“Nice Hotel (on Overload when busy)”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #78 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Checked in on the 24th and stayed for 2 nights. The Hotel seemed very busy, which is fine. Our room was very pleasant and nicely designed. It fit 2 adults and my 2 children just fine. The view was not so pleasing as we faced a construction site (minor, but wanted to state it). We used the pool on the first night and found that there was a towel shortage and had difficulty getting a few. After about a 1/2 hour or so, they did bring down towels and they quickly ran out. Asking for more towels provoked a rather snappy remark by the hotel staff member, "we have 600 more guests that need towels in the hotel too". The following morning we used the hotel restaurant for breakfast and enjoyed it very much, though there were NO waffles or pancakes available at the buffet, ironically only available when ordering separately. When my wife visited the omelet station, she asked what kind of cheeses where available and was met with snappy response one again from the Asian woman preparing them, "I'm not going to read them to you, cause they are written over there". On the bottom of a list of items available, yes it was written, unfortunately the sign was blocked by others online...
I must note that the front desk was exceptionally helpful throughout the day, even at busy times and the concierge was exemplary in aiding us with tours, food and discounts that were available :-). Overall a nice stay...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,335)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed at the hotel in March of 2013. I was there on business with my 3 children and grandson. During the time when we were there the Circus was in town and the Verizon center was really close. The only problem I had was that I felt really unsafe to walk the streets near the hotel. Everywhere you turned you had individuals talking to themselves and shouting stuff out for no reason. I never knew DC had so many homeless people around , it really frightened me walking back from the hotel. The hotel was average and the kids enjoyed the pool. We saved money by buying the breakfast package with our stay and the food was excellent. The hotel elevator is very slow and you will be waiting forever and guess what there is no way to the first floor without going outside with the crazes. Be safe and stay close to the hotel. The staff was great and made us feel very welcomed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BudgetFamily06
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We arrived at 8:30am and were able to check in after an early morning flight and a bad experience at another hotel. The day only got better. Every time we visited the front desk everyone was helpful and honest about with thier opinions and recommendations. Rooms were
small, but we were only in them long enough to bath and sleep (great beds).
Only thing I was surprised about, was the number of homeless within a block or walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: Minimal noise from hall and rooms surrounding. Always good.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here in mid-March 2013 for my husband's conference. I wasn't expecting much, to be honest, since this place appears at first glance to be just another big, impersonal hotel catering to business and conventions. However, that is not the case. The hotel staff is amazing, the property is well-situated within walking distance of lots of attractions, and the metro is only 2 blocks away at Union Station!!

We had two little kids with us and the housekeeping staff made sure we had lots of towels, cups, whatever we needed and couldn't have been kinder. I'd fallen prior to the trip and cut up my knee and the concierge as well as the front desk put together a first-aid kit for me - free of charge. The folks at the front door helped with our stroller, gave us directions, and were genuinely happy to you. . . . . which is more than I can say for the Fairmont, but that's another review.

Our room was roomy (for a big city) and very clean -

We didn't eat here but there are tons of restaurants around and Chinatown isn't far away, either.

I would definately stay here for the entire trip to DC the next time. Can't wait to come back. :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a capitol view - there are a few of them at this property.
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I read all these reviews before booking this hotel, which I did. We had a wonderful stay! We arrived at 10:30 in the morning and I did not expect a room to be ready. Not only did we get a room, but all request I made ( high floor, not by elevator, king bed ) were met. We did not see any construction going on either. You walk into hotel and go down escalator to lobby...little different but not a problem at all! The hotel is close to union station which is very convient and within walking distances to all musuems and landmarks. Wonderful, courtieous staff!!! Comfy beds! All staff members were super helpful and nice!

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

My overall experience was pretty good. I checked in at 11am the lobby was busy but I was able to go Stright to a room and not have to come back at three for check in time which after a long travel was music to my ears. The two woman at the front desk were really nice and welcoming one in particular names Mia i belive who wasnt even servibg me but jut caught my attention because she was so great with the guests! The woman helping me was nice but nothing like her.
I had read reviews advising me to stay high because of noise but we were on the 5 th floor and other than construction going on outside our room on the Monday it was quiet.

Overall It was a very comfortable stay the staff were all friendly and quick to serve. Would definitely go back. Location for tourist is prime time!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I made a mistake and took us to the wrong Hyatt at first, as there are two within about a mile of each other. I can't imagine I'm the first person to make that mistake, but at the Grand Hyatt where we first arrived they acted like they had never heard of the other Hyatt, and charged me $11 for the 30mins we were parked there even though the woman at the front desk said the garage should wave the fee for us. I don't know how else to say it - that's just not nice. Make sure you put the right Hyatt in your GPS! When considering price, remember that the Hyatt Regency charges a $45/day valet-only parking fee.....

We liked the room at the Hyatt Regency, the location is great, and the food at the Atrium was outstanding. But....the first night we found a COCKROACH that was about an inch long crawling on our ceiling. I texted a friend who is a frequent traveler and she insisted we tell the front desk and ask for money off of our stay. We captured the roach (to contain it, and also because we didn't think anyone would believe us) and discreetly showed the front desk staff, but were not offered any compensation.

We stayed two nights and repeatedly had to struggle getting into doors with our stroller and finding our way around, despite the omnipresent hotel staff that just stood there watching us struggle. No one wants to help unless they think they'll be tipped to do so. I get that they are paid staff, but that shouldn't be the only motivation for kind behavior. The wealthier-looking guests were catered to, which made me feel less-than. This is our first DC trip and I hate to stereotype and think they are all like that, so we will try another one next time and hope for the best.

3  Thank loveagoodbreakfast