“Nice enough... but...”

GreenLeadersGold level
Georgetown
“Nice enough... but...”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights here for business. Everyone was pleasant. The room okay except for the dirty iron (the hotel paid to have a shirt cleaned after the iron stained it) and the terrible water pressure in the shower. I actually thought about going to the workout facility just to get a good shower. In addition, the fixtures were loose.

The bed was great! The room was clean. Location good! Food at the restaurant was very good... had dinner there 1 night after long day at the Capital. Very good dinner! Bar was nice.... drinks pricey. While the location is good for Capital Hill, there really isn't any other restaurants close... Union station is a 7 minute walk... for a women alone... not so good.

Anyway, this is the 2nd time I've stayed here. For the money, it's good (especially considering the location) for business. Would I stay there on vacation?... probably not.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank mickir
HRWDC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear mickir,
Thank you for your feedback. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your newly remodeled guest room and Article One American Grill. I am sorry to hear that the iron in your room was dirty and you were inconvenienced, but I am happy to know that our Housekeeping Team took care of your clothing. Should your travels bring you back to our hotel, the Concierge would be happy to direct you to any of the numerous dining options located less than a block from the hotel. With everything from West Wing Café to Charlie Palmer’s, any palate is sure to be satisfied. We hope to welcome you back to Capitol Hill in the near future!
Steve Smith, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Atlanta
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Pros: good location (close to airport) and good meeting accommodations; catered food was excellent; restaurant had good service and food quality. Room was clean and bed was comfortable.

Cons: actual hotel room/service did not justify cost. In addition to the premium you will pay for the location, the hotel charges guests for wifi ($10) and bottle of water ($14). The phone on the nightstand was inoperative; I was asked to wait 20 min for guest services to provide me with a bottle of water (no drinks provided in room); the shower head was inoperative resulting in 20% water pressure; toilet was ill positioned (literally two inches from the adjoining wall, no joke see my photo); bathroom was ice cold (no heat).

The hotel was fine for one night's stay, but if my business meeting was not being held at this hotel I would have opted to stay elsewhere. Certainly would not stay here for personal travel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 520-530 (I can't remember my actual room number). Shower does not work.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank GeorgiaTech_Traveler
Dear GeorgiaTech_Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It is with feedback like yours that the hotel and employees can continue to improve and make changes that please our guests. I am truly happy to hear that you enjoyed the newly remodeled guest rooms and Hyatt Grand Beds. I am frequently told that the cuisine and service staff at Article One American Grill is wonderful and I am glad to know that you had a similar experience. While we do offer guest room internet for $9.99, I also invite you to use the complimentary WiFi in the hotel lobby. You will also find guest room internet specials on our Facebook and Twitter pages weekly. You may want to consider our Business Plan package should you stay with us in the future. It includes breakfast for one in Article One American Grill, guest room internet, one pressed shirt, one bottle of water, local and long distance calls to the US and Canada as well as a daily newspaper. I truly hope that we are able to welcome you back to Capitol Hill in the future.
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Between the Capitol and Union Station, the location of the Hyatt is great for a conference with meetings on the hill. Rooms are typical of city convention hotels. Basics are fine although the thermostat in my room was not functioning predictably. Confusing layout between two buildings. Very pricey bar and restaurant but good options nearby -- West End Cafe (bargain), Bistro Bis (gourmet elegant) and the restaurant in the Liaison Hotel across the street (pricy and delicious). Hotel good pricey & not memorable.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear OpenToNewAdventures,
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel. It sounds like you became familiar with the neighborhood and were able to take advantage of the nearby dining establishments. I apologize that your thermostat wasn't working properly and will address this concern with our Engineering Team. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Toronto
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Pros: Clean hotel; nice rooms and comfortable beds.

Cons: Not many restaurants/cheap eats around the hotel and the hotel food pricing is very expensive; hotel phone charges are outrageous-charged me for a call I did not make and would not refund the amount; charged me to watch music videos - no free TV!

Would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hkyd
Dear hkyd,
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our newly remodeled guest rooms and Hyatt Grand Beds. During your next stay, our concierge will be happy to direct you to a variety of dining options all within walking distance of our hotel. I am truly sorry that you were incorrectly charged on your room bill. Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss this charge and your inconvenience. I hope that we will see you the next time you are in Washington, D.C.
Michigan
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Spent 3 nights at this hotel recently for a major agriculture conference which was conducted in the labyrinth of rooms in the basement. The 3 nights, 4 days gave me plenty of opportunity to experience the hotel and its offerings. Unfortunately, at the end of my stay I can’t say that I was overly impressed with the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill. Not that it’s a bad place by any means! It’s just that for $300 bucks per night I expected more than Holiday Inn level rooms and furnishings.

The main entrance to the hotel is basic and bland, chewing gum’s stuck to the outside walkways, doormen not attentive…. it just doesn’t draw you in like the downtown hotels in Chicago do. Check-in was staffed by 2 clerks so service was slow. Restaurant staff in Article 1 was EXCELLENT and I have to say that the New York strip with grilled asparagus was one of the best meals I’ve recently had. But if I had woken up in the middle of the night not knowing exactly where I was I would have guessed by the furnishings that I was at La Quinta of maybe even the Super 8. Comfortable yes, but not superb like The Brown in Louisville or The Little America in Salt Lake City.

Would I stay here again? Yes – but with my expectations better in-check than they were prior to my 1st stay at the Hyatt. Oh... and I'd bring my own ice for the ice bucket.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the capital. Otherwise, for $300 you’ll get a view of the constructio...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here as part of the March for Life block. We arrived early in the day and the gentleman at the front desk was wonderful in finding us a room. He also let us know that the Wall Street Journal was complimentary with our Hyatt Passport membership. Check-in was a breeze, as was check-out.

We did not eat at the hotel restaurant, but ate at the nearby Union Station or the Capitol Visitor Center where prices were a little more moderate.

We stayed in a King room which was very well designed and very roomy. The bed was very comfortable. Each night we had a good night's sleep. The staff was excellent from keeping the hallways quiet (there were a lot of young people staying there) to keeping the room sparkling clean.

Our window was across from the fitness center (second floor) so you could definitely hear workouts and definitely no view of the Capitol. There is one soda machine and it is in the fitness center on the 2nd floor. There are also soda machines in front of the Fire Station across the street.

Hotel is only a short walk to the Capitol building (1/4 mile).

The small hotel convenience store is definitely pricey...but that is the price of convenience (or not having to go out in the snow and cold).

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Union, New Jersey
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I travel to DC about a dozen times a year for work and 3-4 of those trips require that I stay at the Hyatt @ Capitol Hill. The doorman is always attentive and has my bags out of the cab and ready to help me downstairs with my luggage. Check-in is relatively seamless and if you have no patience to wait for a front desk person to check you in, you can use the Express Check-in kiosks alongside the front desk as long as you pre-checked in online prior to arriving to the hotel.

My biggest gripe with this hotel is the following. There is NOT ONE soda machine anywhere in this hotel. Ever check-in, take a shower, slip into your jammies, and realize, "damn, I'm thirsty!" Then you have that internal battle within your head... "should I just run down the hall dressed 'as is'?" Or "should I put on something more presentable?" Thankfully I did the former because not only is there no soda machine on my floor, but I learned that none of the floors have a soda machine. If the shop in the lobby is closed (which it was when I went downstairs) your only option is to purchase the beverage through room service which is expensive (they will charge a service charge + tax) or go to the bar and order a drink.

Take home message:
BYOB - "Bring Your Own Beverage"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business