“It didn't burn down”

GreenLeadersGold level
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“It didn't burn down”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for business, as part of a group for a conference, so I didn't pay the bill, but I know that the rooms were pretty expensive...more than I think they'd be worth. Also, it cost $50/day to valet your car, which was outrageous to me, but apparently standard in DC? I also had to pay extra for wifi internet. I've complained about this before, but again, why motels can provide free wifi and nicer hotels can't I will never understand. Well, yes, I guess I can understand: They expect their guests to be suckers is what I suspect. Anyway, I can't deal w/o wifi, so I paid $15/day for it. Again, I thought that was outrageous as well.

The staff was nice, and the room was clean. Not nearly enough counter space in the bathroom...actually, there isn't really a bathroom counter, just a ledge. Oh, the building was also FREEZING. Seriously, like a meat locker. Most places in the US like to go nuts with AC, but this was too much.

Now to the title of my review. The fire alarm went off at 4am the last night I was there. Everyone left (taking the stairs of course) the building, and we all watched from outside waiting for the hotel to start going up in flames. It didn't, thankfully, and we all went back to our rooms shortly after, but it was unsettling to say the least. It's never happened in any other hotel where I've stayed. When I was checking out, I asked if they might not cut me a break on account of that inconvenience (I don't know, cover the internet or parking for a day or something), and the gentleman kept saying that it was for my safety. I said I understood and appreciated it, that I realized it wasn't their fault, but that it was an inconvenience nonetheless and as a hotel, they should care about that stuff. Ultimately, he took $25 off my bill, which was nice, but I still think it wasn't enough and he argued with me too much.

1 Thank Melody M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This large hotel is within minutes walking distance from the Capitol. It has a reasonable American-style restaurant and a lobby lounge serving small bites. However, there is not any fine or even good dining nearby, though the excellent concierge will point you in the direction of good restaurants in the city.
Rooms are large and comfortable, though the air handling was quite noisy and had to be turned off at night because of this.
There are no smoking rooms and no balconies. A smoking area is provided with seats under some high cover outside the front door, though any wind would blow rain in.

Northern New Jersey
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Exceptionally well located to the Capitol and other downtown DC attractions including Union Station (actually walking distance) and very clean, well run, with a genuinely terrific and most accommodating staff. BUT, I have stayed here several times and it simply seems impossible to get a hot shower in the morning (lukewarm is the best you will get and they pretend it is something they don't know about when EVERY guest...I've spoken with others to confirm....has the same issue). ALSO, possibly the slowest elevators in the U.S.A., so if you are in a rush to get to or from your room, forget it and be prepared to wait an inordinate amount of time (not always, but often). On another note, the Club Floor was recently renovated and serves a nice breakfast and cocktails (for a fee...which is crass considering the somewhat hefty additional charge to stay on the floor for minimal amenities aside from breakfast and snacks in the late afternoon/early evening). To re-cap, I like the hotel, but wish they could fix these simple to address negatives. Especially the hot shower issue which is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Try not to get a front facing room as it can be noisy with emergency vehicular traffic.
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Can only say good things about this hotel, Great room, Great service and fantastic location..
Have learnt from experience if you want to visit DC plan your stay for the weekends, we got our room for $120 P/N thru expidia,,dueing the week the same room is close to $400 P/N and Washington DC is a great place for a weekend stay... Such a beautiful clean place, there is a little deli on the corner next to the Hyatt and they had great coffee and breakfasts.
If ever I go back to DC I would have no hesitation staying at the Hyatt again,but only if the price was right. and on your visit do the Capital Building tour and the Library of Congress IS such a beautiful building..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency this past weekend. I originally was placed in a basic King Room. The King room is certainly more than serviceable, and is very reasonable in price for the hotel's location (which I will return to).

I was hoping for a larger room, however, because I wanted the ability to stretch out and relax after a quite stressful week. Megan M., who works in the front, was able to help me with this request and showed herself to have considerable attentiveness to the hotel's guests generally. For what I thought was a fair charge, she provided me with an upgrade to a larger room, which was really excellent, and allowed me to catch up on work privately and generally have a pleasant and relaxing time. There were a few additional requests which Megan was most helpful with and so for any requests you may have she would certainly be someone to speak with.

Overall this was a nice hotel, and I was pleased with it. There are a few things to bear in mind, however:

1. The location of the hotel, while very close to the Capitol and the National Mall (and its museums), is located in a bit of an odd area. There is almost 0 nightlife in the area, and so it probably isn't an ideal location for a group that is looking for that (although it is a short easy cab ride to other locales). That said, I think that the price of the hotel may internalize this cost, and so you probably save a significant amount by staying in this location. Plus, if you are most interested in the National Mall (or business on Capitol Hill) you really can't do much better.
2. The hotel is large, and so unless you make yourself known and connect to the customer service staff, you may feel ignored or taken for granted. Until I asserted that I had particular requests for my stay I found the staff's service to be expedient but a bit hurried.
3. Breakfast is rather expensive (I can't speak to its quality, however), and I would recommend walking off-site. Concierge staff member Tom provided a great recommendation nearby which was more reasonable.

I was very impressed with the appearance and upkeep of the hotel itself-- the lobby is large and allows a lot of natural light, and serves as a nice resting point. Generally, the hotel is certainly very well-maintained and updated in style and decor with solid overall amenities-- on this front I would say it is almost unimpeachable.

Certainly a strong hotel worth staying at especially on a quiet DC weekend, when rates can be exceptional for what you are offered.

This was my first Hyatt stay and will certainly not be my last.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 11, 2013

In July, friends and I were in town for a convention and stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a week. Needless to say, very disappointing experience. For the price, rooms were less than ideal for our stay: we had double queen rooms which turned out to be extremely cramped for the amount of time and luggage necessary for our stay; cleanliness was average, with oversight required on some days to get the minimums taken care of (garbage, new towels, etc). After requesting a refrigerator in the room, I was disappointed when one of the staff members arrived with a tiny 2ft unit that looked like they pulled it from a junk sale...then had to find a random spot to place it in the room (ended up being the foot of the bed becoming more of a hassle than anything). And the prices...understand it's DC but really! In order to get WiFi you have to go to the lobby/restaurant area...if you use it in your room there is a charge; parking in valet was $40 per day; and the price for room service was out of this world...I ended up paying $25 one night for pie and ice cream. This review is abnormal for me...I've stayed in DC on multiple occasions and understand the area and price differences as compared to other large cities...but this experience definitely had me wanting to check-out on a daily basis...if only rooms were available elsewhere. Saving graces: staff friendliness, updated bathrooms, convenient to Union Station. For the price, I expected more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Hotel was nice. Walking distance to the train station. We took a cab to everything else around the city. My one complaint- I forgot contact solution and the store in the lobby didn't have. Front desk told me there was a CVS not far and pointed me in the direction. Turned out to be a crazy long hike across the city. I had my mother with me, which made this hike even more impossible.

Room Tip: Overpriced everything. $6 for a gatorade in the store.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family