“Best location ever; However...”

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #82 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Quality of hotel service: I gave this a 1 for the obviously busy weekend lack of personnel with long waits. Plus I had to ask multiple times for a blanket. The wait staff in multiple restaurants was terrible. The food was bad, the staff was a bit snippy, and the bell staff trying to get us to take a cab and spend more money rather than give us directions to the metro station that we had initially asked for. There is also a little racket going on with parking. I went to the location and found a parking garage right underneath it. I located an official guard with house located at the entrance. I asked the guard if it was hotel parking in which he confirmed. I asked if it cost and he advised it did not for hotel guests. I did located a cost list at another gate house that neither confirmed nor refuted the guard's advise. Needless to say when checking out they charged me a ton of money for parking their 3 nights. BEWARE of this racket. There is street parking but limited. Condition or maintenance of the hotel: I gave this a 1 for many reasons including no refunds for laundry eating my money, stained carpets, room service carts in the hallway untouched for hours, Cleanliness of your room: I gave this a 3 because the room was cleaned each day well with fresh linen. The reason it is a 3 is because there were open pipes, dirty ceilings, and older coffee maker/fridge. Comfort of your room: Another 1 here for this hotel. The fan/air was finicky, the fridge was loud all night, and the bed was a bit small for a full. Convenience of hotel location: WONDERFUL! 1 street off the mall with access to everything. I would say that was the highlight of the trip. Surrounding neighborhood: Another 5! Nice neighborhood with armed guards who are as nice as could be. No crime and busy area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RickHWilson
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

We appreciate all comments from our guests. We do try our best to accommodate our guest requests, but on some occasions when we are busy, it is sometimes a challenge, whether in checking in or delivering items to the room. I'm glad you brought all of your concerns to my attention.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very affordable, clean, safe AND a GREAT price for this hotel, walking distance to all Smithsonian museums, Holocaust, Newseum. Rooms are clean, comfortable, quiet. Starbucks just through the side doors of hotel. Good parking, only thing that could be better is more restaurants in the area but there are cafeterias in the Smithsonians. CVS right down the street also. We didn't try the restaurant in the hotel but it looked good.

1  Thank vidulichm

Thank you for staying with us. I appreciate you commenting on our location, cleanliness, and affordability. Hopefully, you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our first week we stayed at another (very expensive) hotel in DuPont Circle, a very nice hotel but not as convenient as this one. This hotel made us feel right at home and the convenience of its location is endless! First, it is a very short walk from the L'enfant Metro Station, where you can board the underground subway system and go anywhere you want. Then, it is within walking distance to the Capital, White House, Smithsonian museums and much more. Our best decision was to buy the 48 hr. pass on the Big Bus Tour, which we were able to catch one block from this hotel (in front of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum). This bus took us everywhere we wanted to go and we saw Washington, DC from it's open top.

Our room here overlooked the Terrace and it was amazing. It was a big room with a comfortable bed and a small sink/fridge area. Yes, the corners of the carpet in the room and hall needed to be cleaned better, but that was the only negative I saw...and it didn't change my world at all.

After spending tons of money at the fancy restaurants in DuPont circle, we found the meals at the Capital Grill (inside the hotel) to be just as nice and far less money. The breakfast and lunch buffets were extremely affordable and tasty. The restaurant was very clean and the very attentive staff made eating there a very nice experience. It was a treat to do our sightseeing most of the day and know that we could return to the hotel for a cold beer in the very nice bar, or have a nice meal without going out to search for another place.

The pool on the top of the roof (9th floor) isn't the fanciest. It is rather small but has plenty of lounge chairs and towels so it is perfect for the quick cool off dip and an afternoon of sun. You can also see the Capital from there.

Having a CVS next store was extremely convenient, and we loved having a McDonalds nearby for those quick milk shakes. The men and women manning the tour desk were very helpful in planning our days and the front desk made every effort to make our stay a wonderful experience.

I would not only stay there again, but I am planning to take a group of my friends there for a "girl's weekend" because it is the perfect place to stay in Washington, DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a Terrace side room. We had a corner suite with a separate living room and sleeper sofa. T...
3  Thank JKCIllinois

We really appreciate you staying with us after visiting the Dupont Circle area of Washington, DC. I'm so glad your stay here exceeded your expectations and we look forward to having you back for "girl's weekend".

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The location of this Holiday Inn is very good, close to Museums and Capitol Hill. It also has cafes, restaurants and a Starbucks within its boundaries. The rooms are nicely set out and include a fridge in the room. However, we found our room very noisy, being able to hear everything in the corridors and the rooms either side. There was also a constant humming from our fridge so we turned it off. There was still a humming sound which could have been next doors fridge. The back rooms are on the railway line so a bit of noise comes from there as well. Although they offer soft and firm pillows which are nicely marked, we found all pillows to be lumpy. To finish on a positive, the staff were all lovely and very helpful.

Room Tip: I definitely would stay towards the back of the hotel or rooms bordering the railway line.
2  Thank Debbie W
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

I'm so sorry you had issues with your refrigerator. I wish you would have let us know during your stay so we could have resolved the issue for you. I appreciate you writing a review of our hotel and staying with us.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The location of this hotel is hard to beat for anyone visiting the Capitol. We loved the location, the staff and the room. Perfect for our Grand USA Tour. Although we only stayed three nights we enjoyed every moment with the star attractions of the Mall, Museums and of course the Capitol Building. What a wonderful memory

Room Tip: All the room and the location are excellent.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Denzil B

I'm so glad that we will add to your memories of Washington, DC. Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. Hopefully, next time you are in the states and in our area, you will visit us again.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This property is great if you want to do a walking tour of the Capitol and nearby Smithsonian or catch a ride on the Metro nearby. L' Enfant Plaza Metro station right around the corner. This is an older Holiday Inn that has been well maintained and I found that the facilities were self-contained and up to date. There is a happening bar (the 21st Amendment Bar & Grill) downstairs and the restaurant is also surprisingly good. Order the blackened salmon!

Room Tip: The rooms on the front side of the hotel are quieter but I didn't find noise to be an issue anyw...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bikemanfla

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. We hope you will return and visit us again. By the way, I love the salmon too.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Lured in by the promise of free Wi-Fi in the holiday brochure after other choices weren't available I was sure glad that we ended up in the Holiday Inn Capitol.

The greatest selling point is the fabulous location. Two minutes walk from the Air & Space Museum, and therefore close to the other museums on the Smithsonian stretch, is a brilliant location. We found it a very comfortable walk to Capitol Hill (perhaps a ten minute stroll) and we also enjoyed the walk to the White House (perhaps a mile an a half?) and onto the Lincoln Memorial. Although there aren't many restaurants in the immediate vicinity (the hotel has a number of outlets and a Starbucks) there are plenty within a ten minute walk.

It's also about two minutes walk to L'enfant Metro Station which is a main hub and get get you on virtually any line and to any location within minutes.

Of course even a great location would mean little if the accommodation was sub-par, but that was far from the case. There was a spacious lobby with a friendly welcome and the double room we had was very comfortable indeed. One bonus was the provision of a fridge to store some drinks for night-time without having to venture to a shop every day to stock up.

The bathroom was very good as well. Spacious with a good sized mirror and bath.

I only tried the breakfast buffet at the hotel itself but that was excellent with a lot of choice and very reasonably priced.

Credit must go to the very friendly and helpful staff too. They made the stay even more pleasurable.

A few reviews have mentioned the noise from the train tracks. I must admit that the first morning of my stay it woke me up, but that was more from the "shock" than anything else. I can't say I particularly remember hearing it again for the rest of the week.

All in all in terms of location and price, this is an obvious winner when visiting DC.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank iwficon

Thank you for staying your week in DC with us. I'm glad the free internet we offer to all of our guests convinced you to stay with us. I really appreciate your detailed review of our hotel. I appreciate it and the fact that you would recommend us to others.