Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Omni Shoreham Hotel(Washington DC)
$188
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)
$361
$287
  • Breakfast included
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)
$479
$220
$194
$238
$225
  • Pool
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
$389
  • Breakfast included
$351
$314
  • Restaurant
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)
$428
$335
$556
$502
Hotelpower.com
2,722 results
All reviewsair and space museuml'enfant plazanational malltrain trackscapitol bistrokids eat freesmithsonian museumsrooftop poolgreat locationsame blockwithin walking distancegovernment buildingsbreakfast buffetcapitol buildingcvs pharmacyparking garagehotel restaurant
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Right from check in this hotel was pleasant for us. The rooms were ok, nothing exciting but then most of the time on holidays, provided the bed is comfy and the room clean you can't complain as you're barely in your room for anything other than sleep!

The location was great for getting around DC. All museums and monuments plus tours are easily accessible. I enjoyed heading out for a morning run a couple of times and it was perfect to run around the national mall from here. Metro lines are close by which was helpful when getting to downtown DC.

Overall, friendly staff when you need them, great location, some good food places close by and the Starbucks attached to the Hotel was fantastic for a morning coffee!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Matt C
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

We appreciate you staying with us and your review. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

There's nothing special about the hotel itself: it's a Holiday Inn, just like all the others. Its rooms are clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the food served in its Bar and Grill (delightfully named "The 21st Amendment") is what one would expect - not exactly gourmet, but perfectly adequate, to keep body and soul together while tramping the Mall.
The location, however, is nothing short of amazing. The hotel is about a block from the National Air and Space Museum, and there's a Metro stop (L'Enfant Plaza) right across the road. Better still, the Mall is only a short walk. This hotel is a perfect place to use as a base, if you want to see the DC Museums and Monuments.
There are some downsides to this location, though. The hotel is surrounded by government offices, there seems to be a lack of restaurants in the vicinity, and the whole area goes to sleep after five pm. There is an underground car park beneath the hotel, but overnight parking is relatively expensive ($35). Sounds astronomical, but compares reasonably with the cost of parking for 24 hours in the middle of any major city. If you leave your car at home, and visit Washington DC by train, this problem shouldn't arise.
We were just passing through on the way to somewhere else, and stayed only one night. However, the convenient location meant that we had enough time to walk the Mall, see the Christmas lights, and spend some of the following day in the National Air and Space Museum. Not nearly enough time to see everything, but enough to whet our appetite. We'll be back, and there's a good chance that we'll stay in the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hans_Sachs

Thank you for staying with us and your review. I appreciate your comments about our location, cleanliness, staff and bar. I do hope you will return in the future. We are currently undergoing a major renovation and I think you will be quite pleased with the changes.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The service upon check-in was really bad, they did not know what they were doing. I called before i checked in to make sure my accompany would be able to check in with out me and they said "yes no problem as long as they have the white card at check in". My accompany Janet Romero arrived with the employee card late around 11 pm tired and ready to get some rest but they would not check her in because I wasn't present. I called and spoke to the guest service representative as Janet was checking in and was denied the employee rate with out my presets he told me he would have to change the rate to the $89 rate. I then asked to speak to a Manager and was able to speak to a Stephanie Hunter,she informed me that they would not be able to check in my accompany with out my presets I explained to her that i was in NY and wasn't coming back until next week. Stephanie didn't seem to care at all she told me they would have to pay full amount which was $102 a night after the other employee told me it would be $89 a night. That is so unprofessional and very upsetting! after speaking to the manger for 20 min she started questioning me if i was even an employee at a Holiday Inn which was really stupid and unprofessional of her! At that point I had enough with her! I spoke again GSR and he told me he would give me the $89 rate until i showed up. I had to drive back the next morning all the from NY just to be present and get the employee rate. That next morning there wasn't any water and were given water bottles to shower with how disturbing that was for my guest! When i got there to show my presents i noticed our heat wasn't working. The engineering guys was so friendly and awesome, he fixed our heat but after 5 min it didn't work again. I called the front desk and the GSR on duty was very rude! I explained to her that i was trying to get in shower and needed to know if we had to move rooms or not she told me ' I don't know I will have to call you back". That for me isn't good costumer service! we finally moved rooms and they did not seem to car nor did they apologize for the disturbance. When we got into the elevator it looked liked housekeeping storage room i took pictures and will be sending them in as well. I've stayed at many IHG hotel properties and this has been the worst service! Coming from someone who works at a hotel dealing with costumer services on daily bases I was really upset on how this staff delivers costumer service and i check out i wasn't asked how my stay was and I must say Stephanie Hunter doesn't deserve the manager position she really needs to take costumer service classes.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Vanessa M
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

As an IHG and Holiday Inn employee, you know that it is required for the employee to be present and present the white card upon checking in to get the discounted employee rate. This rate is a priviledge based on being an employee. Our hotel follows the brand standard and rquires the employee's presence. I'm sorry you thought otherwise.
I will be reaching out to your general manager to discuss this issue further.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stay here because they have a corporate rate with one of my clients and it's located just a few blocks away. The location is great for visiting DC. It's close to almost every metro line and walking distance to the museums. There's not a lot of restaurants close by but the hotel offers a few choices. The staff was very nice. Watching the bellman tie a tie for a guest one morning was one of the cutest things I've seen in a long time on the road.

The rooms were adequate but need renovating which they are about to do. According to information provided by the hotel, it sounds like it will be very nice. My problem was the noise. My room was overlooking the train tracks and the trains start up early in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay away from the trains!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I appreciate your comments. We are indeed in the middle of our renovation. Hopefully, you will return and visit us in the spring when everything will be done in the guestrooms, bathrooms and hallways. As far as the train noise, we are addressing the noise issue as part of our renovation. I don't believe it will resolve all of the noise, but definitely decrease it.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Capitol before - location was especially nice, and service was good. This time, however, we had problems with hot water in the bathroom sink. It never really got beyond tepid. We notified the front desk the morning after we checked in, but nothing was done for the remainder of our stay, which was three days. The shower/bathtub wasn't greatly hot either. I can understand that the hotel might have had issues ... but they might have said something when we notified them of the problem. Maybe it's time for another place for us for D.C. stays.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

I'm sorry you had water issues during your stay. We discovered that many of our water diverters are worn and not working correctly. As part of our renovation that started in November, we are replacing all of our water diverters and tub/shower mixing valves. This should rectify the issues throughout the hotel. Again, I'm so sorry you experienced what you did. Before you stay elsewhere, I hope you will visit us again as we complete renovations. I think you will be pleased with all of the changes we are making.