Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House
Ranked #53 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last week with school trip and will definitely not be staying again- here's why: our students were blamed for noise except it was some local gentlemen hassling our girls!; wi-fi- intermittent & pointless; had booked room & breakfast but they said we hadn't so breakfast cost $21 each and was average (we went down the road to a great place and got much better service and food for less than $8); one student had a tick burrow into his calf!!; when bringing all the cases die to leave no lifts were working do we had to bring them down 3 flights of stairs.
Stay somewhere else!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Plessie
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear Plessie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret the issues you encountered during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will address these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My family and I stayed here so I could run the Marine Corps Marathon. We chose this hotel because I lived across the street while I was in school, so I knew the area well. I had stayed here before with no issues- it's a basic, affordable hotel. However, the second day I noticed a few itchy welts on my torso. Later in the evening I woke up with welts on my hands and arms. Sure enough, I found 2 bed bugs in my sheets. Luckily neither my husband nor my 2 small children had any bites, but I have about 20. The hotel did take money off our bill, but it was still a bad experience. Be sure to check your bedding upon arrival!

• Stayed: October 2013
9  Thank Jdizel
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Jdizel,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Washington DC.

Karen G.
Case Manager

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 10 days during our visit to the US and Washington DC. We are very happy with the hotel and staff. We had read about problems with the WiFi and a comment from management that this had been fixed. This was totally correct, good WiFi everywhere, free of charge. Had a problem once of getting in and they reset the system to help me, found out later that it probably was my own fault!
We were a family of 4 in one room, a little crowded, but it worked. Staff is friendly and did everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible.
Short walking distance to the White House and main attractions, also easy to catch a bus or Metro.
All in all, very happy.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and chose the hotel based on trip Advisor reviews. The location was good, walking distance for White House and surrounding attractions. Car Parking was onsite and chargeable. Check in was fine. Staff did what was needed but I don't feel we quite got their undivided attention. The room was good, it was on the 9th floor, clean and comfortable and although the view wasn't up to much it was quiet. There was a restaurant on site but we did not eat there as the area as more to offer. It was very hot when we stayed and we were really looking forward to a dip in the pool on the roof. Wrong. It had been drained the week before. We didn't see the dates on website for the pool so maybe this was our oversight, disappointing none the less.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear McNoodles,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is really nice to know that you liked our location as well as the room. On the other hand, I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the pool. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as this issue will be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen Gray
eMedia Coordinator

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Recently had 3 nights here. With 5 in the one room there wasn't a lot of room to spare, but there was enough space for all of us. Location was great just a 3-5 minute walk to P Street with lots of restaurants and a Whole Foods Market. Hotel was clean and tidy, and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. Only down side would be the fold out bed was a little uncomfortable. Overall a great say & I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JennaUSHoliday2013
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Hotel is hard to locate on GPS. If you arrive late you have to be buzzed in. Parking is in a secure garage under the hotel. Entrance to garage is down an alley and behind the main entrance. Parking is costly at $35.00 which I was amazed at the amount of people I heard in the lobby discussing the price. They do have a restaurant on site, no free breakfast. Being an honors member you get one free drink from the bar (we didn't use ours.) They have a gift shop that has some souvenirs in it plus beverages and items you may of left at home. Our room was clean, they do not have those large fluffy bedding you see at other HI's. Room was fine they do not use the clean remote control system other HI's use. The bathroom was clean but the door was an issue. You have to walk into the room and step aside to close the door. Poor layout of bathroom door. I would stay here again. This is the perfect location to catch the open top bus' to see Washington. There are plenty of places to eat up the street within walking distance. The front desk was helpful when a question is asked. They were very nice. Hotel is secure - you need your key to access the elevators and lobby floor restrooms. Parking garage you need to buzz and talk to the front desk before they will open the garage door.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the parking lot in back, I am sure that is due to our very late arrival
2  Thank Irving_TexasAnneB
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My Wife, my Daughter and I had cancelled our reservation we had with another hotel that upon arrival, we realized that it was in an area that we didn't feel safe in and definitely wouldn't be able to walk around the neighborhood. There was an 8 to 10 foot fence surround the parking lot with a big gate that closed and locked at night. Across the street there was a queen mattress set with someone sleeping on it in a vacant lot. But I digress. So went we drove right into central DC and saw the Holiday Inn and went inside.

The staff was very friendly and a young lady came out from behind the desk to assist us, she beat the online price I had quoted her AND gave me free parking for the first day ($32 value) cha-CHING! The rooms were nice and up to the standards you would typically expect from Holiday Inns. Beds, pillows,call comfy.

The staff, as stated above was friendly and very helpful. On a down note, breakfast wasn't included, not even a bagel :-( but at least there was free coffee available. It was either eat at the hotel and have the buffet for $15 per person or take a short walk and have breakfast else where ( I highly recommend the Commissary on 14th Street I think. Google it. Their prices aren't much cheaper than the hotel ($2.50 for coffee with your meal) but their potato pancakes alone are worth the short walk over eating at the hotel.
We walked from the hotel to the White House in about 15-20 minutes. This was a great experience for us. Not to mention the money we saved on taxi rides.
In summary, most all the hotels in that prime area of DC are expensive, and all charge for parking that I could see. If you want a clean room, in very safe area, at a decent price, then you can't beat the Holiday Inn Washington Central.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. We did, and got a room on the 9th floor with a lovely view!
2  Thank g8trjrb