“Marriot classic”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #68 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Amazing location for the price. Left the car in parking my whole stay and we walked all of the attractions without the worry of a vehicle. Thankfully we had a nice view. Very Clean room. Very basic. No free internet which was a drag. would stay there again. The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We had a great room with a view of the Washington monument. Unfortunately, it felt cold and damp in the room. I can't understand why? The ac worked but everything else had a damp feeling to it. The refrigerator made noise everytime it came on like a hive of bees which woke me up several times. Lastly, I called for the car and it never arrived. Showed my ticket to the attendee and she still had the keys. Rather than just get the car she was trying to figure out what had happened. I don't really care what broke down on your end just get the car. I spoke with the manager. Nice guy, understanding and accommodating. I'm a Marriott rewards member for over 20 years. and normally believe in the value I get. Would I stay there again? Probably, just in a different room. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was the 4th time I have stayed in this hotel and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Great location but on a price basis, towards the upper end. I'd got some discount applied by conference organisers but I'm not sure I'd have opted to stay at the standard room-rate; bit too expensive. Of course, the in-hotel dining & Wifi are correspondingly expensive as well! That said, the lobby Wi-Fi is free and I browsed the net here for an hour or so whislt waiting to go to the airport.

The spa facilities are pretty good but as with most city centre hotels, the indoor pool was small.

The main reason you'd opt to stay here is the location, with the Smithsonian museums a couple of blocks away, the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and Capitol Building a bit further.

If you want to go a bit further afield I'd recommend Bike & Roll bike hire which is located next to the Federal Triangle Metro station.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Great location, friendly staff and gorgeous interior. The towels and bed sheets were uber soft. Not the mention, the water pressure of the shower was relaxing and made me not want to leave. My friends and I certainly enjoyed as much of the amenities offered. Last but not least, such a quick walk to the White House that it was practically your next door neighbor.

The only thing I was disappointment about was the room - the bathroom was small and the general lay-out of the guest room was smaller than what I've been used to in other Marriott establishments. Also, no free wi-fi in the guest rooms unless you're a Marriott gold or platinum member.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Terrific hotel in a great location...we were able to walk to museums, monuments, and White House. We felt safe walking with our 12 year old daughter day and night. The neighborhood is well lit with lots of foot traffic and restaurants close by. From the moment you arrive to the time you depart the JW staff helps you feel welcome and cared for. The hotel rooms are nicely appointed, beds & bedding are clean and comfortable. Room service is unbelievably quick. The JW Marriott has the absolute best indoor pool and hot tub! The Gift-shop and Starbucks in the lobby are a bonus. Staying here is always a good experience for my family of three. We have stayed here at least 5 times, several nights each time. The price is in the high $200.s plus parking and taxes. It's worth every penny. If you go, say hi to Papa and famous Raj the concierge!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The lobby is beautiful and huge!!

Check in was wonderfully painless. There is really no options with the valet. We tried to avoid it with no luck... $49 a day (a rip off unless you come and go a lot).

The hallways show some age to the hotel - there are huge gaps under some doors and wavy ceilings.

The room (room 885) wasn't very big. It has a little hard word entrance and a bathroom as soon as you walk in. The a little closet. There was a king size bed. It was comfy enough but not much room around the bed. The room is definitely not sound proof. We heard people talking in the hall and the staff have a storage room across the hall from this room and we heard them come and go. The safe was in a draw of the desk. We thought there wasn't one because we looked for it and didn't find it until we were checking all the draws before leaving but oh well.
The view was of the ac units and if you looked off to the side you could see a few other buildings. Rooms are rooms and there isn't much anyone can do to it to make it worth what companies charge especially if they are going to charge so much for parking as well.

Location - It was easy to find. So much stuff in that area. Everything is in walking distance. The White House is just 2 blocks away.

Food - we did not eat in any of the restaurants in the hotel because we took a look at the menus and it was cheaper to walk to other places and eat.

All and all not a bad stay but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for work travel, and its in the middle of it all. Very close to WH and dining. We walked dinner each night. Valet is expensive $42 a night), but you can park around the corner for a cheaper rate. The rooms were updated and very clean. Bathroom was slightly small, but hotel is very quiet. The elevator is tricky to use, so pay close attention on how to use it. I stayed on the same floor as the pool, but the smell was just noticable at the elevator. Other than that...once I got the bill under my door, I was like WHOA!! I am glad the company paid for this...room rate was expensive!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business