“Stop whining”

Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC
Ranked #135 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 3, 2008

It was a motel in a sparsely populated site alongside a very busy mai9n thoroughfare. No big deal if you come from a fairly big city.
The rooms were clean. The key card often didn't work. No smells, no leaks, no drunks, no car window breakins. Extra length of stay was easily facilitated.
I come from Manhattan, in NYC. Perhaps most of the writers are not used to an urban setting. I paid about $70 a night as part of the package.
I rented a car, so i wasnt cab dependent. Or didnt have to walk to the subway.
I would stay there again. There is a small wholesale area across the road. Good shopping.
That's my story.

Stayed: October 2007

Reviewed February 13, 2008

First of all the lobby, it was dingy, run down, the clerk was behind a bullet proof glass that was the big red light for me.. but i didn't listen to that little voice saying get out!
me and my boyfriend checked in for 2 days.. BIG MISTAKE!

We booked a NON SMOKING ROOM the clerk insisted that we booked smoking... another red light again DIDN'T LISTEN TO THE VOICE

the room reeked of stale cigarettes, our room was all the way in the back of some dark gloomy corner, cigarette buts decorated or path.

At night trying to sleep, we were serenaded by grown men fighting outside our door as well as the mice.

*Centipedes on the wall
*Strange ppl in the already dark hallway (i believe we had a peeper, saw shadows crouched by the window while i was changing)
*Being locked out of the room and had to show ID just to get in
*hot water took forever
*the breakfast was a turnoff

the only reason i give it a 1 is because the maid told us good morning.

if you are going to stay there do it at your own risk. that part of town is shady, some of the employees are shady looking.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NewYorkRoamer
Reviewed January 30, 2008

This is the worst hotel I have ever been to! I will NEVER stay there again. Apparently this place has such a notorious reputation for prostitution that every single person who saw that I was a woman stying there alone tried to solicit sex from me! The first night I got there my Chinese food delivery guy tried to force his way in for the aforementioned reason, despite my adamant refusal to let him, and then at two in the morning he came back and knocked on the door! Also cab drivers and passersby had similar reactions, and I am fairly conservative looking and did not provoke them in any way!
Single women who are not prostitutes be warned, you will be treated like one if you stay here!
As is indicated by the above, this place is not in a safe neighborhood at all. It is not wise to walk around at any time of day, but I had to as I had no car, and was harrassed by at least four homeless people each time.
Also the room was old and disgusting, and there was a molasses-like substance splattered all over the bathroom and the sink.
My room key did not work, either.
It is also not really within walking distance of anything. The only plus was the price, but to be honest, I wouldn't stay here if you paid me!
Hopefully this review will prevent someone from making the same mistake I did! Low price is not the same as value!

Stayed: January 2008
5  Thank colemanvalleyroad
Reviewed November 15, 2007

I stayed here for 1 night in Oct. 2007 but never again. I paid $85 for a standard room with a king bed non-smoking. When I checked-in at the lobby, there was a fishy smell and the clerk was behind a bulletproof glass. The bed made crunching noises as I layed in it; I could feel the springs poking at my back. My skin started to itch and small bumps popped up as I sat in the bed to watch TV. In the morning, there was a centipede-like insect in my sink. I later found out that the area where the hotel is located was generally considered "unsafe." Stay at your own risk.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank bi9guns
Reviewed November 13, 2007

My boyfriend and I needed a place to stay for one night after a late concert in DC. We wanted someplace clean and safe and were not looking for any frills. Although we knew the street was not in the best area, we figured the HoJo had a decent enough reputation to suffice for one night, and the price was great. After our experience, I can say that it is worth it to pay more to stay in a decent area.

The only reason this hotel rated a two out of five is that the room seemed clean. Everything else was a disaster. We walked downtown after checking in and passed dozens of homeless people begging for change. The walk is not something I would ever do again as it led through dangerous looking and dark parts of town. We returned to the hotel that evening, and at 5:30 a.m. were awoken by a loud banging on the door. We were terrified, and upon looking through the peephole saw a large, man standing there swaying and looking incoherent. He continued to bang on the door foor the next five minutes. We shouted at him to leave and finally he did. It occurred to us (in our half asleep state) to call the police, but we figured the man would be long gone by the time they arrived. The rest of the night we tossed and turned unable/afraid to fall asleep.

The next morning we went to put our luggage in the car and noticed glass all over the ground next to the driver's side door. I remarked that we were lucky it was not our car that was broken into. Unfortunately, I spoke too soon because when I went to open the passenger's door, the window was completely smashed out. The stereo was ripped out and several personal items were stolen (including a GPS system which we should have never left there in the first place.) This, in combination with the last night's door pounding, left me feeling terrified and angry, and I went to alert the desk clerk while my boyfriend called the cops. When I told the clerk what had happened, he didn't even bat an eye as he told me this type of thing was common, "especially at this time of year." (Apparently the thief was Christmas shopping in our car?) I told him it would have been nice to have been made aware of this little issue before we checked in.

Hopefully this review will alert anyone else looking to save a few bucks in DC and steer them away from this hotel. My new outlook is that DC is outrageously expensive, whatever way you look at it, so, eat fast food or take the Metro to save money, but don't skimp on hotel prices as they indicate safety. The DC police later told my boyfriend that car break ins are common at hotels all over the city except in paid hotel parking garages. Pay the bit extra to help guarantee your safety, especially if you have children!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank niksy
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I give the hotel one start because I cannot give it any less.

My colleague and I stayed at the Howard Johnson Express Inn - Washington for slightly less than a week while attending a conference in Washington DC.

The hotel is not in a neighborhood where you would feel safe walking outside alone. Also, the cab took a very long time (around 20-45min) to arrive each time we call for one.

The hotel is old and run down. The magnetic card locks were all broken down. Every time we wanted to return to our room (be it after getting some snacks from the vending machine or after breakfast or after a day trip out), we need to get the male receptionist to open the door for us with the master key card. And, what's even more horrendous, he would just open any door for us without first verifying if we are the registered occupant of the room we wanted to open! This made us worry a lot about the security of the belongings we have in our room. (I'm not sure if this has improved since our return and I really hope it had!)

Halfway through our stay, after returning to the hotel after the day's meeting, my colleague was shocked to realized that the hotel had changed his room for him in his absence and without his consent. The hotel also acknowledged having moved my colleague's belongings from his previous room to his next one. I'm not sure if this violated the privacy of my colleague. Fortunately, he did not find anything missing. The hotel's excuse was that the daytime repair going on at the hotel had caused his room to leak. Instead of apologizing for the inconveniences caused to my colleague, the hotel receptionist challenged my colleague if he would rather stay in a wet room or a dry one.

In addition, I witness the roaming of a couple of mice running around the hotel, both inside the hotel lobby cum breakfast area as well as inside my hotel room. I had to pack all my belonging and lock my luggage each day in the hope of preventing any accidental entrance of any of these mice into my luggage. It also made me wonder just how safe and hygienic the breakfast served by the hotel was.

This had indeed been an eye-opener for both my colleague and I. For those planning a trip to the area, do think twice.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Trip_Goer_NOW
Reviewed October 16, 2007

we stayed for three nights at the end of sept, and from the start it was shady, they didnt have room keys, you had to go and get the guy at the desk to let you in your room. shady. its on a very busy road and i mean 24 hours a day busy. and is not near and metro stop. you cant walk to union station the neighborhood is a little rough we ended up having to take taxis to get to the national mall, after three days it gets a little expensive, but our room was rather clean and the people working there were nice. if you need a place to stop for a night then its ok, but next time i will pay a little more to stay at a hotel a little closer to the attractions. but hey at least its not as bad as the presidents inn

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washingto...
#117 of 142 in Washington DC
Quality Inn & Suites New York Av...
#132 of 142 in Washington DC
Inn of Rosslyn
#42 of 52 in Arlington
Dupont Circle
Windsor Inn
Windsor Inn
#131 of 142 in Washington DC
Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gall...
#116 of 142 in Washington DC
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#48 of 142 in Washington DC

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC? Share your experiences!