“Nice stay”

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC

A TripAdvisor Member
CASS LAKE
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hotel had cock roaches, light fixtures hanging out the wall, tore up walls, and the managers seemed like it was nothing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Room was not dirty, but didn't feel clean, either. The computer chair was broken. the refrigerator was unplugged and the carpet was wet where it defrosted and the ice melted. Definate lack of electrical plugs, and the WiFi was slow. The single bed didn't look or smell clean. I slept on top of the comforter with a travel blanket that I brought myself. Plus sides - it kept me out of the rain, and the air conditioner worked. Breakfast was cold cereal, cold donuts and weak coffee.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Arrived at hotel and was advised, "you got here just in time, we almost cancelled your room." We arrived at approx 1630hrs. Got keys, went to room. Had booked a two bed room, smoking. Recieved a 1 bed, non-smoking. Returned to the lobby and were informed a room was being cleaned for us. Then saw the maintenance person walk into the lobby with a can of Raid Bug Spray. He tried to hide it, but no such luck. Went to room, and left immediately to go into downtown. Returned and looked for an ash tray in our smoking room. None found. Went into bath room and when light was turned on saw what I figure were "stink bugs" running for cover. Did manage to kill a few with a sneaker. While watching tv several more occasions where roaches or "stink bugs" we're chased after with a shoe to be killed. Slept in full clothing on the uncomfortable bed to avoid getting crawled on. Woke up one of at least a dozen times to the train that runs behind the motel 24 hours a day, just in time to see a small bug crawl into the radio/alarm clock. Order a pizza from the "suggested" pizza joint advertised in the room and wait 1.5 hours for it. Shared it with the several flies in the room. Woke up early and left ASAP tirerd sore and cranky. Told manager on way out worst Experiance ever, he shrugged and said...."really, noooooooo, bugs?" I responded with telling all the guest eating breakfast to ask to borrow the can of raid the maintenance man has. Wouldn't stay here again if I was getting paid too. Beware.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Joseph T
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was in town to see the Nationals play, and just needed a cheap place to crash after the game. I'm not picky, as long as the room is clean I'm a happy person.

The man that checked us in was nice, and said if we have any problems come see him.
The wifi worked great.
The bed was comfy with fluffy pillows, nice tv too. Noise was not a problem and neither was the traffic or the supposed "trains" that shake the rooms.
The room was clean and smelled fine, no "roaches" in sight.
I can't comment on the breakfast because we left before it was served due to a long drive the next morning.

I didn't mind not being close to public transportation because I drove myself everywhere. Much easier. People that complain about that should probably do a little more research.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This hotel is clean efficient and convenient for Dulles Airport. That is all it is - an overnight stay after a log flight from the UK. The breakfast was poor, there is no restaurant or dining room there, or anywhere withing walking distance. The so called complementary shuttle service is virtualy non existant as there is no regular pick up as other nearby hotels have. Of course they don't tell you that when your book. We wasted nearly two hours after a long flight and eventualy as there are no phones at the designated pick up point, another carrier kindly telephoned them and even then they did not stop at the designated stop. It was more by good luck that we arrived at the hotel at all. All they could say was that they had changed the service to a telephone request only. Pity the management didn't bother to tell it's customers.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DemoDave
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I am a budget traveller, in the US doing research for my postgrad qualification, and just trying to do it all as cheaply as possible without staying in hostels. I thought this HoJo was fine. The area was a little sketchy. It wasn't really anything to do with the motel, but the footpaths on NY Ave were shut for repairs while I was there and so to get to/from the motel via public transit, I had to take a detour through the back of the Union Market. I wouldn't recommend doing that at night. But with the money I saved on the hotel room I just caught a cab back at night.

Inside, my room was surprisingly nice. It was clean, large, well-maintained. It had HBO and free wifi (although the latter was, as is often the case in budget motels, a little lacklustre). I didn't find the noise a problem. I had a room near the front, and my room didn't "shake" when the trains went by, and the traffic on NY Ave didn't annoy me. The free breakfast was okay, pretty much what you expect from these things.The staff were nice and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kyla C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue
Quality Inn & Suites New York Av...
#129 of 142 in Washington DC
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washingto...
#117 of 142 in Washington DC
Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University
Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gall...
#115 of 142 in Washington DC
Comfort Inn Downtown DC / Convention Center
Americana Hotel
Americana Hotel
#21 of 52 in Arlington
Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC? Share your experiences!