“hmm...”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #66 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 7, 2013

As a GSR in a hotel myself, I was expecting a bit more out of this hotel. It ranks higher in competition than the one I work for, and I must say I was a little disappointed. The linens on the bed are white, yet i found several black marks on the sheets and the pillows. I also get that it is located in the District, but the prices for the mini bar are RIDICULOUS. My stay was only for one night, so on a scale of 1-10 I would rate this at a 6 for the accomodation needs I had. For a longer stay...I would probably find a different hotel. The only thing I liked was the Starbucks located in the lobby,

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor...not a single sound was heard from the street or in the halls. Great slee...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank truthbtold315

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Since this is a JW Marriott and not a regular Marriott, I had high expectations. My sister and I had plans to go to the Kennedy Center, and this hotel had excellent rates (maybe a special rate?) for our Sunday evening stay. We had a 10th floor room near the elevators, facing Pennsylvania Avenue, and the view was spectacular. Normally we like rooms far from the elevators, but here it was not a problem -- the elevators are separated from the hallways leading to the rooms so you really can't tell you're right across the hall from them.

The room was small, but the setting and amenities (plush bathrobes, higher-end toiletries) made up for it. We knew about the minifridge and snacks tray being motion-sensitive so we didn't touch any of it unless we intended to purchase something (the price list is, luckily, provided outside the minifridge).

My sister is in the Gold Elite level of the loyalty program, so we had access to the concierge lounge. It's one of the nicer Marriott concierge lounges I've used, a more extensive breakfast selection than most. We had a Sunday evening drink and small bite in the bar after we returned from the theatre. Prices were high, as we expected, but not unreasonable given the quality of the food and drink that we had.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance or a short Metro ride from this hotel. You're within walking distance of the monuments and Smithsonian museums so it's ideally located for sightseeing. The Metro itself is about 2 blocks away so it's a quick ride from the airport or train station (unless you have a lot of luggage, in which case I'd say take a cab).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jody C
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I don't really have a bad word to say about this hotel, everything about it was fantastic.
The room size, the food, the staff, the location, all incredible.
You are withing walking distance of all of the top attractions at DC. Also several very nice restaurants and bars.
If i were to visit Washington D.C again (which i will!) I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: A tip would be to ask for a room facing the monuments, because that view is just breath-taking. If y...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Roseanne B
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Hotel is great and is located on Pennsylvania Avenue, a 5-min walk away from the White House. The rooms are nice, the staff are friendly and the facilities (such as the gym) are wonderful - there's even a Starbucks inside the hotel. My only criticism is that they didn't provide plug adaptors for the rooms, and the shop charged $20 to purchase one. Other than that, it's a great place to stay in a great city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike Y
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel is really nice on the inside and you could have a good view depending on where your room is. My room faced the W so nothing much to see. This location is close to great restaurants like Hamilton, Old Ebbitt which are fantastic. The room can get a little pricey so if you are traveling on a budget I would suggest looking around. This location is 5 long blocks from the Metro and walking distance to major attractions. Pack comfortable shoes because DC is best by foot. I went to the bar on the rooftop patio of the W and it was great for working professionals.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ktjf07
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I don't usually bother with writing a hotel review, but I was really surprised that this property is labeled a JW Marriott and thought travelers should know the real scoop. The location is great if you are going to the Smithsonian and other sites, but that's where it ends. The lobby is lovely, but our rooms (702 and 704) were definitely more in the aging Courtyard level. Furniture was dinged up, dirt in the corners, etc. There was nothing so terribly wrong that it could not be handled, but there was a long string of things that were not right.

We arrived Christmas Eve, and checked out December 30th. Perhaps the inconsistencies were due to holiday staffing. I also wonder if we were on a downgraded "families with kids" floor because of asking for connecting rooms. There were actually four adults and one 12 year old in our party. The rollaway bed for my nephew had to go in the room with the king-sized bed, because there was no way it could have been folded out in the room with two double beds. Smallest Marriott rooms I've ever seen.

It became a family joke to check and see whether or not my parents had a bathroom rug (some days yes, some days no), and if the diabetes test strip that was on the floor under my bathroom sink when we arrived was still there. And it was. Every day. I scrubbed the yellow goo off the bathroom light switch when I arrived, but I suspect it would have still been there had I not. Sometimes a recycle bag, sometimes not. Marriott has a reputation for small bathrooms, but these were really tiny. Definitely no sharing. And they have an obvious problem with moisture not being vented. That being the case, replace the rusty light fixture!

I've stayed in lots of Marriott properties, and can't think of why the beds at this one were so awful. Cheap, visibly sagging, and so light they would slide several inches off the base during the night. Honestly the worst hotel bed I've had in a very long time, including several budget hotels because of a recent family illness.

Christmas dinner at the restaurant was nearly inedible. Two of us sent back the cold, overdone prime rib, and two of us decided not to bother because what came back after the returns (they only took two, even though we all indicated it was unsatisfactory) came back looking even worse.

When we first arrived, we were given an explanation of the mini-bar that will bill you if you pick something up from it for more than 20 seconds. Since we were traveling with a 12 year old boy who would not be able to resist the urge to test this system, we asked that all of the mini-bar items be removed. It was also located on the corner of a desk where you could easily knock an item off the tray by accident. They were cheerfully removed, and then billed to our room every day that we stayed. The charges were removed when contested, but it was another hassle. There was also a lady arguing with the front desk over being charged for items that her child had picked up to show to her.

Really, I'm not usually so negative, but this is not a JW Marriott level property. If you want a convenient location, it's great. Just don't expect luxery or consistent service.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AnRene
Jim R, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear AnRene,

First I want to apologize that your recent stay at the JW Marriott Washington, DC did not meet your expectations. Second I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with this constructive feedback. I am very sorry to hear of your negative experience, and I have made sure that all of your concerns are addressed with departments who did not meet your expectations. There are certainly some service issues that I will address, but unfortunately due to the design of the hotel there are multiple room sizes and layouts. I am sorry to hear the ones that were assigned to you and your family was smaller than you liked. I would certainly like to speak to you personally regarding your concerns and can be reached at 202.393.2000.

Respectfully,
Jim Redington

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently attended a holiday party at this property and reserved a room. What a wonderful experience and great location. The front desk staff was friendly, thoughtful and extremely friendly. They offer valet parking which we thought was really pricey but there are a few garages close for half the price. The bars and restaurant choices inside the facility are good and diverse while there are plenty of other dinning choices close by. You cannot beat this location if you are visiting downtown DC, it is walking distance to National Mall, Penn. Quarter area and all local attractions. It is a quite hotel, the rooms are spacious and the beds are quite comfy!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms by elevators
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple