“Excellant place close to Smithsonian”

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #84 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel was very nice, room was clean and patio was great. Breakfast food, other then the buffet, was OK. There are no food options in the area other then McDonalds and a few other fast food places. It was a short walk to the museums and that was our goal. Parking was $70.00 for 2 nights. We would stay there again.

1  Thank sbrown931
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. We look forward to your return.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,648)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

While staying in hotels I like to cut the "fan" option on the air >conditioning to provide a constant white noise to block out unwanted >noises. The air conditioner in the room I stayed in would not not stay in >this mode beyond a few hours. After the first night I notified the front >desk and they promptly sent a maintainance worker to fix the problem. He >seemed to indicate that what I experienced was normal. I have stayed in >numerous hotel rooms and have never had this problem before. He finally >reprogramed the thermostat and again it seemed to be set on cotinuous fan >however sometime in the night the fan shut off and the AC started cutting >on and off to keep the room temperature at the programed setting. Since it >was a cool night it stayed off most of the night causing me a restless >night listening to every door slam and loud occupants leaving in the early >morning. My son was sleeping and it was the middle of the night so i was >just stuck with a second poor night's rest.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from trains.
1  Thank Larry C

I'm so sorry your stay was less than what you expected. We do have an energy efficient system on all of our thermostats, but if it was reprogrammed, it should have taken care of your issue. It sounds as if the thermostat must have been going bad. Again, I'm so sorry you experienced this. I hope you mentioned it upon your check out.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed there on Aug. 15-18. First of all, the only good thing about this hotel is the location, but that really doesn't matter if you know how to get around D.C. on the metro. We check into our room and requested a non-smoking room. As soon as we walked in, the whole room smelled like smoke, even though it said on the door non-smoking. The smell was so bad, that I called downstairs to request to be moved. Of course, that didn't have any rooms available. Then around 3:00 in the morning we had to call security to complain on the people next to us being too loud. We stayed at over 4 different Holiday Inn's this year including some in Europe and we never had this problem. We are seriously thinking about never staying at a Holiday Inn again.

I called Holiday Inn’s corporate office to complain and they said the manager from that location will give me a call within 48 hrs. I’m still waiting for that call. Whatever you do, avoid this hotel at all cost.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank K618QJpaulc

We truly appreciate all comments from guests who have stayed with us. I'm sorry your stay with us was less than what you expected. I wish you would have asked for me or the Assistant General Manager during your stay so we could have addressed the issues you mentioned. I believe our hotel is better than what you experienced and I would be very interested in talking with you further. I didn't get your personal information and on Trip Advisor I can't find out your room number to locate a phone number. Therefore, if you wouldn't mind contacting me at 202-479-4000, I would like to discuss your issues further.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed in Washington DC for 5 nights while we toured the attractions around the capital. This was a great starting point for all of the sites around the mall. We have young children and took advantage of the kids eat free program. While the food wasn't spectacular it was good and we were satisfied. Granted we only ate in the 2 of the 3 hotel restaurants and each of those only once. That said it was nice to have the options at the end of a long day of sight seeing.

The kids were pleased that the hotel had a pool and this was one of the factors that motivated us to stay here. Unfortunately the pool closed earlier than the posted time several evenings. One of those was weather related but the others were apparently at the choice of the life guard. This was frustrating for the kids. We made sure that we attended as many museums as possible and stayed until closing usually delaying dinner to continue our experience. Meaning by the time we arrived back at the hotel it was typically 8, the pools posted closing was 10 but 2 nights it closed early apparently once for cleaning and once at the life guards discretion ... not weather related.

The room was comfortable and clean. We use a lot of towels and it staff was very friendly and helpful, always making sure that our needs were exceeded. We didn't have the best view out of our room and we had to listen to a train rumble through occasionally but I would stay here again.

I think this is a great place for a family vacation and judging by the number of families we ran into in the elevator, at the pool and in the restaurants, so do many others. The kids eat free deal is great for large families. They also were willing to let us stay with more than 4 in our room.

Room Tip: Our room was on the side of the hotel that faced the train tracks, I'd avoid odd numbered rooms...
1  Thank John C

Sounds as if you and your family had a packed 5 day adventure in Washington, DC. I appreciate your comments about our hotel. I will also talk to our pool contractor about the pool closing early. During the summer, our pool hours are 10 AM until 10 PM, with the exception of bad weather and if there is an accident in the pool requiring cleaning. Thank you for staying with us and recommending us to other families.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked two rooms here on Aug 9 - Aug 10. One room was available in the morning, which was nice since we wanted to rest after a 6 hour car ride. Room was musty when we first got in. Later in the day, we found a dead cockroach in the bathroom. Since we were heading out to see the museums, I did not inform the front desk of the cockroach till the next day. They were apologetic about the incident. Putting aside the cockroach incident, hotel was ok. Customer service was great. Nice location, within walking distance from a number of attractions. Late checkout and parking till 5pm was also a plus. I will consider staying at this hotel again. Hopefully the hotel will be bug free when we come back.

1  Thank Maria Veronica R

I'm so sorry that you found a bug in your room. We have a contract with an exterminating company that makes regular checks of the entire building and spot checks multiple rooms each week. I will make sure they are aware of what you found. thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed for one night at this hotel while on a college tour with our daughter. The room they assigned to us was at the back of the building adjacent to the train tracks. I could quite literally see the people on the train. Between the sound of the trains and the very noisy AC unit, it was not exactly quiet. We eventually had to shut off the AC during the night because it was so just too loud. The room was clean, but kind of dark and dingy. We have stayed at this hotel before, so maybe we just got one of their less popular rooms. The food in the restaurant is mediocre; dinner was OK breakfast was much better. The bar/lounge area was nice, fun and gets lively during the late afternoon. The location is excellent for access to the museums etc. You are just a block away from the Air & Space Museum and the Metro. We have stayed at this hotel for our last several visits to the DC area, but I may try someplace else next time. Maybe we just got stuck with one of their "bottom of the barrel" rooms?

Room Tip: Stay away from the back of the building next to the train tracks.
1  Thank Susan A

I appreciate your comments and hope that you will continue to visit us when you come to DC. We have a major renovation starting this November that will dramatically change the look and feel of the hotel. We are modernizing our guestrooms, bathrooms, hallways, meeting space and many other parts of our first floor lobby area and services.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel is a standard Holiday Inn, if you are expecting more then you will be disappointed. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with a Holiday Inn. The rooms are fine, clean and comfortable. The deli and bistro are not fantastic but the food is ok and the service is good and mostly friendly. The best service was in the bar. I wish I had written her name down, she was fantastic and nothing was any trouble at all. The very best thing about this hotel is the location. It is a very short walk to the Air and Space Museum which is a stop for the big bus and the trolley tour, it has a cvs pharmacy a couple of doors away and if you really need it, there is a McDonalds at the corner as well as a Starbucks. I would stay here again, definitely!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple