“Right location for the Mall and most of the highlights”

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #83 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here as a platinum member on a free reward night. Check-in was great...given some M&Ms and a bottle of water..nice touch. The room with 2 doubles was good, clean and the bathroom was very tidy...nice to have a reasonable bath as well. Never ate there, so can't comment on that. Nice late check-out til 2pm.

Location wise...very walkable to the Capitol building, the Botanical gardens and the like. In the evenings, there's little open nearby...the hotel bar is open late and their is a non-liquor mini-store onsite til 10pm...but a very good walk to any bar-life otherwise.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

I appreciate your comments about our hotel and location. I also want to thank you for being such a loyal customer of Holiday Inn's and being a Priority Club member. Since you are a Platinum member, it sounds as if you travel a lot. Thank you for chosing our Holiday Inn for your stay in Washington, DC.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,661)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Location was good for the sights to be seen. Great location near the Natural History Museum.Near by the national mall and the Capitol....The hotel staff was absolutely amazing! They were so friendly and very helpful
Good breakfast included in the price....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ofray

Thank you so much for your comments about our location and staff. I especially appreciate you stating that our staff is "absolutely amazing". I feel very fortunate to work here and with such great people.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We ate breakfast 4 times, lunch once, and dinner twice at this in-house restaurant. It was incredible - delicious, accommodating to preferences, and the wait staff was outstanding!
I would like to commend Ashebir who was our waiter three times and who represented your business well with his friendly personality, professional service, and his obvious joy in working there. In the mornings I was greeted cheerily by Ramo (spelling?) as he kept the buffet clean and filled. We will definitely return if we are in Washington, DC again. We live in California, but we certainly didn't see everything in our 5 days! I also loved the large patio full of sunshine where we enjoyed relaxing each morning before we began our sightseeing. Thanks for a wonderful vacation!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jean H
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I really appreciate your repeat business in our restaurant and your wonderful comments about your meals and our staff. I have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Director and with both Ashebir and Raymond. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Just stayed at this hotel for two nights October 2012. The hotel was filled with teenagers, possibly on a school visit of the Capitol. Every night there was running in the halls, screaming until late in the night. I was there for business and needed to be up early every morning. Not for anyone without ear plugs.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Weltberger65
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

I'm so sorry that your stay was not pleasant. We do indeed get many school groups in the hotel. Many student groups bring parents and chaperones and are never a problem or a noise factor. These schools take their students behavior very seriously. We have had a few other groups that weren't as well chaperoned and the hotel had to get involved. It sounds as if this was the case that you experienced. I definitely understand the importance of getting a good nights sleep. Again, my apologies.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

In another location, this hotel would probably be about half the price. The location, however, is what makes this hotel hard to beat! Only one block from "the mall" and about centered between both ends, it really is the ideal spot for some pretty decent sightseeing in DC. The hotel itself is nothing that special and with another hefty price for daily parking added on, you REALLY have to have a particular reason for not staying a little further away and taking public transportation. If however, you're short on time as I was (I was on an 'extended' day after a business conference), it's about the best I found. The beds were pretty decent and the shower was good and powerful, although there was a bit of mold or mildew on the ceiling. I was lucky and the room I stayed in was facing the courtyard and so the noise of the train was minimal - but I did keep the air conditioning fan running constantly for a little 'white noise'. I wish the hotel would offer at least a continental breakfast for the price but overall I was satisfied.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard. It will be quieter!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pb174

I appreciate you mentioning our location. You are correct, our hotel is so close to many of the monuments and museums here in DC. Most are within walking distance or an easy metro ride away. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I felt the hotel fit our needs very well. The staff was friendly and very attentive with the exception of one of the bartenders in the bar. He was very slow on Saturday, October 6, 2012 even though it was not busy. We actually left the bar without being served. On other occasions, my husband found the bartender to be attentive and he returned another night to be served by her to watch football. The restaurant was quick and easy. The meal I had tonight was as good a rib eye as I have had elsewhere or better. The waiter Ashebir was very attentive without being bothersome. He was amiable and just a great waiter. He is memorable. Mathios, the other attendant kept the water glasses filled and cleared the plates expediently. He too was very friendly and it was apparent he enjoyed his job. The location and proximity to the National Mall and L'enfant Station is a HUGE plus. I read the reviews about the paucity of restaurants but I found it not to be so. There is enough choices in the near vicinity and the restaurants on the north side are still very close and easy to walk to. The noise was not so much an issue for me and my husband. My husband used the fitness center and it was sufficient for him to get an adequate AM workout before sight seeing. The concierge set up the night tour with iGuide Tours which was a phenomenal tour. The business center with free boarding pass printing was a plus. The deli was also very convenient and served Starbucks coffee. For purists, there is also a Starbucks in the hotel lobby. There is a CVS next door for needed items but be aware it closes very early and is closed on Sundays. The hot water is almost instantaneous which is so appreciated at all hours of the day. I think the value is uncomparable. I will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel could be noisier due to the proximity to the railway.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beverlyk522

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your detailed comments about our food & beverage outlets. I also really appreciate you mentioning Ashebir and Mathios by name. I will share your comments with both of them as well as their managers and the Food & Beverage Director. We hope you will stay with us again when you visit Washington, DC.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The staff were welcoming and hotel clean. Rooms small but comfortable apart from our room being on the train line. Thank goodness we only spent two nights here because we had no sleep due to trains passing until all hours. The trains were so loud we were woken every time. Good location but I wouldn't recommend. It would have been nice if the pool was open, we really needed some time to relax outside of a stuffy hotel room and have the kids entertained.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rachel R

We appreciate all comments from our guests. I'm sorry the train noise kept you from getting a good nights sleep. I hope you will give our hotel another try. We only have a small number of rooms on the train side of the hotel, but when we are full or close to full, we do occupy these rooms. If you do book with us again, I would recommend you call the hotel directly and ask for a room non-train side. I think you will have an entirely different experience.