“Fine Hotel”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 20, 2007

The hotel is clean, the staff was friendly, everything was satisfactory. The bed was great, the breakfast copious. Don't stay in a room for disabled people, because there seems to be a lot less furniture. There is a firestation nearby, but if you get a room facing inside, that should be no problem. The location is in a slightly deserted area, but if the weather is okay, it should be perfectly fine it's your able to walk a little. You're near the Capitol, Supreme Court, library of congress. The National Gallery is 10-15 minute walk. The homeless shelter everyone complains about is not really "near" the hotel, and is not a bother at all. You don't even have to walk by it if you don't want to, and if you are coming from any major city in the country, it's nothing out of the ordinary if you choose to walk by it on your way to the sights.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill

Reviewed April 14, 2007

hotel is in a nice location...just down the street from the US Capital building. View from front of hotel is excellent...a bonus night view. The hotel is overall nice. If you have a group make sure that you are on one side or the other together, because you will have to take the elevator down and then back up on the other elevator. Overall rating is above average, while maybe a little/slightly below my other hyatt experiences.

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank lil2coupe
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Got to this Hyatt about 5 pm. No room available unless we wanted one without a desk. I said that would be fine ,we'd flown from the west coast and wanted to relax. Given a room on the fourth floor that was very small.Closet tiny but got our clothes in after we requested more hangers. There was alot of noise due to traffic but the real fun begins about 11 pm. That's when the big trucks start coming in to drop off supplies for the hotel. So we got to hear diesel engines, back up horns, jake brakes, and regular horns till sometimes 1 a.m.! I asked for a different room the next day but the desk clerk told me that the other side of the hotel had four lanes of traffic, rather than two, and it would be loud there too. I got the idea that she just didn't want to change us and I (mistakenly) quit pushing for a different room.
I ended up using earplugs and drugging myself the entire week we were there!
The only good things I can say about this place are that the housekeeping staff kept the place immaculate and you are very close to the metro (about 2 blocks.) I would not, however, stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank goldiep
Reviewed March 30, 2007

Got a really great deal on hotwire $103/night for 2 nights. Customer service was great, but we checked in our room smelled terribly of smoke, we complained, they tried to clean it for over an hour, comped us at the bar, still smelled, then they comped our parking. We asked to be moved but they were overbooked. We asked to be moved the next day and at 3P when we returnted to the hotel they still hadn't moved us but when we asked they did. Toilet pressure was terrible, had to constantly flush and coffee pot exploded coffee all over. When I told them at checkout they comped our parking for the second day. They are customer services oriented, and it was fine, but if I was paying a higher price I would be unhappy. If I got a good rate as above, I would stay again, other then that no. However, it was an excellent location and everyone was customer service oriented

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank beanobob
Reviewed March 28, 2007

Say, I know hotels are in business to make money but I feel this Hyatt goes out of your way to gouge its clients. Three examples: I was charged 9.95 per day for internet service; There was a freaking fee to use the swimming pool and they charged me 11.00 to accept an ovenight letter for me. Some people are paying 300.00 for a room like mine...unbelievable, and to my mind outrageous.

In addition, management and the staff was cold, indifferent and provided confusing, contradictory information.

The room was a real disappointment. Although the hotel was renovated two years ago, the decor is insipid and boring. It also looks very dated-- all beiges and blacks. The furniture was worn. There was not much in the way amenities in the bath.

All this and it was supposedly an uprgade to a business room.

• Stayed: March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank frallan
Reviewed March 20, 2007

Background
I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill while finishing up conference travel and a related vacation in the area. I stayed here previously—about three years ago. Some improvements have taken place since my last stay and most notably, the rooms have been re-done in a more modern style. The bar and restaurant have also been non-smoking since new regulations in the District of Columbia went into effect on January 1, 2007.

The room was booked through a priceline bid ("name your own price") and was accepted for $65. The best rates are avaliable on the weekends. Upgrades were offered at the front desk for $150 for an executive suite to $300 for the presidential suite.

Rooms
As mentioned, the rooms were redone sometime in the last few years and show minimal wear. The desk chair is comfortable and fits well with the height of the desk. The grand bed is comfortable and has many pillows and soft sheets. The bathroom specifically, seemed improved and has an elegant look with nice lighting.

Internet / Services
Wireless was available through T-Mobil hotspots for $ 9.99 per-day. I was able to borrow a wireless adapter kid from the front desk – and a $100 hold was placed as a deposit on my room bill/credit card.

During my stay, I needed to cash a check and the hotel was very helpful with this request. No fee was assessed. I was able to cash the check due to Gold Passport status.

The lobby gift shop has several snacks and drinks available. As one would expect, this was convenient but fairly pricey. A liquor shop is across the street and Union Station is quick walk – these vendors offer lower-priced alternatives for food, cigarettes and other items.

Occasionally there were long lines at the front desk. I also was put on hold for a while when trying to reach the desk by phone. This is a large conference hotel and with a lot of guests—this is expected but should be noted.

Location
The location is perfect if you have meetings on Capitol Hill. The Capitol is literally a block or two away from the hotel. Union station (Amtrak, Metro, ) is also very close to the hotel. This makes transportation convenient—if you are exploring the city, going to the airport, or catching a train. On the other hand, the neighborhood is quiet in the evenings and somewhat removed from the action, although close to the Capitol.

Extended Check-Out
Due to an ice-storm in the Northeast, my flight was delayed and I spoke with the desk about an extended checkout. The desk offered a 1PM checkout free of charge. I took an offer to checkout at 3PM for an additional $20 fee. I was disappointed – I was unable to attain a 2PM checkout despite Gold Passport membership. Given the storm and corresponding delays, I expected the hotel to be a little more understanding. Regardless, the late 3PM checkout (for a fee) offer was appreciated – despite the cost.

Other Tips/Recommendations
If you want to guarantee your room preferences, it may help to join Gold Passport and check in as early as 12PM using “1-800-check-in.” Gold Passport membership may grant free access to the health club facilities.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank nonflyer
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Stayed here on a saturday night spur of the moment trip to watch my hometown Islanders defeat the Caps. Nice lobby and breakfast(Package) was good. Beds were nice and room was clean. The area was dead but within walking distance of all we wanted to see including the Verizon Center.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family