“Impersonal & Drab”

Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House
Ranked #53 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked the Spy Museum package which included our room, breakfast for 2, and 2 tickets to the Spy Museum. When booking the package, we had to list our room choice, which we did as a King bed. I might add that this was a pricey package. At check-in, we were given 2 double beds and told that our room choice was "only" a request. When one of the clerks found a king room for us, another clerk loudly protested against us getting a king bed because we were not Gold rewards members. The manager stepped in at that point and found a king room quickly. He told us it was a very nice king room with a view, however, we were given a room right across from the elevator. After that messy mishap, I had to ask for our Spy Museum tickets because they were not freely given. Then after that oversight, I was still not given tickets for breakfast and had to ask. When I asked about the breakfast tickets, the clerk asked me if I was sure I was supposed to get breakfast with my package. All of this happened at check-in. The hotel is tired, along with the staff. Both could use updating. Glad we only spent one night here.

Room Tip: Street noises disrupt sleep. Ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear upt0wnN0la,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I usually avoid Holiday Inns but this was across from where we moved my daughter to an apartment. Room was quiet and temp was easy to regulate and bed/pillows comfortable. You'll read how the parking lot is very tight -- indeed it is, but who cares? Not us. I got a great rate on this the first time, hoping I can get the rate again for an upcoming visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is OK OK in value and standards, the staffs are so busy always so that you could not ask any additional questions. The hotel is always full with tourist and so the service is in the attitude of not prepared to get repeat guests. The breakfast is good and the restaurant manager is so arrogant in pleasing guests. T would not stay again in this hotel for sure because of the service issues.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with Air conditioner making no noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bhupeshrajan
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience with Holiday Inn Central. I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. We value our guests comments and work to make improvements based on what our guests tell us. I assure you that we will review this with our managers and staff members as we strive to provide excellent service and accommodations for our guests.We hope that you will give us another chance when you return to Washington, DC.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hotel is centrally located, lots of restaurants around the area. Hotel was booked and forgot to indicate that I wanted a non-smoking room. When I first enter the room it was a smoking room, couldn't change the room because the hotel was all booked and then they could change it two days after, but decided to stay with the one I was assigned. All in all it was a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure to indicate if you want a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your hotel stay, however, I apologize that we did not have a non-smoking room available for you. We have listened to our guests and since the majority prefer non-smoking rooms, we have transitioned the entire hotel to non-smoking. We hope that you will come back again in the future when visiting Washington, DC.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Room (815): The room is probably average in size for a hotel in downtown Washington DC but for overall hotel room sizes it’s a bit small. They didn’t have a king sized single bed so I have two doubles; no stretching out for me! The room does have a refrigerator but no microwave. The office desk is a bit small but matches the somewhat small room (grin). It is updated with a 32-inch flat screened TV. There’s also free Internet access so I didn’t need to use my HotSpot enabled cell phone.

The Lobby: The lobby is laid out in regular fashion; is pretty modern with the kitchen right off to the left when standing at the front counter. There was an issue with the key issuance system; it crashed so somebody had to let me into my room. Hopefully they’ll have it fixed before I head out later this evening. It was a bit of a headache but hey, when depending upon PCs to get work done they do tend to fail from time to time.

Breakfast Kitchen: They have a restaurant so no free breakfast. I left right at the time of their opening so I didn’t eat.
Building: The hallways are nice and large, the carpet in very good shape. The hotel has 9 floors and have three elevators so the wait wasn’t too long.

Location: Where do I begin? Let’s start of by me sitting on my ‘shrink’s’ couch re-telling my life’s story from age 5. What was I thinking? Business trip, grab a hotel that’s smack downtown DC. Yes, I need to start from the top. Getting to the hotel? Tragic! Absolutely tragic! Construction, two lane roads WITH cars parked next to the curb, several round-a-bouts…..did I mention construction? Even with Google Maps’ sexy voice chatting in my ear, I made several wrong turns, couldn’t get back on track with all of the one-way streets and had to jump lanes several times from busses, pedestrians, bikers, USPS stops and people generally getting in/out of traffic. Pasted the hotel…..DRAT! I had to round the block and try again; darting across incoming traffic since the hotel was on the left-side of the road. Sweaty palms, shaking knees and several minor heart palpitations later I made it to the front door; whew! Getting to the hotel isn’t for the faint of heart. Parking? Well, that’s back out to the street, left turn into an alley that’s no bigger than what a SmartCar can fit into (well, it was bigger, maybe it was my nerves?), around the side, then back and then down into an underground parking garage. Six foot five inch entrance and I’m in a SUV. Yea, I was ducking in the driver’s seat while inching forward; parking is not free by the way. Ok, will all of that said, you can walk to the White House and other DC sights once your car is nestled deep underground. I was too busy dodging things while looking for the hotel to pay attention to see if there were any restaurants and other attractions around a corner.
Cons: The room was a bit small, it takes nearly an act of God to get to it, and the bathroom is tiny. The room is pretty clean if you don’t give it a thorough inspection like under the sink faucet or the little bit of grime around the silver drain in the tub.

Final Thought: If this was a site seeing DC vacation I believe this hotel is situated in a nice spot for people who don’t mind spending lots of time walking to the sites DC has; a bike would definitely be faster and better. This was a business trip so I didn’t take advantage of the location. Not sure if I’d book this hotel again in the future since my business wasn’t in downtown DC. I booked the hotel due to the nearness of the airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Injaznito H
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Reserved two king rooms but upon arrival, the manager tried to give us two double beds instead of the king room.

Apparently they upgraded two couples with our room. Not helpful or honest in any way.

My company has a national account with Holiday inn and unfortunately, Fuad the manager, does not realize that I control our company's travel accounts.

Monday morning I will be either renegotiating, or outright canceling that account.

Stayed: September 2013
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Autzenduck,

Thank you very much for the feedback regarding your stay with us. I am very sorry that we did not provide you with the accommodations that you reserved & that our staff was not efficient in resolving the issue.

We strive to provide excellent guest service and accommodations and make improvements based on what our valued guests tell us.

I would like to obtain additional information regarding your experience with us, so I sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel was nice and clean. Staff was very friendly and asked if we needed anything when they saw us. Wasnt in the hotel much, attended big family wedding. I would stay there again when I come back to DC again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends