“Perfect hotel for Family sightseeing stay”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #69 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed five days through memorial day weekend.This hotel is modern,clean and very spacious.

On arrival thursday morning from Boston we were warmly greeted by the entire valet crew. We were lucking enough to have Papa help us with our bags. ( More on Papa in a bit). not wanting to pay the pricey valet daily parking fees,We decided to park the car ourselves in the garage.The valet crew could sense I was not familiar with the numerous one way streets I needed to take for the garage, so one of the guys jumped in the passenger seat,took me to the garage,walked with me to hotel elevators,then walked me to my waiting family at the front desk. (Unheard of right there!)

Once in the lobby you realize you are in a nice hotel.We were told that the hotel had 100 percent occupancy, But it never, ever felt crowded. The lobby is spacious with many seating areas. Sofas for the kids to lay on for awhile after a long day of sightseeing.

We requested and received a Pennsylvania Ave room view. Very nice room,Comfy beds,and PLENTY of fluffy white towels.Starbucks in the lobby,Great Corner bakery in same block for great,affordable breakfast/Lunch

My wife and I were slightly worried about bringing our 11,10,and 8 year old children to such a nice hotel. I can assure all parents considering JW that this hotel is kid friendly... high fives ad hellos from the doorman/valets/security,Shirley temples from the bartenders.Smiles from the staff.

Every morning we left the hotel we would run into Papa the valet and he would ask what we where up to, where we planned on eating,what we planned on seeing and always encouraged us to have fun.

Saturday morning Papa told us that parking would become free on the streets beginning at 7;00 pm right through memorial day and to get our car out of the garage to save $$.I told Papa it would be real hard to find a street spot, Papa told me not to worry about and look for him later that night. When we returned Papa had moved his own car into a spot right in front of the hotel that we moved into.(PRICELESS)

Later that night after having a few drinks with my wife at the very comfortable hotel bar, My wife sent me on a mission for spring water at a local CVS. Papa saw me leaving the hotel and asked me where i was heading. He told me to sit in the lobby and returned with a plastic shopping bag full of bottled water. Two more bags followed on consecutive nights at the hotel.

As a family we have stayed at pricier hotels in Disney ,New York and Mexico. none of those places treated my family and I any better than the JW.

I am a firefighter and my wife is a nurse, We are not wealthy and do not have exceptionally high standards. Safe, clean and friendly works for us.

I can assure you all that anybody that writes a bad review about this hotel has more hangups than the JW Marriott DC.................

Book it!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kevin O

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location close to all tourist attractions...walking distance to the White House..and museums. The room was quite small, however for a weekend break it was not a big deal.The hotel lobby is huge has alot of the sofas & chairs to just sit & chat. The elevator system is amazing....you never have to wait...especially if you are in a rush. The valet parking attendents's are quite friendly and very accommodating..but most of all very trustworthy.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

What more do you want? Safe, Clean, Friendly in a luxurious setting. The Staff are simply fabulous! Catering to every need and providing a secure environment for a solo traveller. Mylene at the Front Desk, Raj at the Concierge and Marjorie at Housekeeping stand out as 3 stars at this hotel. These wonderful people ensured my stay at the JW was wonderful.

Make sure you check out 1331 the bar/restaurant in the hotel. Yummy food at reasonable prices and excellent service. Fitsum provided excellent service. She knows the menu very well and made wonderful suggestions.

The location of the hotel couldn't get any better. Easy access to the museums and the Kennedy Centre is a short cab ride away. Possible to walk to Georgetown - M street has lots of fun shopping but also a short cab ride.

I will definitely be staying here again, the sooner the better. Why stay anywhere else?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank XDST82
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was disappointed. Last time we were on a high floor facing 14th Street and had a spacious room.

On check-in I mentioned to the clerk that I would like a nice room, preferably on a high floor. She said, "I'll give you a view." Cool! We went to the room it was smaller than normal becase it was in a corner, and had this funky L-shaped window.

I went back down and said I wanted a different room, because I knew how big our room was last time. She gave us a normal size room that had an Eastern exposure, which means a view of the roof top, ducts etc of the neighbooring building. We still had that weird L-shaped window that makes the room feel cave-like.

We were there 5 nights, no kiddos (rare), and I was a little bummed. On the flip side, it was very quiet to overlook a neighboring roof-top and we slep fantasitically. However, after an $1800 hotel bill I was hoping for a little more than simply a quiet place to sleep--can't I get that at a Holiday Inn?

Pros:
1. Location: you can walk to everything from here--monuments, museums, dinner. Central MIchel Richard was so close, and excellent, we went twice during our stay. Founding Farmers, a taxi cab away was also amazing but make reservations early
2.Quiet: if you are in it for a good night sleep the eastern exposure rooms are very quiet
3. Lobby: we had business at other hotels, and many have small lobbies, not the JW it is expansive but it drops from the top floor, which makes if feel a bit cavernous
4. Pool and Jacuzzi: they aren't that nice, they are indoors, but little kiddos were having a ball and we enjoyed the jacuzzi after a day on our feet, seeing our beautiful capital
5. Cleaning staff: our cleaning lady was so friendly, and she cleaned our room the second we left every morning. She was awesome.

Cons:
1. Tiny Bathroom: this is one of those wiggle around the door to get to the toilet type of bathrooms
2. Vibe: generic, corporate
3. Cost: JW is the top Marriott but this didn't feel like a top hotel in style, service, luxury.

Take home: It is an okay choice, but when you are paying top dollar for Marriott's top of the line hotel, you might expect a bit more luxury.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank solomentehawaii
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the JW Marriott was a nice one. The hotel is centrally located to most of the sights in DC. My one complaint is why on earth a hotel that costs so much does not have free wifi. I get free wifi at Farfield Inn by Marriott, but a hotel that costs 3 times as much wants $15 for 24 hours of Internet?

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank keyskong
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel is so nice, so clean and in the greatest location! Even thought it's an older building, the rooms are modern and they don't skip on the amenities. The gym is large and has enough machines and I never had to wait. And the elevator system also means no waiting. The location allowed us to walk every where in the city.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jogrant2
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was one of the best vacation experiences I've ever experienced. Staff was exceptional in all ways. Very helpful with directions to places and great recommendations. Rooms was very nice size and anything we asked for they were very prompt in addressing. Would highly recommend and if ever back in DC will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013