“So Disappointing!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“So Disappointing!!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I took my son for a quick visit to DC and everything was great EXCEPT for our hotel choice! We were very impressed when we walked into the JW Marriott's spacious lobby. My son's words: "Wow, this is fancy." Unfortunately, it was downhill from there. Our 3rd floor room was tired and in serious need of an update. But I figured that our rate was relatively low ($229 not including tax), so I couldn't really complain. In the room, we found several hairs on the bathroom floor and toilet seat, several goldfish crackers under the nightstand and get this--several pieces of old bacon crusted into the rug! I complained to the front desk but was told there was no other rooms they could move us too. They offered to send housekeeping but my son had fallen asleep so I took them up on their second offer, which was to have the manager call me "first thing in the morning." By noon, I had not yet received a call and we needed to check out. I called to let them know we were leaving and didn't want to do so before showing them the mess in our room (was afraid the hotel would possibly think we did it!). They said they were sending someone to our room and after waiting 20 minutes, they sent in the floor manager, who apologized profusely and said she hoped we'd come back again soon (as if!). I said I still wanted to see the manager and she said we would have to go downstairs to meet him. The manager also apologized but actually seemed as if he couldn't be bothered with my complaint (as if the fact that old food crusted into the carpet and hairs in the bathroom were not a big deal). He responded to everything i said with, "I totally understand your frustration." He didnt even seem to be listening to me! What was funny was that he too said he hoped I would give them a second chance. I told him that was very unlikely! So in sum--lobby, nice; gym--nice; location--great; room and staff (at least the ones I met)--not even close to what you would expect from a huge hotel in one of the most travelled to cities in our country! Do yourself a favor--if you can afford to do so, pay a bit more money and stay someplace that is clean and bacon-free and where the manager actually cares. Ps--I mentioned to him that I would be writing about my stay in Trip Advisor, to which he said, you guessed it, "I totally understand."

Room Tip: Ask if the room has been updated within the past 10 years and if they remembered to clean it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 42Pam
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Certainly this experience is unacceptable and we apologize for this event. Our JW Marriott Washington has some of the highest cleanliness scores in the brand, but we do make mistakes like this one. we work diligently to inspect and ensure such episodes are avoided at all cost.

Thank you for the feedback. We understand your frustration.

Dan McKeon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great location. Easy Metro Access. Great service. Everyone was helpful.
Very busy. But not overwhelming.
Love the concierge lounge. The room sizes vary throughout, even for my colleagues and I who are all Gold Elite.

Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Really nice hotel. Better than any Marriott I've stayed in lately. The room was comfortable and well equipped with nice amenities like bathrobes and well-stocked mini bar. While the rooms aren't exceptionally big, they are comfortable. The location is well-suited for visitors since it's so centrally located, as well as being near the Metro. I definitely recommend this hotel and would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Like many other travelers have noted, the location of this hotel is ideal, especially for those who are looking to explore the historical sites. The hotel itself is beautiful and attractive. The people at the front door and concierge were less than friendly and not very helpful, but those hosting at the restaurants were very kind and welcoming. The restaurants were nice, but overpriced. The room and bathroom was much smaller than expected, but clean - it deserves an update (redo moldings, paint). You are paying for the location, not the actual beauty and wonder of the hotel room & amenities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jackson Heights, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The hotel is clean, the concierge staff is helpful and it is right near everything. You are treated like a special person by all. The rooms are comfortable and quiet. You can walk to just about anywhere you want from here. But if you are not the walking sort, the Metro is steps away.

Orlando, FL
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I visited D.C for business and chose to stay at the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania Ave between 13th & 14th. I thought it was a great location. That's about all it has.
The room was plausible. A bit small but clean. The hotel restaurant on the lower level needs help. Service was not up to par and neither was the food. The hotel bar is ok, but extremely over priced.

Not much more to say.

• Stayed April 2013
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have used the JW Marriott for our galas several times in the past and it was usually a "good" experience. Just want you all to know that the dinner for 500 last night, from salad to lamb chops to dessert, was "very good," including the service - efficient, pleasant, well-staffed.

One of the real changes in the DC food scene this past decade has been the competitiveness of hotel restaurants...they finally get it that if they provide full service, they will keep the $$ in the hotel. Way to go JW!!