“Steps from the White House.” 4 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #62 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Steps from the White House.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Located 1 block from the entrance to the White House Tour gate. Older hotel, but Marriott always does their best to keep things fresh.
Pros: Location: close to lots of attractions, good restaurants and 3 blocks from the Metro. Great view from the corner room overlooking PA Ave. Concierge lounge offers a full breakfast during the week. Many, fast elevators.
Cons: Only offers valet parking...but you can self park for $30 on the other end of the block. Small, cramped bathroom.
Spend a little extra $$ and upgrade to a corner room overlooking Pennsylvania Ave. It offers a GREAT view...we saw the Presidential motorcade entering the White House grounds!

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and upgrade to a corner room overlooking Pennsylvania Ave. Great view...you mig...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business for three nights. As a woman travelling alone I appreciated the feeling of security around the lobby area and I felt quite comfortable using my laptop to access the free wi-fi (why don't hotels charging room prices like this provide free wi-fi in rooms - it is so niggardly?). The room was comfortable and clean but I never did get the hang of the air con which seemed to blow out either cold or hot air but nothing in between. The bed was lovely. What brings down the satisfaction score is the food costs. The room service charges, with their 22% surcharge, were unacceptable so I went down to the Avenue Grill below the lobby. The menu was the same, the high prices were the same and tax was charged on top of them so I ended up paying nearly $50 for a crab cake main course and a glass of wine. It was much more expensive than the Old Ebbitt Grill with none of the atmosphere and not so good food. So my advice is stay here, but don't eat here.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LondonBarneys
Portsmouth, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here one night Nov 3rd. The location is great. The hotel itself is nice, but the location sells it.
We had a view of the Washington Monument and the White House was close. There are plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RealTravelAgent1
Travelin'
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I arranged group reservations for a business association and this hotel was in the ideal location to allow for walking to our activities. It also did not fail to disappoint as a top-of-the line flagship hotel for Marriott. I have never stayed in a JW so this was a real treat.

We received an excellent group rate for the hotel but did not reserve or use any meeting rooms for our trip. It could not have been possible without great help from our Marriott Corporate group travel representative Sheryll Paraiso and we appreciate all her help.

The hotel is right in the heart of DC on Pennsylvania Ave, a couple of blocks from the White House. But when you enter their lobby, you are transported to a luxurious accommodation and world unto it's own. They do have a splash of history abounding as well (see photo below of the Women's Suffrage march on the wall). But this hotel is more about escaping from the daily grind of business for our group and relaxing for the evening.

As the group leader I was fortunately granted a corner executive king room with a two window view out onto the city (yes that's the tip of the Washington Monument in the photo). In leading the group I also received an excellent thank you package of fruit and wine. Truly the royal treatment.

Others in our group seemed very pleased with the hotel as well, perhaps even more well rested than some colleagues who chose an alternate hotel. But that is speculation. I know that our group enjoyed the lounge and breakfast but don't expect complementary in any high end hotel. I also paid for the wi-fi access and it delivered as promised including video conferencing.

I found check-in to be efficient and all employees treated you like a VIP as expected in this establishment. I found the valet to be patient even with our van transport and sluggish loading times for our group. Be sure to check the vehicle height maximums for their valet garage, we were prepared as anyone should in DC.

Even though I was in a corner room only a few floors up from the road, I did not find much noise as all. The windows are thick not letting in sound nor the cold wind.

The elevators are different but great when you get used to them. You have to punch the floor number you want to go to, then the elevator lobby screen will direct you to Elevator A thru E. This is a great system once your brain processes how it works. Also don't forget the -1, -2 and -3 lobby floors (yes negative number floors!)

We would definitely consider this hotel again for our annual trip.

Room Tip: The corner executive king room I had looked out on the corner of 14th street NW and Pennsylvania Ave...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Monroe Township NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

JW Marriott is a top level hotel, right near the White House in DC. We were there for a weekend with my son who is attending Catholic University of America and the metro system which is 2 blocks away is also great for connections around town. The rooms were comfortable and very clean and we were able to walk to some fine restaurants in the area including Finemondo Italian Kitchen and my Favorite, Legal Seafood in Chinatown

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Belcamp, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the JW 12-14 Oct on a family trip to the D.C area and we were less than satisfied. Check in was a breeze since we arrived around 7:30 pm on a Friday evening however, when we arrived at our room it was an accessible room with one king bed for two adults and two children. The bell hop was nice enough to go down and request another room for us, so we didn't have to make the trip with the kids.

The following day after a long day of sightseeing and walking, we returned to the hotel only to find that the elevators were not operational, the staff was yelling over walkie's at one another providing guest with inaccurate information, which was very frustrating.

We decided to eat at the Avenue Grill located inside the hotel and the service with awful. We waited almost an hour for our food and when it arrived my son's cheese pizza was nowhere to be found. Our waiter was very cordial, however this was unacceptable. The pizza arrived 15 minutes later and the manager didn't ever offer to comp it (not looking for at hand out, it's just the principle).

After dinner, we returned to the room and our heating unit was blowing only cold air. We called the front desk and instead of moving us, they decided to have maintenance come in at 10 pm at night to work on the unit. Needless to say I was still tired the next morning and have no intension of staying at this hotel again.

FYI, be sure to inspect your vehicle when it returns from the Valet, because my passenger side door had a small dent that I didn't notice until we arrived home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BKLYNQT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed here from 10/28-11/2, during hurricane storm Sandy. My room was on the 10th floor and had a protected window so you wouldn't know that there was a storm out unless you saw it on tv. The room was very quiet and very nice. I love that this hotel provides robes, for when you decide to go to the hottub or swimming. The hottub water is slightly warmer than luke warm, rather disappointing. There is a very nice dry sauna in the locker room which will warm you up quickly. The fitness center was never busy when I went at 9:00 am, 5:00 pm, or 10:00 pm. There are apples in the fitness center, which is a nice snack. The staff was very accommodating during the storm. The bathroom was very small. When you close the bathroom door it almost touches the toilet. The drawer safe in the desk was very convenient. The staff at Starbucks in the lobby is very unfriendly so just around the corner is the Corner Bakery, which I highly recommend. The staff at the restaurant is very helpful. The elevators are the newest technology where you press in your floor number and enter the assigned elevator car. There are so many dining options closeby and a CVS two blocks away in case you forgot anything or want snacks. The Metro is a short two block walk.

I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Washington DC!

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hall have less "people walking by" noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business