“Nice place, awful Internet”

Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House
Ranked #54 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 9, 2013

If you've read the other reviews, there's not much new here. There's nothing wrong with this hotel that couldn't be fixed by Internet access (and by making it a completely no smoking facility ... you can't smell it in the halls or the rooms, but because of the way the vents work in hotels like this, the bathrooms can wreak of it ... this is not a big deal as it seems to only happen at night and you can just close the bathroom door and it's fine). The staff is fine (very nice), the hotel is fine (the rooms are clean, not especially dated), and the food is adequate (certainly all of these things are at worst consistent with the brand and the value for your money in this area) ... no real problems at all. But the Internet access is *awful*. So awful that if I weren't being paid to be here with my room picked up and paid for, I would have left. You've read in other reviews that lower floors are better, in my experience that's slightly true, but not enough to make that much of a difference (plus the lower floors smell more of smoke). How bad is it? Want to load Google.com (perhaps the cleanest and emptiest major page on the Internet)? Be prepared to wait 20-30 seconds at the best of times. Want to load cnn.com? Wait more than a minute. Want to get your email? Watch TV for a while while it comes in (imagine watching the progress in *bytes* per second), Want to send email? Forget it, it won't go. The Internet is so bad at this hotel that they would literally be better off not even offering it until they can do it right (they're just making people mad at this point). This Internet is even *beyond* "dial up" slow. In 2013, there's just NO excuse for bandwidth issues like this at a hotel like this. Bottom line, it's not functional or usable for even "normal" business people (much less tech people like me). If you need *anything* other than *really* basic access (e.g. if you need to VPN into your office or access a server), you literally can't stay at this hotel. As I said, the staff was great and the rest of the place is fine (and that *is* a big deal because the hardest problems to fix are people based, and this isn't a people based problem, but I won't be staying here again until I see reviews on this site indicating that this problem has been fixed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Duane B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Dear Duane B,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our internet connection. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a well-located hotel, a short walk to the Metro, only a couple of stops to Smithsonian station with the Mall and so many great museums. You can walk to Dupont Circle, with embassies, restaurants, etc. If you're up for it, you can walk to the White House, which we did on a lovely Sunday afternoon. The rooms are nice, clean, updated. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. There is a decent restaurant and a bar. All in all, a good hotel, good value.

Room Tip: We always ask for a 'quiet room' away from elevators, ice machines, etc. Still, there were f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

It had what I needed for my short stay. 15 minute walk to Washington Convention Centre. 25 minute walk to see the White House. It had a gym and served my purpose. Free internet.
Free coffee/tea. Room was clean. The only thing were the pillows, they were so small.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not facing the road, it was too noisy to sleep.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear JackpotJ,

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We apologize for the type of pillows you received. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Zelyn N

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I like this place and usually stay here on business trips. It is no-nonsense, usually full of international tourists, but well-located, clean and usually has ok prices (for DC). I enjoy the vibe of enthusiastic visitors (young and old) excited about being in the nation's capital. The rooms are generally quiet because there is not a big bar and folks go out in the neighborhood rather than hanging around the hotel. It is just a couple of blocks from a Whole Foods grocery and lots of fun, hip restaurants on P street. Wifi was slow on my last trip, and the workout room is just ok.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank amyc708
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, location was good. A little further from the White House and other attractions than I originally thought. Rooms are nice and big but can certainly use some updating. Free in room wifi was nice but was barely useable.

Morning and evening around the hotel was very quiet, a little too quite for me though. No real complaints but I would probably stay in different area next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear arkom,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased that you found our location convenient for your needs. I am deeply sorry you found the condition of our hotel rooms and internet service less than satisfactory. We are constantly working to improve our service and your comments are very valuable to us. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve. Hope to see you again soon.

Zelyn N

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The title sums I up. I stayed here on a short overnight trip. Clean room, quiet as you can be in a city. Location was great, just north of the metro. It's close to restaraunts and smaller shops.

On business, I would stay there again. I might want a little more luxury on vacation, but the lower price compared to other closer hotels makes me think twice.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Zigmonster
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for just one night. Room was clean, spacious. Location is very good. Just a few blocks to the White House and 4 or 5 to subway. Whole Foods around a corner :) The only problem we had was with breakfast. Since we were traveling with 2 and 6 year old kids we chose the breakfast included option. When I called the hotel to confirm I was told that only 2 adults per room will get the breakfast vouchers and that it would be a full buffet breakfast. Kids eat free. When we got to the restaurant the hostess informed us that kids do eat free but NOT from the buffet but from a special kids menu. By the time the waitress arrived my sister and brother-in-law got up and served themselves. Since the kids were hungry my sister gave them some of the food from her plate. When the waitress came she was visibly upset and wanted to charge us $8 for each kid for eating from the buffet!!!!! They didn't even have plates for god's sake! They were eating from my sister plate! Can you see a 2 year old serving himself from a buffet bar! When I told the waitress we would order breakfast for the children from the free breakfast menu she got offensive! At the end we were not charged extra for the 2 kids. She took it off the bill but made us feel like she gave us some kind of favor!!! The whole breakfast thing was unnecessarily confusing and could have been altogether avoided. Otherwise our stay was OK.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank TynaL
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear TinaFox,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. I am happy to know that our location worked suitably for your needs and found our rooms to be comfortable. While I am pleased with your good comments, I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered with breakfast. Rest assured this will be forwarded to the appropriate departments to consider for enhancements needed at our hotel.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Regards,