“Great Stay!!”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #73 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed here for some sightseeing in late December 2011. The price was very affordable and the location great. Its a 5 minute walk from the Capitol and Union Station where we parked our car. If you are going to the Verizon center or Chinatown where we ate it was under a $10 cab ride with tip. Valet parking was $45 a night but only $22 at Union Station. Upon booking online we found a deal with free breakfast at the hotel when using your AAA card. The breakfast was awesome with a full omelet bar and almost anything you could possibly want, not a lousy continental breakfast. The rooms were nice, staff friendly, internet access is not included and we did not use it. We loved this hotel!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2012

I am so excited that you loved your stay at our property. It sounds like everything from the rooms, to the staff, to the breakfast buffet was exceptional. We want our guests to have the most memorable experience while staying at our property. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you back to our property for a future stay!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed January 1, 2012

Signed up for the New Years Package, dinner dancing and open bar with a room to crash in until late checkout of 3pm. Friendly efficient staff, good food and nice people to meet. The only off kilter thing was the "bartenders" in the open bar did not know how mix drinks, but a very minor inconvenience. The Hotel is centrally located 2 blocks from UNION STATION and you can get anywhere in DC from there. Would recommend for a weekend vacation anytime.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
HRWDC, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

Dear ETontheroad,

I appreciate that you took time to leave your feedback and are happy to hear you chose to ring in 2012 with us! We’re glad you enjoyed our New Year’s Eve package. I have shared your comment regarding the event bartenders with our Director of Food & Beverage and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. It sounds like you enjoyed your time with us overall and we hope that you will come stay with us again!

Reviewed January 1, 2012

If you have business on the Hill I can't imagine staying anywhere else. I stayed here for a week in Dec 2011 and attended a conference in the same hotel. The rooms were great but the conference rooms left something to be desired. Support beams in the way and the layout had you running upstairs/downstairs, through the lobby and so on. But, if you want to stay close to the Mall/Museums, this is the place. Two blocks from Union Station! Very cold in the hallways and elevators and the air units in the rooms could use an upgrade (worked great, just old...but I'm picky about that stuff, I'm in energy and they could be saving a heck of a lot more) but the rest of the hotel has been updated. New beds/bathrooms/carpet, etc... I'll be staying here again in Jan 2012 if that tells you anything. The one downer was the breakfast. Don't bother! Get out of the hotel and pay less or equal for a better meal - who charges their residents for a continental breakfast, anyway?!?!

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear straightshooter007,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at our hotel. As you stated, our location is great for anyone who may need to be close to the Hill as well as those who want to be close to the National Mall and Museums! I am happy to hear that you were quite satisfied with your stay overall and have already been back for a return visit! I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with the location of our meeting space. Although all of our meeting space has been renovated recently, when the hotel was built in 1976 they didn’t anticipate the demand for meeting space. Over the years we have converted other areas to meeting space, which is why the space is no longer confined to one floor. With that in mind, we do provide staff in the lobby and other areas to assist with directing guests to assist them with finding their meeting rooms and hope you did find them helpful. I also took note of your remarks about heating/air-conditioning units in the guestrooms. I am pleased to tell you we are actually in the process of replacing them all to more energy efficient models. All rooms will have new units by the end of February 2012! You’ll have to make plans to visit us once again.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

I thought that we could all fit in 1 room but we are only 4 people and we used 2 rooms. I loved the breakfast buffet they had waffles, pancakes, eggs, Bacon, hash browns, fruit, bagels, and smoked salmon. They have a nice gift shop too. I liked the location because it was so close to everything such as the capital, the white house, the Washington monument, and all the museums.

Room Tip: The higher you go up the quieter it gets
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
HRWDC, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear Aaron K,

We appreciate the feedback that you have provided and are happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and the breakfast buffet! It sounds like you and your family were able to experience much of Washington, DC during your visit! Although our rooms are 300 square feet or more, the largest beds we have to accommodate 4 guests are 2 double beds, which is fine for families with children, however with teenagers, you may need the extra space. When traveling with your family, be sure to inquire about Hyatt’s Family Plan, which offers 50% off for a second guestroom (based on availability) for families traveling with children at most Hyatt Hotels. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting your family again!

Reviewed December 30, 2011

This hotel has a great location if you have business at the US Capitol. The room was clean and tasteful. Front Desk personnel were sharp, good looking and professional. Hallways kind of had a bit of a dingy, dark feel to them.. How about buying some light bulbs guys... Food at the "Article One" Restaurant in the lobby left a lot to be desired. If anything else is open, even the West Wing deli next door, spend your money there. But the biggest rip off I have ever seen in a hotel was the valet parking. I drive an SUV, and was physically in the hotel for 14 hours and they attempted to charge me $104 plus tax. There story is that the valet rolls over at 10 am. Shame, shame on you Hyatt for this over the top cost, and double shame on you for the 10am trickery. Mt room rate was an incredible deal, so the parking was more than the room. When I raised a complaint, they backed one day off the valet tab.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Timelapseguy
thagin, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear Timelapseguy,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of your experience at our hotel. We are definitely pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location, guestroom accommodations and experienced our professional, friendly staff, although are concerned with the parking issues you experienced. Reviews such as yours help us to correct any service issues, such as yours. I appreciate the time you have taken to give me more details with regard to your parking situation and apologize again that you were overcharged. I have shared your review and follow-up comments with our valet staff and this issue has been addressed! Parking for SUV’s is more expensive ($52/per night), but the information you were given about a 10 am “roll-over” is truly incorrect. Parking for hotel guests is posted overnight, and as check-out time is not until 12 noon, and they allow guests leeway until at least 2 PM or later. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. We also noted your comments with regard to the hallways, and I am pleased to say that we will be remodeling them during our upcoming guestroom renovation. I hope you will consider staying with us again, should your travel plans bring you back to Washington!

Tammy, Director of Public Relations

Reviewed December 30, 2011

Had a brief one-night stay at this hotel on 12/27/11. I picked it because it was within walking distance to Washington DC's Union Station and offered a great rate compared to my first choice, Kimpton's Hotel George, which is also close by. Nevertheless, I do like the Hyatt chain --- my favorite remains the one on the Embarcadero in San Francisco. They're efficient business-friendly hotels with well manicured lobbies, comfortable rooms, decent restaurants and good service --- this hotel aligned itself with these expectations quite well. The lobby is expansive, the lobby bar welcoming (a bit too bright though), the restaurant a surprising delight and the rooms comfortable.

I do want to highlight the restaurant called Article One for dinner --- the chicken is amazing. I know, I know, not the metric that I would normally measure a hotel by --- but believe me, the chicken is AMAZING! The wait service in the restaturant was very nice too, ask for Mark. He waited on my table and this guy knows how to work it and keep his diners happy. It was a pleasure to have had him wait on us and I would recommend all who descend on Article One to ask for him.

All in all, nice hotel with that crisp Hyatt service --- still no free internet in the rooms though, one of the few remaining chains holding out on this --- what's up with that anyway? I do like the web check-in and check-out kiosks that permeate most Hyatts --- makes for a quick entry and exit without the usual chit chat from the front desk. I wish other chains would offer this service. I do love to strike up a conversation but when you're just weary after traveling, I'd prefer not to have to deal with the banter of the reception area and those kiosks are a god send when you're dashing out to catch an early morning flight.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Dear LuxValueSeeker,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave such valuable feedback on your stay with us. Our convenient location to Capitol Hill and Union Station, as well as the proficiency of our staff, provides great appeal to our guests and we are pleased to hear that you experienced just that! We are also happy to hear that you experienced a wonderful meal in our restaurant! I have passed along your comments to Mark, the Article One team and the kitchen staff. They don’t get mentioned often enough and we enjoy sharing comments with our team when they are recognized. When your travel plans bring you back to the east coast and Washington, DC on business or pleasure… we hope you will consider making us your hotel of choice!

Reviewed December 29, 2011

This was our 2nd stay at the Hyatt chain.
We called in advance because we needed an early check-in and had other extra requests. They told us to call the day we were arriving. We called them an hour before, and when we arrived they check us right in and had everything ready for us in the room. The room was nice, big screen TV, desk , chairs and clean bathroom with fluffy towels. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were a good size. The clerks at the front desk were corteous, professional and efficient. We also appreciated conceirge, who gave us good tips on parking nearby.
Hotel offers valet parking which is pretty expensive, $45/day. But we found parking for half the price a block away and it was mapped out by the front desk. Breakfast buffet was included in the AAA package, it was better than your usual free breakfast , but not that impressive. They had scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, hashbrowns, pancakes, smoked salmon, variety of cereal, nuts and fruit. We didn't have dinner there.
The best feature of the hotel is location, it's 5 minute walk from the Capitol and 20 minutes from the White House and other major attractions. It's also close to the Metro.
The only draw back is no free Internet service, which we were Ok with, because we had Internet on our phones.
We stayed over during Christmas, and it was a good time to visit, because it wasn't croweded and hotel was pretty quiet. When we checked out, they tried to charge us for prepaid breakfast. I pointed it out to the clerk, she apologized and credited it right back. I noticed the same thing happened to the couple who was checking out at the same time.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt and likely to stay with them again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear bluepanther,

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to post such a thorough review of your stay with us. The feedback that you have provided will be valuable to our future guests. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be helpful and accommodating during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are visiting the Washington, DC area!