“Great Location”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #78 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill from 11/8/13-11/9/13--usually stay at the Washington Court down the street, but decided to try this Hyatt. Generally, I loved Hyatts and they are very well appointed hotels.
PROS:

You can't beat this location if you want to be close to the Capitol and the National Mall attractions. Easy walk to museums, restaurants and even Chinatown and Georgetown Law School.
Hotel has all conveniences, a bar, restaurant, gift shop with essentials, etc (although none of these are inexpensive, but you have to expect the cost 1. it's a Hyatt not a days inn and 2. you're in the heart of D.C!)
The beds and pillows are reallly comfortable.
The GYM IS FANTASTIC!!!!!
All the staff was very nice.

CONS:
PARKING IS RIDICULOUS!! It's $48.00 per night, the Washington Court (literally down the street) is only $35.00 per night as seems to be in most other hotels I have stayed at in DC (my son goes to Georgetown Law and I've visited quite often) I am a Hyatt gold pass member and at many other Hyatt locations they waive the parking fee for members. However not the case here. A little disappointing.

I stayed in a standard double room, as it was only one night and was disappointed in the size and amenities in the room. I usually book a suite at Hyatts and didn't realize how much smaller a double would be. It also had no mini fridge and the bathroom was very small with barely any space to put out cosmetics since it had a pedestal sink!!(who puts that in a hotel room???)

Overall a nice hotel, and although I'd stay at other Hyatts, in this location I would probably go back to the Washington Court, just as nice with bigger room and less cost.

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms are very far from an elevator. I was on the 9th floor and my room was very...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (4,335)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Although it announces itself as being newly renovated, our mattress had seen better days. One of the bath towels was torn. There was no tiny fridge and finally, the room had no view...literally. It faced the windows of the other rooms. There was no way of knowing what was on tv, because it had no guide, and you had to change channel by channel. On the plus side, beautiful decoration, friendly employees and close to most of the many attractions.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our family loved this hotel and its location! 2 blocks away from Union Station with its restaurant choices, there was a place to eat everyday. Also a quick walk to the metro which was wonderful since we were able to get to China Town and other sites with no problem.

My only complaints....there was no view of the capital building from the rooms but just knowing we were so close to everything was magical. Also there were not a lot of child friendly channels on the T.V. for those after a long day resting moments.

We would definitely stay at this hotel in the future. We walked to a number of the sites since this hotel is not extremely far from a number of them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear LilB33,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Washington DC. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed our location and how it allowed you to access the metro allowing you quick access to surrounding destinations. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back as our guest, on your next visit to Washington DC.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I'm extremely disappointed in my stay at the Hyatt Regency and I will never stay at another Hyatt after my most recent experience. This hotel does NOT offer self-parking, but DOES use a contracted non-Hyatt owned valet service for $48 PER DAY for valet parking. However, I never saw the price adequately advertised. The management I spoke to at this Hyatt told me that they do not employ these valet drivers, but these same valet drivers are waiting as you check in to the hotel to take your keys and park your car. I have stayed at countless hotels in DC before and NEVER paid such an outrageous amount for parking--valet or otherwise. I felt like the Hyatt was VERY deceptive in using this contracted valet service while ALSO not offering self-parking or informing their customers of parking options upon check-in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda S
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Good Afternoon Amanda S,

Thanks for taking the time to share this review about your past stay at the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. I am so sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered with the parking arrangements at this location. I will forward your details to our management to review and again I apologize for the inconveniences, this would definitely be frustrating for any guest. Feel free to contact us at social.media@hyatt.com for any assistance. We hope to welcome you back on your next travels.

Safe Travels,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here on points - so obviously we felt the value was good. Our room was quiet and clean. The location is awesome for the Capitol, Union Station and the Newseum. It is a bit of a walk to the other end of the mall (Lincoln Memorial) though.

There are very few quick eat options around - other than Union Station and those seem to close at odd times we found. There is no CVS or Walgreens nearby - so stock up on bottled water and snacks if you are near one while out sight seeing. For breakfast, there is a Corner Bakery just up the street - much better and cheaper breakfast options than at the hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Was in DC for a conference. While the hotel is in a great spot for site seeing, when you are at a conference you want a few comforts in the room. Its not often in my experience that a hotel has neither a bar fridge or kettle in the room but thats the case here. They also charge a daily rate for wireless connection in the room. While maybe minor complaints they do make a difference.

1  Thank davidsyd1
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a very nice hotel despite the $48 per night required valet fee. The rooms were clean along with the whole hotel. The cleaning crew did an excellent job. The front desk staff is very nice. My children loved the pool which was heated. I would stay here again because of its location to Union Station.

Stayed: October 2013