel we were pleasently surprised what we found. An extremely friendly bell boy who took our car to park and brought our luggage up and later brought us ice . The front desk guy was also very friendly. We were "upgraded" to a double queen room with a kitchenette. Beware these are not queen beds but double beds. The kitchenette had a small fridge that was stocked with drinks but there was lots of space for us to put our own drinks. There is no ice machine - you need to call for ice.

The room was lovely with a dresser that looked like my grandmothers and a desk. Beds were ver very comfortable but the pillows were too fluffy for me but you never know what people like. The bathroom was small but had everything you need with a rain shower which I love. The shampoo and lotions came from Bed and Bath.

Now the location: We were planning on borrowing the dc bicycles to ride around the city. There were 2 lots with these bicycles within 1 block of th hotel. There also is a Metrostation 2 blocks away. Lots of good food close by and easy access (via the dc bicycles) to the smithsonian and all the monuments. The days we were there it was 90+ degrees and riding the bikes was better than walking.

overall we would stay there again. My only issue was that I thought we were getting Queen beds but got doubles.

Room Tip: DON"T take the Double Queen unless you can sleep in a double bed. Get the "inside" r...
1  Thank Julia M

Greetings momofmultipleboys,

Thank you for posting your comments. We appreciate you and are glad that you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had a wonderful stay here, I wish it had been for longer than one night! This hotel has a lot of old-world charm, but it's clearly been renovated. We did get a room upgrade, which meant a bigger room with fridge and sink area. It was in the front of the building but noise was not an issue. The bed was super soft and comfortable and everything was very clean. The best part of this hotel is it's easy walking distance to a lot of DC's attractions, including the National Mall, and there are lots of great restaurants. I look forward to staying here again.

2  Thank Myradith

Greetings Myradith,

Thank you for sharing your experience and your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to do so and are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We first stayed at the Hotel Lombardy 4 or 5 years ago when visiting the area. We were impressed by the historical feel of the building, the spacious and updated rooms, and the friendliness of the staff we encountered. All this amounts to a great experience for a very reasonable price.

Now that we live in the DC area, we always recommend this hotel to out-of-town visitors. The hotel is a gem in its own right but it is also just blocks away from Foggy Bottom metro, Whole Foods, and there are a number of good restaurants in the immediate area.

We were saddened to discover on our most recent visit, however, that the elevator has been modernized a bit so that it no longer needs an operator to run. The elevator still has the same tight fit though- keep that in mind when selecting which luggage to bring along!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings julia7178,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy to hear that we are your Hotel of choice in Washington, DC.

Like you we were all sad to see the elevator go and the decision was hard but was something that needed to be done.

We look forward to having you on your next visit.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I was in Washington DC for an event at the State Department. The Lombardy hotel was nearby, I was very pleased with my stay. The receptionist was particularly helpful when I needed help changing my train reservation. The room -- and especially the bed -- were super comfortable. A friend and I enjoyed a quiet conversation in the cocktail lounge. I would love to return one day!

• Stayed: September 2013

Greetings Provence73,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you had the opportunity to visit our lounge.

We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

All in all, it served it's and our purpose for a couple of days. We took a r a quick city trip from New York by train for the MLK 50th March on Washington. I liked the "boutiqueness" of the hotel (converted small one-bedroom apartments); staff was okay -- basically stayed their distance but responded well to requests; liked that the windows opened and the supposed "kitchette" -- which it is not -- but served us well as a small bar. I did not like (a) the view -- an empty building construction site adjacent to the hotel -- not good. The bed was okay but would agree with a previous reviewer that it was a little "hard for my taste". The location was okay but we took taxis everywhere. Went down to the bar and did not get a good reception. The bartender said they were closing although it was several people still sitting at the bar drinking at 10:30 pm (I think he was just ready to go home). Ate out all the time so can't comment on the restaurant, although I never smelled it tempting aromas coming out of it. Tip: For great food and atmosphere, try Georgia Brown's -- a 8-10 minute taxi ride down the street. Reservations necessary.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Greetings Cassieisqueen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are glad that you chose to stay here with us during the celebration of MLK.

Please know that we value your opinion and use your comments as a tool to improve guest service so we appreciate you giving us your feed back.

It is always our goal to provide the best service and to make our guests feel welcomed and at home.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

An old building, with all of the beauty and charm...our every need was met from check-in to departure We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in September 2013. The staff was very nice, polite and helpful. We came to Washington for our anniversary and they upgraded our room from one King bed to suite without any charge. . Room was quaint with a king size and lovely old world furniture Also,the rooms was lovely, clean, and comfortable. Also, hotel just a few blocks from the Metro station at Foggy Bottom and within easy walking distance of all Washingtons main attractions and only five blocks from the White House. . Highly recommend the Hotel Lombardy
Thanks a lot for wonderful time at Hotel Lombardy.

Greetings Peter L,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am pleased to hear that your enjoyed your visit and that the staff here was a pleasure as well. We hope that on your next visit you will choose to stay with us again.

We look forward to seeing you soon.