“You get what you pay for!!”

Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC
Ranked #132 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Brooklyn
“You get what you pay for!!”
Reviewed June 27, 2005

I have to admit, you get what you pay for!!

I needed somewhere to stay for one night and this was the only place available. From the start, I was asked to pay in advance, which was I had no problem with.

It was when I checked in and saw the room that I was shocked at the state of the room. It was clean, but the air was moldy. The simple things that you would expect, just were not there. There was no iron. I discovered that when I went to iron a jacket for dinner. I had to go to the main office to get an iron. I thought I would watch a little television and the quality/recepion was very poor.

It it not near local transportation and there are no restaurants that are within walking distance.

My advice, stay clear and pay the extra for "the creature comforts." In the end, you won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank animoore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed March 28, 2005

I visited Washington, DC for one night/one day in March of 2005. I chose this hotel because it was the cheapest I found within walking distance of mass transit. A new station called New York Ave just opened early this year, which is on the red line one stop beyond Union Station and about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Given my criteria for choosing the hotel, it accomplished what I needed -- I was able to walk to and from the metro station and get downtown convenveniently.

However, there were several problems that would cause me to pay the extra $20 next time and stay someplace nicer. First, I felt somewhat unsafe walking from the metro stop to the hotel at 10pm on Sunday night when I arrived in the city. It certainly wasn't in the ghetto, but you do have to walk past several storage facilities and other businesses that are not open late at night, which makes the area feel very dark and isolated. There aren't any nearby convenient stores, drug stores, or restaurants to draw lights and people. The set up of the lobby also conveyed a sense that this wasn't the best part of town -- the attendant sat behind full glass and all transactions were done through a small hole. That said, you are walking along a rather busy street the whole time, so you're probably safe enough. And I did feel much better in the morning when it was light out. Second, the hotel itself was very old and somewhat run down. There were a lot of stains and rust in the bathroom, the hair dryer was missing, and the soap was very minimalist. This made the hotel feel somewhat dirty, although I had no reason to suspect it was anything other than just old.

If all you want is a cheap hotel within walking distance of a metro stop, this will work just fine. If you're not comfortable in cities after dark, if this is your first time to DC, or if you can afford to stay someplace nicer, I would advise paying the extra $$ to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Reviewed September 8, 2004

This was not an enjoyable place to stay. New York Avenue is very noisy. The room had an odor of cigarette smoke, and the shower and counter had cigarette burns. The mattress was pretty crummy. In addition, you had better add at least twenty-five dollars per day to the price of the room because you will spend that much in cab fare. This place is quite a distance from anything you would want to see, and the surrounding area offers nothing. The pool did not have water in it when I visited in late May 2004.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 1, 2004

Located on US-50 (NY st) the traffic NEVER stopped, or slowed down. All of the rooms faced the street, so we heard every car and truck go by ALL NIGHT LONG. We stayed for 2 nights with our family of 5, and the price was very good ($67 + $10/night for a rollaway bed), the rooms were fine, althought I guess I forgot to request non smoking (available?) because our room was kind of stinky--old smoke, not sewage or mold. There was a hairdryer, and a coffee machine in the room. Free donuts and juice in the morning, along with a paper. The staffmembers were nice. We didnt get to use the pool because of bad weather. I dont know if there are restaurants very near by, as we didnt venture out due to the rain, but there was a listing in the room literature for pizza and chinese that delivered. The location was a short drive to Union Station. I would not stay here again due to the traffic noise, otherwise it was fine.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washingto...
#116 of 141 in Washington DC
Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue
Quality Inn & Suites New York Av...
#130 of 141 in Washington DC
Days Inn Washington DC/Connecticut Avenue
Days Inn Washington DC/Connectic...
#114 of 141 in Washington DC
Days Inn Arlington Pentagon
Days Inn Arlington Pentagon
#48 of 51 in Arlington
Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Ca...
#107 of 141 in Washington DC
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC NoMa Union Station
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#84 of 141 in Washington DC

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC? Share your experiences!