“This isn't the place to stay.”

Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC
Ranked #132 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“This isn't the place to stay.”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I stayed here in March and when I first walked in it looked nice and clean... Later I went to take a shower and it was disgusting. The shower floor was a nasty brown color. My friends and I left a half full two liter of pepsi in the fridge and the maids stole it along with some more of our food, my friends MP3, and somthing my friend bought at a giftshop. We called customer service to report it and they said we can't help you and hung up.

Never going back there again.

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank alohalaylaxx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed June 21, 2010

What could be more ideal than a "hotel" featuring six lanes of heavy traffic a mere 30 feet from your door and a freight and passenger train marshalling yard behind you, such that the entire place rumbles and shakes like an underground bunker during an air raid? It's filthy, with all the surfaces --walls, floors, doors, windows-- smeared with grease and fouled with road grime. It's one step up from a sleeping bag curbside at the greyhound station, but that's the best that can be said for it. It's a disgrace, and the marvel of it is, that Howard Johnson allows its name to be affixed to a dump like this.Ignore all talk of nonsense like "free parking" --NOBODY in their right mind would pay to park here; all you're doing is inviting a car break-in-- and that is is "no frills" and so on; this is not a hotel, it is a last resort/desperate recourse for the almost dead-broke. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank silesian99
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We booked this HOJO's expecting some inconveniences and travelling for the first time in a while on a serious budget. With that said we were mentally open to some "inconveniences". The HOJO's is a long walk to the train station unless you are up for an adventure. The sidewalks are not paved and a bit difficult if you are using a stroller. The pool was not open yet and the hotel was on top of the route. The breakfast lacked and they could not locate our reservation and my husband was propositioned by a prostitute while going to get ice for the cooler in the morning. With all of that said- we enjoyed our visit-laugh-but it was for very special reasons. The Ethiopian gentlemen that worked the desk helped us a lot. If we had any questions they answered them. They suggested restaurants, helped us find our way around and enjoyed talking with us when we were eating some of the breakfast items. I would not "generally" recommend this hotel to anyone but if you have any Ethiopian connections or would like to pay little and not plan to be at the hotel except to sleep (trains didn't seem to run at night that we noticed)- I'd say this is an okay place to stay. Just align your expectations to what you are booking and keep them pretty low. With that said- you'll have a good time-laugh.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank qualtyk9
Ottawa, ONT
Reviewed April 8, 2010

My wife and I were here from 28/03/10 to 04/04/10 (1 week).
I had asked for three different wake-up calls, did not receive any.
The buttons on the clock/radio were so worn off I could not even set the right time, as the radio had been un-plugged.
Stale bread, Extremely mini-muffins, and donuts do not make a continental breakfast.
No transportation from the hotel to the nearest Metro. Front desk is more interested in getting you a gypsy cab (Un-metered taxi), percentage? Cleaning staff do not know how to read a Do Not Disturbed sign.
At check-out the front desk wanted to keep a photo-copy of my driver's license and my credit card, after it had been approved by the Visa company. I'm sorry but I've had my Identity stolen before by this, I was not going to let it happen again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Noodles526
PA
Reviewed March 26, 2010

We had called ahead to check if they do accept coupons and confirmed the days of our travel. THey gave us a phone number to call for reservation, which we also received a confirmation email for the right time and price.
Upon arrival then they refused to accept the coupon and canceled our reservation. We ended up either accepting a price way over our budget or being stranded in DC with two little children without a place to stay. We had other choices of hotels the previous week, but of course I didn't bring those documents with me, on our first mini-vacation since having children...
The staff was not helpful at all. Still waiting on Corporates answer to our complaint.
The room was very clean, equipped with a fridge, TV only had like 10 channels if even, the Continental Breakfast was a box of stale store-bought Donuts and Bagels to choose from.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank snake901
Delaware
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Unsafe neighborhood and the hotel was DIRTY! The non smoking room that I was given was filled with smoke. I asked for a new room and as soon as I entered the room and turned the light on there were roaches scurrying for a hiding place. Plus there was something yellow running down the wall. Not quite sure if it was urine or not. The staff behind the bulletproof glass couldn't understand why I wanted a refund......

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TaeDelaware
Chicago
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Less persistent travelers may have been dissuaded by the half mile uphill trudge sans sidewalk along a 6-lane highway from the nearest Metro stop. However, my husband and I like a deal. We began to lose hope in the establishment with the second-rate free breakfast, served in a tiny, overcrowded "lobby," staff looking on behind a glass window. The expired cream cheese, roaches crawling on the water fountain were like a slap in the face. The hotel advertises free Internet, but it only works in the tiny, unpleasant lobby.

When we researched this hotel and saw it was "off the beaten path," we wondered, does location really matter if we plan to spend most of the day away from the hotel? This dingy establishment serves as a stark warning against "great deals," and a response to our question. YES, location does matter and you will pay the difference in taxi fare on the way. Spring for the nicer option.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chicago2842
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Days Inn Washington DC/Connecticut Avenue
Days Inn Washington DC/Connectic...
#114 of 140 in Washington DC
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,709 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC NoMa Union Station
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#85 of 140 in Washington DC
Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue
Quality Inn & Suites New York Av...
#130 of 140 in Washington DC
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#109 of 140 in Washington DC
Days Inn Arlington Pentagon
Days Inn Arlington Pentagon
#48 of 51 in Arlington
Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University
Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gall...
#113 of 140 in Washington DC

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC? Share your experiences!