“A Pleasant Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“A Pleasant Experience”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

While only there for a couple of nights, my stay at the JW Marriott was quite pleasant with quite surrounding and a sense that you were in the heart of the capital. You could easily walk to such things as the newly refurbished Washington Monument and other attractions.The staff is attentive, the rooms comfortable and the amenities quite nice.

Room Tip: Good location from which to explore Washington.
Green Features: They actually left the bath towel (which I had hung on a towel bar) in the bathroom. Practically every other hotel I use supplies me with fresh towel every day, even when I've hung mine up.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
washington, dc
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The bridal party stayed here the weekend of my brother's wedding. They made everyone very comfortable. The only complaint I could come up with is that we were admittedly a needy group (extra chairs for girls to get their hair done, extra glasses for the the groomsmen to toast before the wedding); the hotel always went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed, but the response time was sometimes so slow, we had to call multiple times to see if they were being attended to--its a pretty mild complaint. Also, make sure to mention if you want a view. I had an amazing view, but the bridal suite didn't!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at the JW Marriott in the center of Washington DC and found this to be the finest hotel the DC area has to offer. The staff was extremely helpful and being in the center of the area, we just parked our rental car at the hotel and saw the sights by walking. The restaurants in the hotel were also excellent.

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer a nicer view of the City.
Green Features: They use a elevator system that we have only seen used in Japan and Israel. It is very efficient with no wait time at the elevator doors.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wendy m
Connecticut
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at the JW Marriott for a weekend in Washington DC in August. We loved the JW Marriott. The service is top knotch. The valet and bellman were very professional and efficient. The lobby was beautiful with gorgeous crystal chandeliers. There was even a Starbucks near the lobby which excited this coffee enthusiast. In the lobby there was even a kiosk where you could print your boarding passes for your return flight home. Very convenient. The check in process was easy. I was a little dissapointed we were given a floor on the 2nd floor. I asked for a higher floor but was told there were no rooms available with two double beds. Anyway our room on the 2nd floor pleasantly surprised me. We were in room 221 and had an huge window with a great city view. We could even see the Washington monument. The view, even though on a lower floor, was very nice. I was nervous we would get a lot of noise from the traffic and cars driving by, but surprisingly we did not. The room was very quiet, and elegant. We have an infant and a crib was brought promptly to our room.The beds and pillows were comfy. The room was cleaned and maintained very well. The housekeeping staff was amazing, our housekeeper was friendly and outgoing and a pleasure to talk with. The pool was nice and clean. The fitness center was huge and there was a lot of equipment! My only complaint was that my husband went out with business associates and forgot his room key. Hotel security would not allow him in to the hotel. I understand security procedures, but my husband had to call me at midnight, wake me up, and I had to walk down to the lobby to let him in. Couldnt he have been directed to the front desk. He had a photo ID with him.....Anyway not a huge deal but a slight annoyance that I felt I had to mention. The location of the hotel was superb. It was a short walk to the white house, the national mall and museums, the holocaust museum, and the monuments. There were great dining choices near by as well. Check out was smooth. The bellman was up to our room in minutes and valet had our car ready and waiting. We were erroneously charged on our bill a snack from the minibar, but the front desk removed this charge without any issue. Overall this hotel was luxurious, clean, provided excellent service, and was close to all of the monuments. If in DC again, we will definitely be back to the JW.

Room Tip: Room 221 had a huge window with a nice view and you could even see the Washington monument.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Did a mini trip to DC with husband last week and stayed at JW for a night. Staff was very accommodating from the valet to the bellman to check in. Got an upgrade to a corner room that was clean although small but was already aware of room sizes from reading other reviews. Concierge floor had a nice spread for happy hour. Had lunch at hotel restaurant waiting for the room. It was ok. Husband had Caesar salad with grilled shrimp and I had a mixed green salad with grilled chicken. Went to pool and jacuzzi that evening. I think the jacuzzi temperature was too hot to be good for you. But maybe they keep it high so people don't stay in it for very long. Also, there were a lot of kids playing in pool and jacuzzi which is ok just noisy especially in an enclosed pool area. The location is the ace for this hotel. Two blocks from White House on F Street and 14th. Valet parking was mandatory and a whooping $50/day! I understand this is downtown DC but really?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

All staff we encountered were amazing. From Valet to our check-out Associate. After long days at a special convention for Jehovah's Witnesses at Fed Ex Field it was so nice to return to such a beautiful property and enjoy room service or visit to a local restaurant. The lounge served awesome food as well. We enjoyed a clean room and greetings on our day of check out from the General Manager. Thank you for a wonderful stay!!

Stayed August 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

It's centrally located, convenient for business and sight seeing, lots of great restaurants in the areas. The Starbucks at lobby is a plus.

But it needs a renovation urgently, I feel like I was in the 80s when I entered the hotel. And the check in time at 4pm is ridiculously late, even so I was told that the rooms were not ready when I returned to the hotel at 4.

I requested a crib when I made the reservation 2 months ago, and when I checked in at 12 I was reassured that it would be in the room. But when I finally got the key to one of the rooms after 4 it was not there. I was then told by the front desk that it would be in the other room when it's ready. I had to call the reception a couple of times and went down to the reception to collect the keys for the other room one hour later and the crib was not even there. I had to call them again to ask for the crib and they did not even apologize or say anything but just uh uh then hung up. The service was crap. Finally a guy sent in the crib while he was at the same time busy with his text messages. In all the service was very disappointing. I will stay in W or Willard just opposite the road.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank jaosch
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review or property. Your feedback is truly one of the best tools that we have to better service our guests in the future.

Please allow me to sincerely apologize for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. It seems that we fell short in quite a few areas of service throughout your time at the hotel. There is really no excuse for your crib request to have not been placed in your room prior to your arrival. For that, I must apologize once more.

Our hotel is scheduled for a renovation in the beginning of December. This is an extremely high priority for our property.

You are a valued guest and your satisfaction is one of our highest priorities. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or if you would like to discuss this issue in more detail.

Kind Regards,