“Very sad for the price.”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

First, the hallways are dated and the room really tired, carpet worn and dirty looking.
Second, the fitted sheet was stained from top to bottom! Small red stains-the sheets had been laundered but whoever made the bed ignored the stains on these sheets that really should have been destroyed! I had to call for replacement and even these sheets were worn-not what I expect from a JW Marriott!
Third, there was a note on clock that it was programmed to change the time for daylight savings time-it did not change.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank NJfoxred
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We strive to provide the service that allows you to relax and enjoy your stay. I can certainly understand how these lapses in service, resulted in your stay falling short of our standards.

However, I'm happy to inform you that we are scheduled to have a rooms renovation later this year. I've also made the housekeeping team aware of your issues and we will learn and grow from your feedback.

If business or pleasure takes you back t Washington DC, please contact me and allow me to ensure a great experience.

Thank you for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,125)

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have stayed at many hotels but find that Marriott hotels are a la carte. For the price of a room, you get little more. Wifi, for example, is free at fast food restaurants, but $12.95 here. $42.00 to park your car. Recent stay at this hotel broke the bank. One day prior at Inner Harbour, MD, a hotel room was $114.02 with taxes (more than 1/2 the price), free parking, free cocktail hour and free breakfast. JW (Just Wait to see what else you will be paying for) Marriott, should take a look at the Hilton chain.

Room Tip: Use your phone as a hotspot to avoid $12.95/day internet fees or bring a pillow into the lobby
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your stay here at the JW Marriott Washington DC. We understand that paying for amenities can add up on a trip and we try to provide options for our guests. Guests seeking free internet are welcome to relax in our lobby or in our Starbucks and enjoy free Wifi.

Although 24 hour valet parking is available, those seeking to save money may park around the corner for less or avoid the whole thing by taking the Metro in. Whatever works for each guest, we strive to provide the level of convenience and service they desire.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I go to DC allot, it was first time staying at the JW, I would do it again, and actually will look forward to the next time I can!
I stay in ALLOT of Marriott hotels, this one is certainly worthy of the JW name, and again, outstanding location for business or vacation.

Room Tip: There are great views to be had, request one
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2014

the location is ideal, the hotel very good (not great) and staff very friendly and willing during my short stay. Room typical for Washington, smaller then other JW's and has great views on a clear spring day. Did not try the restaurants this time as many favourites that are so tempting, Value is ok with good security, a vewry important feature in this city

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014

You can't get much closer to Central DC than this hotel. Had a "hospitality" room on the 7th floor and a great view of the Washington Monument from a balcony. Hotel is immaculate and the bar food was good. Try the Lobster Mac and Cheese.

The elevator call system program drives me nuts. You put in your floor number on a keypad, watch for which elevator it directs you to and wait... wait.. wait. If you get on the wrong elevator you land up on the floor that was programmed by someone else.

Just one block from the Metro Center rail station, Buy a day pass. It's the best bargain in town.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor facing the Washington Monument
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Good:
The location is great, only a few blocks from the Metro Center station. The staff is very friendly, both my wife and I were given a nice reception, and they obviously do everything they can to give people a nice room with a view when possible. I was surprised to see a mini refridgerator in both rooms that I stayed in, that was a nice touch.

There are plenty of oulets next to the beds as well, important for smartphones. Finally, when it was open, the executive lounge was very well stocked. I wouldn't call the rooms small, as this is normal in a crowded city, they were what you would expect.

Not so good:
The gym is small, for a hotel of this size, was crowded in the morning and this is the off-season. The photographer who took pictures of the pool and gym should be given a raise, they definitely do a good job of making it appear much larger than reality.

The executive lounge being closed on weekends was a disappointment. The equivelant Starwood property would have at least offered a voucher for some bagels and coffee over the weekend, all Marriott is doing is offering a handful of points for the lack of convenience. The whole reason people stay in hotels is convenience, not impressed.

Finally all of the "to save resources" placards are annoying, how about some transparency and say "and to cut cost". Again, Starwood has it right with their "going green" promotion; reward people for helping you cut cost.

Overall, a good hotel, if money is no object i suppose it would be a great hotel. For the price, didn't get a lot in return.

Room Tip: The 15th floor windows are actually smaller than the rest of the building, going down a floor is wor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Falqon
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us here at the JW Marriott Washington. I'm pleased you were well received by our staff. They make a tremendous effort every day to please our guests.

We certainly do save money if we eliminate waste and we also feel we are doing something our customers value in recycling, reducing carbon emissions and reducing water and electricity usage. Our culture encourages us to pursue green programs on a broad scale. We are a Trip Advisor Gold Level GreenLeader hotel and the only IS50001 certified Hotel in the United States.

We certainly will share your feedback with the team this morning. Although we offer 1000 Marriott Reward points per night when the Executive Lounge is closed on Saturday and Sunday mornngs, we understand you value the convenience more.

Thank you for staying with us and please join us again.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The location of this hotel is great! Walking distance to all museums and monuments. The service was also good. The staff I interacted with were friendly and helpful. However the room I stayed in was less than average. I've stayed in nicer Holiday Inns and motels. Everything was a bit dusty as though the room hadn't been used in awhile. There was only one robe in the closet. The coffee maker was super tiny and not very well stocked. The locked door connecting to the adjacent room was in no way soundproof. We could hear every word our unknown neighbors were saying. For the price I guess I was expecting a little more.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry your stay was not what you had hoped for, as we certainly strive to make it so.

There is no excuse for dust having been overlooked and for that I apologize. We are always looking for ways up update our in room amenities, such as the coffee maker, your feedback is much appreciated.

Although our rooms come standard with one robe, we always have extras available per your request. Also, I understand the frustration of seeking peace and quiet only to be susceptible to loud noises next door.

Thank you for your feedback.