“great location and sleep quality”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #41 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Toronto, Canada
“great location and sleep quality”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Lombardy Hotel over the October 6-8, 2012 weekend. It's great place: very reasonable price, perfect location (between 2 metro stops), and a great sleep quality bed. Our room was very comfortable and clean. LCD tv and free internet. The hotel is a couple of blocks away from 2 CVS stores, Starbucks and several restaurants. About a 20-min drive from Reagan National by cab or about 35-min by metro/walk.

Two negatives: 1) low and/or inconsistent water pressure (we stayed on the 10th floor); and 2) mediocre restaurant.

Otherwise, I highly recommend Hotel Lombardy for any visitor to Washington DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Constantine-TA
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We value your opinions and we strive to maintain excellent service and ensure that our guests are very comfortable. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Corrado Palenzona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was completely happy with my 3-night stay at the Lombardy; I can't wait to go back! I booked an Executive Parkview King because I wanted the Pennsylvania Avenue view, and I got room 1002, tenth floor, center, and I LOVED it!! Spacious, spotless, lots of natural light. Huge king bed was sooo comfy! Loved the little kitchen with little refrigerator, sink, table and chairs with it's own window. Charming hotel with European feel. Fantastic staff! The location was absolutely perfect! Five-minute walk to the Foggy Bottem Metro station at GWU hospital was my go-to station. In that area is a CVS Pharmacy, and best of all, a Whole Foods. First afternoon there I went to Whole Foods and stocked up breakfast items and snacks for my little kitchen. I can't say enough about this wonderful hotel! I will absolutely go back!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the Executive Parkview King!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank advntrr60
Thank you for your feedback. It's guests like you that make us happy to do our job and that's to ensure our guests have the very best experience here at the Hotel Lombardy. We appreciate you and look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Thanks,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We spent this weekend at the Hotel Lombardy in Washington DC. It's a lovely old building and I have to say it was the best sleep I've had at a hotel in a very long time. The room was small, but comfy. Bathroom was very small, and the water pressure was a bit soft, but it was very clean and the toiletries were nice.
My only complaint is with the restaurant. The first morning we had breakfast, and didn't eat there again. The butter was sour, the coffee insipid, and something my husband ate really upset his stomach - he was sick for the rest of the day. I'm sure it was an aberration - other reviews talk about the food in a positive way.
I'd stay here again, but I don't think I'd eat at the restaurant - there are so many good places to eat in Washington.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am sorry to hear that your experience in our Cafe wasn't the best for you. We take your comments very seriously and will look into them further and use this as a tool to enhance our customer service.
We hope that you will stay again soon.

Somerset, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I hate to give away such great hidden gem but this place is great! You are so close to everything. The food here is great and this charming old hotel is very clean. I want to stay here again when I return to Washington.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again soon.

Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Lombardy while on a recent business trip to DC. The hotel is a historical structure, and overall is quite charming. The rooms are comfortable, if not overly large. The hotel has a small (and quiet) lounge which is quite welcoming, and a restaurant. I did not sample their dinner fair, but had a very tasty and reasonably priced breakfast. I would definitely recomment the Lombardy to a friend, and plan on returning their when I am in DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
It is our pleasure to have you stay with us. We thank you for giving us your feedback and look forward to having you stay again soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

First time in DC so this was located in an ideal area to take in lots of the history if the city within walking distance. The service was friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and well set up and was quiet for the most part. Would definitely stay there again as it felt safe and was very convenient.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for staying with us! We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you again soon.

Key Biscayne, Florida
Reviewed October 4, 2012

It is always interesting to see how a non-major brand, locally owned and managed hotel does in a major travel market. It's also somewhat frustrating to see a hotel with so much good - almost universal positives - let a few things fall through the cracks which really can change the guest's whole experience with the property. Unfortunately, that's what the Lombardy has done.

First, the positives, and there are many. Excellent service, starting with the doormen. Friendly, knowledgeable, eager to help but not overly solicitous, always ready to answer a question, find a taxi, suggest a tour or a restaurant. In my experience, these guys are among the best in the business globally. Front desk, exactly the same. Very accommodating for an upgrade to a suite on a relatively slow September weekend (much appreciated) and for a late check out on Sunday.

More positives. Beautifully decorated public spaces and the room itself, with high-quality, somewhat "period" decor befitting a smallish boutique hotel. Location is six blocks from the White House, a short taxi ride to all of the important places in DC, within walking distance to Dupont Circle and hundreds of great restaurants (go have brunch at Clyde's). The neighborhood is both quiet and safe, with GWU just across the street.

Finally, value. It is a great location and a good product for a price which is extremely reasonable in the DC market.

It would be my pleasure to end my review here and leave it at that. However, that wouldn't present an accurate picture. On that note, the negatives.

First and foremost, one has to accept that most older, smaller boutique hotels tend to have bathrooms which are not exactly the most modern, and plumbing to go with it. This is certainly the case at the Lombardy, however, this was much worse than usual. While the bathroom was generally clean (although not as clean as I would have liked), it was fairly utilitarian - not much counter space or room to move around. Definitely not for two people to use at the same time. The toilet was one of the old-style, tiny, round type which I last saw in Bangladesh in the late 1990s (yes, it annoyed me back then as well). Older, nondescript fixtures are not the worst thing to have to deal with. However, the real problems started with the shower, which had a fairly complicated three-knob setup which took some trial and error to get the water from the tub spout to the shower head. And then...well, let me put it this way. There was never, in six showers taken by two of us across three days a single moment when the water temperature or pressure was constant. We are talking about varying from a sputter to a blast, freezing hot to scalding, with no way to control it at all. Essentially, the shower was rendered useless by this issue, which, as you can imagine, is not an enjoyable situation to endure or look forward to during a hotel stay.

Further to the bathroom issues, the overall water pressure problem apparently does not allow the toilets to flush consistently either. So you get the long wait for the bowl to refill, and many times the need to re-flush a few times to clear it out. You get the picture, I hope - this needs no additional explanation.

Finally, another shower issue which was bothersome. The hole where the shower head comes out of the wall had no gap cover on it, it was just a pipe coming through a hole in the wall which was exposed a bit around the edges. Maybe not just a bit, maybe an inch or so. Generally not a big deal, however, to experienced travelers who have been in a few less-than-first-world hotels over the years, exposed holes in the wall lead to one quick thought - what exactly might be crawling around inside the walls that now has a way to come out of it? I didn't see anything moving around in my room, but realistically, it's a big-city hotel in a humid environment. You have to assume the possibility exists at least part of the year, but I don't want to encourage creepy crawlies in my room if it can be easily avoided, and in this case, nobody took the time to avoid it, which makes no sense. Frankly, it creeped me out and made me uncomfortable. This is the kind of thing that takes an impression of a clean hotel and changes it very quickly. I don't know why management never gets that.

A last thought on the negatives. Despite the room temperature being set quite low, the bed linens are the type which seem to retain a lot of heat. We never got a really good sleep all weekend because of this. I can confirm that tha air conditioners work extremely well and quietly, but I think the bedding itself could use an upgrade. The actual mattress itself was, in fact, quite comfortable.

Overall, as I said in the beginning, so close - but not there. With a few incremental improvements this could be an unbelievable hotel, but there is some attention to detail which needs to be paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple