“Good location, Average for NA” 4 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #63 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Good location, Average for NA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed here for the weekend to run a half-marathon. As far as JW goes, it's a nice hotel and is on par with my expectations. The lounge serves good breakfast. What annoys me about Marriott and most North American big chain hotels is that most of them close the lounge on the weekends, which in my opinion is a big disappointment.

I got a corner room, but the hotel is overall nice and quiet. The location is great because it is close to the subway system, and there is no shortage of food around the area. It is also walking distance to the verizon stadium, and that makes it convenient if you manage to combine the weekend with a hockey game like I did.

Service is average, good but no one went above and beyond. So far I have not gone to another hotel in Washington but may start venturing.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with corner rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KingmanP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Lititz, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Attended a business event the first week of May 2013. Room was not ready when I arrived mid-morning, but they promised to call me when the room was ready. 2 hours later I received that call, simply picked up my key at the front desk, and went to my 10th floor room overlooking Pennsylvania Avenue and the Washington Monument. Good room size, very clean and comfortable. Location was great, 2 blocks from a Metro Station after I had arrived by train at Union Station. Evening walk to the Mall and many interesting sights was a nice break from all-day meetings. YOu can't go wrong staying at this JW Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for room on Pennsylvania Ave. side 9th floor or higher
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback on the JW Marriott Washington! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. As the host for hundreds of high level meetings and conferences, we work hard to deliver genuine hospitality for attendees such as yourself. The staff will appreciate your comments, which we will be sharing!

Dan McKeon
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Spent 4 days in DC for our anniversary. The hotel upgraded us to a corner window room with views of The US Capital and Washington Monument. They brought up chocolate covered strawberries and champagne which was a very nice touch and so appreciated. DC is a great city and this location is central to all of the sights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oehler_melissa
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here and paid what I thought was a pretty steep price (even for DC) for a standard, ordinary room (just over $310 per night with tax) only because it was near an event I was attending. For that price I was put on one of the lowest floors - no view which fortunately I didn't care about since I was going to be there less than 12 hours. I requested a room change because the first one had a strong musty/mildew odor coming from the vent but it was like the desk clerk didn't understand English. He may have been new which is why he insisted the room windows could be opened (they could not) and regardless would not make the mildew problem any better. The 2nd room was fine and like I said, ordinary. Marriott beds are comfortable & rooms are clean and in good condition. This place has the strangest electronic elevators I've ever seen - no one warns you about them when you check in so you're left to figure them out on your own. Valet parking fee is ridiculous ($50) so park yourself in the same garage (under the hotel with direct elevator to lobby level) for a flat $15 daily rate on weekends. If I had known the Willard was across the street I would have stayed there instead.

Room Tip: If I were staying longer or if I were a tourist I would have requested a room with a view on a highe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DCgogirl
Front Royal, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a little late of a review, but it might help those debating which Marriott to stay at while in D.C. since there are quite a few to chose from. My girlfriend and I stayed at this location the past New Years Eve. I am a platinum Marriott member and only got the status due to extensive travel for business. After arriving at the location around 3pm the front desk informed us that our room was not quite ready, but we could leave our bags in a secure room go grab a snack and when we returned our room would be ready or they could offer us another room. I asked should we take another room or wait for this one. The gentleman at the desk advised me to not make a switch. After grabbing a quick snack on the town we arrived back at the hotel and went to our room (about 30 minutes elapsed). The room was amazing! Our view was overlooking the city on Pennsylvania Ave. We even had a partial view of the National Mall. The room was clean not sort of clean like most hotels, but spotless. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for hospitality and a worry free trip. The only downside is that it is a JW which means the price is a little higher than a normal Marriott, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bakes419
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Downtown DC is just expensive, and the rooms tend to be smaller than in other cities. (except New York) That said, this is a lovely hotel in a great location for walking to almost everything, and convenient for public transportation as well. The hotel gym is very good... the gentleman who was working there even refilled my water for me while I was using one of the machines. As we have no status in the Marriott system, we probably got one of the worst rooms in the hotel, on a low floor overlooking the courtyard. We had requested a king and had to settle for a double. The woman who checked us in was somewhat rude and curt when I asked if there was something better available. But we still had a nice stay. I prefer the W just a block away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the DC JW for quick business/family trip. The hotel location is fantastic. Walking distance to the Mall, White House, Smithsonian, etc. Considering it's neighboring hotels, I would rate the JW as a good value. It is an older building and as such, lacks the beauty of many of the JW properties. The rooms are rather small, but nicely appointed. The staff was wonderful. I did take note from other TA reviews and allowed plenty of time for the car to be brought up in valet. It took about 30 minutes on a day where the hotel was not too busy. We would return to the JW DC for the value and location.

• Stayed March 2013