“Needs Renovation”

Ranked #81 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Orange County, CA
“Needs Renovation”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hotel is in the federal center SW area of WDC. The property is very convenient to several federal agency headquarters, and close to Metro stops. It is also a short walk to the National Mall, National Gallery and Smithsonian Air and Space museums. The downside is, that because most of the area is federal office space there are no good restaurants near the hotel (certainly not within walking distance). There is a Starbucks attached to the lobby, which is nice for morning coffee.

The lobby and general presentation of the hotel is nice and the gym is fairly well equipped with treadmills, bikes, elliptical, weight stacks, and some free weights. Parking is a subterranian garage, and is $30 per day. The hotel restaurant is adequate, and the service is good, but the menu is somewhat limited, and the quality is simply OK.

I had a room on the third floor overlooking C street, which was better than the rear of the hotel overlooking the metro line. The room seemed to still have it 80's decor complete with an old TV, beat up furniture, stained carpets and thin sheets. There was no closet, only a rickety armoire. The room had no safe, and was very small. The adjacent guests had apparently ordered room service and no hotel staff bothered to remove the service items for quite some time.

Overall, the room served its purpose, but for the money I think it's overpriced for what you get, and the room was very tacky. If they would upgrade the rooms I think the rating could be better, but I would not recommend this hotel if you are planning on staying in the WDC area for any more than one night.

Room Tip: Stay on the side facing "C" street or you'll have noise from the Metro.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
We are currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation. All of our guestrooms and bathrooms are being gutted and completely redone. Our new look is going to be both modern and elegant. I do hope you will return and check us out after our renovation. We should be done with all of the guestrooms (all 532) by the end of March 2014. We also have some additional upgrades in our public spaces that will be completed over the course of 2014.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Extremely handy for visiting all of the major attractions. Unfortunately our room overlooked the railway and was rather noisy but apart from this it was a quite enjoyable. The staff was great and very helpful and the rooms clean.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper try to avoid the rooms on the railway side of the building. The view is p...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to the states and Washington, DC. I appreciate you reviewing our hotel. I hope if you are ever back in this area, you would stay with us again.
st louis
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This hotel was under renovation while I was there. They actually had a sign in the elevator that the water would be turned off for 2 hours for certain rooms one day! Thank goodness I wasn't in one of those, or I would have really been upset! Said they would provide bottle water and the bathrooms would be open in the lobby for anyone that need them! Really?? I am going to go down to the lobby whenever I needed to go to the bathroom??

I also was supposed to be getting a King bed, when I checked in, they said none available and gave me two doubles.

Make sure you try and get a room away from the train tracks....the train goes by at all hours, not to mention, next to the train tracks, they were demolishing a building and they also do that 24/7!

When I returned from my day out, the maid had been in the room and left clean towels but did not take the dirty ones!!!

I think if a hotel is going to be under renovation and your stay will not be up to par, they should give you a break in the rates! Paying almost $200 a night for that is ridiculous.

The best thing going for this hotel was the location! Very close walk to the National Mall, all Smithsonians and the Metro.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you staying with us. We are undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation. Every room in the hotel (532 rooms) is being gutted and completely redone. The new look is both modern and elegant. I truly believe our guests are going to be wowed when everything is complete. As far as the water, renovation is always a challenge. Things come up when you least expect them. We discovered that when we were removing our toilets to put in the new ceramic tile floors, the water valves didn't hold in some rooms. Therefore, to put in new valves we had to shut off the water to some rooms. I believe in keeping our guests informed on what is happening. Unfortunately, it did indeed inconvenience some of our guests.
I do hope you will visit us again after we are completely done with our renovation. I think you will be pleased.
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Air temperature in hotel > 80 water temperature in shower <80. Popcorn ceiling falling on me as I slept. Train tracks directly behind hotel was quite noisy but it was not as bad as the construction both across the street as well as inside the hotel. The paper thin walls can be interesting if your the perverted type but not great if you are alone or have children. 21st Amendment bar is very expensive but otherwise ok. This hotel's saving grace is its location in proximity to the air and space museum and it's staff could not have been any nicer.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
We appreciate all of our guest's comments. I'm sorry you experienced what you did. We have started a major renovation of the guestrooms and bathrooms. As part of this renovation, all of our mixing valves and angle valves are being replaced. This should eliminate the water issue you mentioned. I do appreciate your comments about our staff and location. I hope you would give us another try in the future. I really believe that given all of the work we are doing, I think you would be quite pleased with the results.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Great location if you are planning to visit the Capitol, the Smithsonian museums, the Mall or monuments. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were actually there when they required to shut the main water off but they provided ample notice and drinking water during the shutoff. Overall room was a little small for a family but the location and roof top pool made up for it. I wouldn't wonder the streets at night around the hotel. Great overall stay!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
I appreciate you staying with us and reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for telling others about our location, staff and how we handled our water riser replacement valves. I hope you will visit us again.
Matawan, New Jersey
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We were able to park our car and leave it in the garage the entire weekend. We walked to the National Mall, the monuments and the White House. The front desk staff was very helpful, giving us a list of activities, local restaurants, and directions. There was a Starbucks entrance from the lobby, so my cousin, who was visiting from Italy, could have his morning espresso while I enjoyed the coffee available in our room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your very positive review of our hotel. I appreciate your comments about our location, staff and food & beverage outlets. I hope you will return and visit us again.
PDX
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed 6 nights at this hotel on our family vacation across the East Coast. When we booked we were confirmed in a room with 2 queen beds, however when we arrived we were told the hotel only offered double beds. After waiting for some time we were "upgraded" to a room with a king bed and pull out sofa. It wasn't ideal, but we had no choice as the hotel had been pre-paid.
The hotel is very close to the Smithsonians and the Mall, but as far as restaurants are concerned there are none in the vicinity, unless you count McDonalds - which is about 3 doors down. Oh, there is a small take-out pizza place, but when we went in there, the man behind the counter didn't speak English so he was unable to take our order.
There are 2 or 3 bars/restaurants in the hotel complex, however the one night we decided to try one, we looked at the menu at the entrance (along with the prices) and once we were seated we were given a totally different menu with increased prices ranging from 30-50% over the menu prices at the entrance. Needless to say we were not happy spending about $50-$60/person for hotel restaurant food so we ended up leaving. And to give you an idea of the amount of people utilizing the in house restaurants, when we were there (about 7:30pm) there was only one other table in the restaurant in use.
There is a deli in the complex, but it was closed every day when we got back to the hotel - usually around 4:30pm.
The room we were "upgraded" to was right over the railway tracks - the trains traveled along it maybe twice a night, which was slightly annoying, but nothing we couldn't live with. The air conditioning unit was just outside our room in the hallway which gave off a horrendous sound in the hall, but thankfully it couldn't be heard in our room.
Each day a copy of USA today was delivered to our room, which was a nice touch and they didn't charge for internet access, which is also a great perk.
Parking is about $35/night and you self-park in an adjacent secure lot. Be careful when you check out, we paid for 1 nights parking, but were charged for 2. Reception did sort that out before they billed our credit card.
DC is a great town and there is so much to do. I liked the hotel, but next time I would choose something closer to restaurants and other amenities & attractions rather than being on this side of the mall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the railway tracks.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
First and foremost, I want to thank you for staying at our hotel. Second, I'm sorry you experienced what you did. We have started a major renovation and as part of the renovation, we are converting all of our double/double rooms to queen/queen. We also do try and honor our guest's room type requests. However, there are occasions when other guests extend their stay or change their room type upon check in that will effect a room type. We also are doing some things to the guestrooms that should help aleviate some of the noise you experienced. I hope you will return and visit us again once our renovation is complete, which is at the end of March 2014.