“Hyatt, Capital Hill, doesn't care about competition because of location”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #73 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 18, 2010

The Hyatt at Capital Hill in Washington, DC just doesn't make the mark when comparing the services and features of other competitors, such as Marriott. Yes, the location is excellent, but the rooms are tiny and housekeeping mediocre. Let's talk about what the architects missed in designing the rooms. The showers are tiny, with no accomodations for tioletries. There is an inwall soap dish, not large enough to hold shampoo, conditioner, or a razor. The floor is your only option. Which, by the way, needed a good scrubing. Thanks heaven's I brought my flip flops. Pedestal sinks are for powder rooms. Doesn't anyone think about space for cosmetics, grooming items, and toiletries. The narrow shelves above the sink are a joke. By the way, there was enough room in the hall area of this room for the shower to have been made at least 2 feet larger. A simple observation.
Our first day of maid service was less than satisfactory. The maid did not leave hand towels, washcloths, shampoo, toilet paper or coffee. At $350 a night, this must have been a slight oversight. I hate ringing housekeeping to let them know their staff is forgetful. We had a 3 night stay.
The room location was also awful, right above the frieght delivery dock. Oh, well, shame on me for not asking to be moved after not sleeping half the night. The beds and pillows, however are wonderful! Packing in moving is not enjoyable when you have a business schedule. Thank goodness, I packed my Lunesta.
The restaurant was acceptable. We enjoyed the buffet the first evening. Price was competitve. Food somewhat cold, but that's what you ask for, when you chose a buffet.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
HRWDC, Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2010

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We always welcome guest feedback, as it helps us improve the quality of our services.

We pride ourselves on providing exemplary service, and sincerely apologize that we neglected to meet your expectations in this area. It is our standard to provide all the necessary toiletries, including hand towels, washcloths and coffee for every guest on a daily basis. We welcome your call if something gets overlooked during the servicing of your room to ensure you are satisfied with your stay.

We're sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the overall features and location of your guest room. The rooms were initially designed to be more modern, and we will take your recommendations into consideration when planning for our next room renovation. We are glad you enjoyed the comfort of the Grand Bed.

We certainly hope that you give us another opportunity to welcome you back and provide the quality service you expect from our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill

Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed here with a conference and was very impressed. I don't think I have ever stayed anywhere where the staff were so friendly and helpful. Everyone from the front desk, to the restaurant, to the cleaning staff went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. I thought the room was quite good sized for a DC hotel. It is in easy walking distance to the Capitol. I wish the internet had been free, but I have noticed that hotels that house conferences do tend to charge for internet. $10 a day was not too bad, and the internet was fast.

I would happily stay here again, and would like to stay here sometime for a vacation.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
thagin, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2010

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Washington. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2010

I was recently at the Hyatt Regency in Washington DC with my family and extended family. We took advantage of their "Stay 2 - Save More" program and paid $89.00 for two nights. The valet parking was $41.00 per night but worth not having to worry about parking. We were greeted by very pleasant hotel staff and a most helpful concierge. The rooms were clean and the beds were firm. The pool area, while clean, was very cold because of the air conditioning. Overall our stay was excellent. The hotel is 1 1/2 blocks away from the Capitol and 2 blocks away from Union Station.

We did not take advantage of the hotels restaurant because the prices were extremely high. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
HRWDC, Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2010

Thank you for taking time to review your stay. We're glad you and your family enjoyed your visit. Sorry you weren't able to dine with us. We often run promotions during the summer and holiday time frames, which offer breakfast for families or a discount in the restaurant. Hopefully next time you will be able to take advantage of one of these offers as well. We hope to see you and your family during your next trip to DC!

Reviewed September 3, 2010

We originally had a room booked at Donovan House but were heading to DC for the Restoring Honor Rally and were informed of a nice group rate at the Hyatt. We were quoted $101 per night. We stayed for 2 nights. The room was TINY!!! Only 2 of us and we kept having to get out of each others way. There was a pubic hair in the soap dish in the shower. It was very noisy in the mornings as well, and we were tucked in a corner far from the stairs and elevator. I had requested a mini-frig for medication and was told I would have one. When we got to the room there was no frig. I called the front desk and was told that there were no refrigerators available for "state rooms". So we had to keep a cooler full of ice all weekend. When we checked out, the rate they charged was $10 more per night.$111 instead of $101. Not much but when you figure parking at $42 a day- it adds up!!! We'll definitely stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Stephenie K

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback about your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Washington. Your feedback allows us the opportunity to investigate any guest issues and take action to resolve them for our future guests when possible. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this valuable information.

We apologize that you were dissatisfied with the size and location of your room. As you know, we were quite busy during the rally and would have happily offered to move you to a different location if requested. I regret that we were unable to provide you with the necessities you required during your stay. This is not acceptable and can assure you we have taken action to prevent this from occurring again in the future. We want to ensure that our guests are completely satisfied and strive to provide exceptional service.

Furthermore, I’m sorry to hear that there was a discrepancy in your rate and that this was not resolved to your satisfaction upon departure. We would be glad to look into this further if you would like to contact us. We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide the quality and service our guests have come to expect from Hyatt.

Reviewed September 2, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. It is an ok hotel, not great, not horrible. It is much more run down than the pics show. We stayed here because it advertises it has undergone millions of dollars of restorations. The hallways were a bit run down, rooms not as nice as pics. Location is fairly good, about 2 blocks from the capitol. There are no rooms that face the Capitol as it shows in pics. The price to park your car is $45 a day and the breakfast buffet is $20 a person. There are a lot of restaurants at Union Station that are a little more reasonable. This is our first time in DC so not sure how to compare to other hotels in this area. Would probably try another hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KCstravelsx2
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Staying at hotels has become a hobby of mine...I truly, truly enjoy it. And I hope to oneday work for the hotel industry and/or review hotels for a living...

This hotel is easily, easily in my top 5 --- all tied for 1st place of course! To be frank, I don't know why...and I don't even care whether this was energy efficient or not, but when I walked into my room, all the lights were on, nice & bright, the tv was on too and tuned into the hyatt welcome channel...it was great! Made me feel welcome &...special even:-)

Count it...all the amenities are there...yes folks, including toothpaste! I don't even know where to start so this review will be all over the place. The decor of the room was right...just right (see the pics). The bathroom was beautiful! The lighting was perfect. Guest services (including room service) was top-notch...the lobby bar is gorgeous...the lobby overall was great...the restaurant with the breakfast buffet was great...even their little gift shop was great...oh, and the gym was equipped with lots of new equipment! I mean...just go...it's a nice area (Capitol Hill)...a little far from National Mall...but it's still in walking distance. Right by Union Station --- which was a great spot for food options & shopping. Only 1 tiny...tiny...tiny flaw...the pool is small...and not that new...but who cares? Who goes to DC to swim anyway...

I mean...just go:-)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Stayed in July with wife and 3 kids (4, 11, 13). Had suite with adjoining room, all comfortable, clean, bedrooms a little cramped, bathrooms very small. Staff all very friendly and help, excellent concierge. Breakfast not included and quite expensive, but we knew that and I don't think it's unusual. Pool was a bit of a disappointment, as it's a bit basic, and very cold.

A number of reviwers have been critical about standards, but bearing in mind that this hotel is aimed squarely at tourists and mid-price business travellers, it provides just what one expects.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family