“Hyatt Quality & Consistency” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #69 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Hawaii
“Hyatt Quality & Consistency”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

My family and I enjoyed our 6 night stay at the Hyatt Regency at Capital Hill. Of course being a party of 3 adults makes it difficult to find a hotel that can accomodate us at an affordable price. Our room had 2 double beds and enough room for our 3 pieces of luggage. The rate I received was just under $200/night that I believe is a good value. We were on a higher floor facing New Jersey avenue. It was usually quiet except when the fire trucks were called out! Yes, there is a fire station on the street corner. Fortunately this did not occur freqently at night unlike the street noise we encountered in the New York Hyatt at Grand Central and the Grand Hyatt San Francisco.

We arrived about 3 PM and the receptionist gave me options on a low or high floor. I responded with it doesn't matter however please give us a room that is clean and can best accomodate the 3 of us. I believe that most of the rooms are similar however our room was close to the elevator but not to close, and away from the ice machine. Thank you reception! The room we occupied was very clean and the maid service was exceptional. The maids always put out enough towels for the 3 of us and kept our room very tidy. We took 4 meals at the hotel 1 breakfast and 3 dinners. In general the food was good and the prices were reasonable. Two of our dinners were taken in the sports bar were I felt the service was better. Being tourist we freqently used the concierge persons. Thankfully all were very competent.

I believe this hotel is occupied mostly by business persons. It is a very "calm" place unlike the Grand Hyatt. We also stayed at the Sofitel last year and in comparison there is no qestion that the rooms at the Sofitel are substantially more elegant. However since we are low maintenance guest and spend our time outside of the hotel the value hotel is definitely the Hyatt Capital Hill.

When we return to DC we will definitely stay at the Hyatt Regency Capital Hill.

Room Tip: Take a room away from ice machine.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HRWDC, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Dear Michael,

We appreciate the time that you have taken to post such a detailed review of your stay with us, and for sharing valuable information with our future guests! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the service to be excellent. Our staff takes great pride in providing a high level service. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travel plans bring you back to Washington, DC!

Jennifer, Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel has a great location. You step out the front door and the Capital buildings are only 2 blocks away. All the major sites are within walking distance. That location, along with its conference facilities are its selling points. The conference rooms were well-appointed with comfortable seating, AV facilities and air circulation.

Beyond that, there wasn’t much to recommend the hotel if I’d been holidaying and paying for the room. The arrival experience and ongoing service from the doormen and bell hops was lack lustre at best. No one opened the car doors, we weren’t greeted and luggage was left unattended (very disconcerting - luggage cart just abandoned by door staff while we checked in). Same experience on check out. The in-room experience wasn’t much better. We had a tired fourth floor room that didn’t even have a safe. The bathroom was marble, but lacked shelf space and there were no bath robes. It was clean, but there were obvious signs of damage to the walls, bathroom fixtures and woodwork.

1 Thank The_Lewis
HRWDC, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear The_Lewis,

We appreciate the time you took to review your stay with us and are disappointed you did not experience the level of service we are known for. Although you enjoyed the location and our newly remodeled meeting facilities, we pride ourselves on service and are sorry we failed to even meet expectations during your visit. Reviews such as yours allow us the opportunity to address these issues in hopes of rectifying them immediately. With regard to your guestroom, we are in the process of making plans to remodel the rooms next year. When notified, we are able to easily fix some items, however the wear and tear to fixtures and woodwork can be more difficult. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and show you the service we are known for. Please feel free to contact me directly when making future plans to visit our city.

Warwick, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

Was super disappointed in this hotel. Stayed for only one night. I think almost $250 w/tax (Mid November) Room was small with a view of nothing. The toilet barely flushed. We bought a few sodas to take to our room and surprise....there was no refrigerator. Even in the cheapest of hotels you at least get a mini-fridge. They put us right next to the elevator so all we heard was dinging all night not to mention doors slamming all night oh and had to have security called at 4AM due to a party in the room next door. The next morning, 2 hours before checkout housekeeping walked into our room with barely any knock (I didnt hear anything) and my fiance and I were barely dressed. I did complain to the front desk clerk and he was gracious enough to refund the vallet fee. However when I tried to leave with my car the girl in the vallet booth harrassed me that I didnt pay. I explained to her that the charge was removed and she was nasty. Would never stay there again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelGirl4228
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear TravelGirl4228:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay at our Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill. We appreciate you sharing these details about your experience. We take your feedback very seriously, and we're sorry to learn of what happened.

We understand, you were located in a room close to an elevator & there was also a party in a room close to yours, that was dispersed in the middle of the night, after you called security. When making a reservation, please note, you can request a quiet room, for the hotel to situate for you upon check in. While this may not stop guests from having a loud gathering, our security will advise them of our hotel's quiet hours, and how they are disrupting other guests. For quick, one night stays, it may be helpful to put the "Do not disturb" sign on the door or in the key lock. This will help prevent housekeeping from coming in the room after one knock, and allow them to clean the room after you have checked out of the hotel.

We hope this experience doesn't deter you from joining us at a Hyatt property again & you'll give us a second chance to welcome you to our family of hotels.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed here for the second time in a row and again enjoyed great customer service. Staff went over and above to help me with business related needs (needing to print a document after hours - Thanks Erica Guity - and needing to borrow a computer for a presentation - Thanks, John). The food at the conference was also excellent. Rooms are clean and have nice touches like tile/glass shower and comfortable beds. The location is great - just blocks from the Capitol and Union Station. The only downside on this stay was that my room didn't have a bath tub (but others do), and the hotel itself is fairly mainstream (corporate) in terms of ambience. But I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

Dear Amanda H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for taking the time to go out of your way to mention the staff members who made your visit so memorable! This is obviously one of the main reasons you chose to make a return visit! We are pleased to hear that you experienced an exceptional stay overall. As you mentioned, there are some rooms in the hotel with showers only. Our staff would have been happy to move you to a room with a tub if you were interested in doing so. This is definitely something you can request with the front desk upon check in on your next visit, as we look forward to welcoming you back again!

new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed here recently for a conference. Far from downtown area and very close to the union train station. King Bed was not comfy and had a wood platform frame which I banged into getting out of bed everyday as the mattress was set low inside the frame. Bed was hard and pillows with no support. Only one plug outside bathroom that worked to charge my cell phone. Bathroom has a glass shelf which made it difficult to put my toiletries up on. Not much room. Don't bother with the hairdryer for much power. Bring your own. Positives included alot of lights in the room. Fluffy luxury towels. Love the soft cottonelle toilet paper and the kleenex tissues. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Would I stay here again? not for a personal trip and only unless I had to for business. I recommend the Article One restaurant (chicken noodle soup, Rib eye steak with french fries) as their food was delicious.

Dear travelergo,

We appreciate the time you took to post your review. We are definitely convenient to Union Station and Capitol Hill. Depending on where you are looking to go, parts of DC, such as K Street and Georgetown can take some time to get to, especially with traffic. The convention center is one mile from the hotel and is considered the center point for downtown DC. We’re disappointed to hear that you found your bed uncomfortable. This may have been one of the newer beds we have replaced, making it more firm. We ask that any guest who finds a problem in the room, whether it is the comfort of the bed or outlets that aren’t working properly, bring it to our attention in hopes of making your stay as comfortable as possible. We are happy that you did find comfort in some of the guestroom amenities, our staff and our restaurant! We want to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable stay, and hope that you will allow us to a chance to exceed your expectations the next time your travels bring you back to Washington, DC.

chicago, illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times while attending conferences and overall it is a good hotel. Hyatt staff members are great - especially the cheery housekeeping staff. The rooms are basic but fine and it is best to ask for a higher floor to avoid the street noise. There's a firestation opposite. Ideal location for Capitol Hill visits and just a 15 mins walk to other tourist areas. Union Station is close so you can hop the underground to other city landmarks. A few restaurants nearby but DC is full of great choices. Ate lunch at the hotel restaurant and had a delicious ravioli.
As someone mentioned there is a homeless shelter at the next block but we've never been hassled the times we have walked by. However, I wouldn't feel comfortable walking by myself late at night.
There are many good hotels in DC and this one is in a great location for the Capitol and the staff is great!

Dear spotdog,

Thank you so much for posting your review of our hotel! As a loyal customer, we truly appreciate the time you have taken to provide useful information and recommendations to our future guests. And of course, we are always happy to hear compliments about our staff. They certainly go above and beyond to make our guests feel comfortable and welcome. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed a tasteful meal in Article One-American Grill. We look forward to welcoming you back!

CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for two nights in November 2011 while attending a conference. The hotel is just about 4-5 blocks from Union Station, so is very convenient if you come in on the train as I did. No need to take a taxi! Always a pleasant place to stroll, with wonderful views of the Capitol along the way.

Check in was quick and efficient. The room was basic but adequate and I did make use of the in-room wi-fi ($10.99 per 24 hours). I could hear quite a bit of outside noise, both in the hallway and from the street traffic below. However, it did not prevent me from sleeping.

I had all three meals provided for me at the hotel during this conference. While dinner was good and lunch was average, the breakfast was especially disappointing. There was no toast, no bagels, and my scrambled eggs were cold (ick!). There were several kinds of danishes and some muffins, along with juice and coffee. Perhaps the food in the main restaurant for non-conference guests is better.

All the employees were very helpful and quite friendly. The concierge suggested a sandwich place nearby for a quick bite (The West Wing) which fit our needs perfectly.

Check out was easy using the kiosk in the lobby. I tried to check out using the TV/video option in the room, but it did not work.

If you can get a good rate, this hotel is close to the metro for your basic DC touring. Otherwise, I would recommend the Hilton near the White House or several near Dupont Circle.

Room Tip: You don't want a room near the elevator--my colleague heard the bell all night!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HRWDC, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Dear CKF,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay and conference experience at our hotel. Our location is certainly ideal for those traveling by train. Although it seems that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating during your visit, I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the breakfast you received during your conference. The meals and items included are usually chosen by the meeting planner during the planning stage of the conference. Should you have any special requests or concerns during this time, please feel free to alert our service staff as they would be happy to accommodate your request, or simply ensure the quality and temperature of the food being served. Additionally, I apologize that the video check-out option in your room was not working properly, and hope you brought this to the attention of the front desk agent that checked you out, so that we could have it repaired for the next guest. Again, I greatly appreciate the time you took to share your comments with us, and truly hope we will be able to welcome you back on any return visits to Washington, DC!