“Nice hotel, good location near Dupont Circle”

Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House
Ranked #53 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a well-located hotel, a short walk to the Metro, only a couple of stops to Smithsonian station with the Mall and so many great museums. You can walk to Dupont Circle, with embassies, restaurants, etc. If you're up for it, you can walk to the White House, which we did on a lovely Sunday afternoon. The rooms are nice, clean, updated. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. There is a decent restaurant and a bar. All in all, a good hotel, good value.

Room Tip: We always ask for a 'quiet room' away from elevators, ice machines, etc. Still, there were f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 29, 2013

It had what I needed for my short stay. 15 minute walk to Washington Convention Centre. 25 minute walk to see the White House. It had a gym and served my purpose. Free internet.
Free coffee/tea. Room was clean. The only thing were the pillows, they were so small.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not facing the road, it was too noisy to sleep.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear JackpotJ,

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We apologize for the type of pillows you received. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Zelyn N

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I like this place and usually stay here on business trips. It is no-nonsense, usually full of international tourists, but well-located, clean and usually has ok prices (for DC). I enjoy the vibe of enthusiastic visitors (young and old) excited about being in the nation's capital. The rooms are generally quiet because there is not a big bar and folks go out in the neighborhood rather than hanging around the hotel. It is just a couple of blocks from a Whole Foods grocery and lots of fun, hip restaurants on P street. Wifi was slow on my last trip, and the workout room is just ok.

1  Thank amyc708
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, location was good. A little further from the White House and other attractions than I originally thought. Rooms are nice and big but can certainly use some updating. Free in room wifi was nice but was barely useable.

Morning and evening around the hotel was very quiet, a little too quite for me though. No real complaints but I would probably stay in different area next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear arkom,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased that you found our location convenient for your needs. I am deeply sorry you found the condition of our hotel rooms and internet service less than satisfactory. We are constantly working to improve our service and your comments are very valuable to us. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve. Hope to see you again soon.

Zelyn N

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The title sums I up. I stayed here on a short overnight trip. Clean room, quiet as you can be in a city. Location was great, just north of the metro. It's close to restaraunts and smaller shops.

On business, I would stay there again. I might want a little more luxury on vacation, but the lower price compared to other closer hotels makes me think twice.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Zigmonster
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for just one night. Room was clean, spacious. Location is very good. Just a few blocks to the White House and 4 or 5 to subway. Whole Foods around a corner :) The only problem we had was with breakfast. Since we were traveling with 2 and 6 year old kids we chose the breakfast included option. When I called the hotel to confirm I was told that only 2 adults per room will get the breakfast vouchers and that it would be a full buffet breakfast. Kids eat free. When we got to the restaurant the hostess informed us that kids do eat free but NOT from the buffet but from a special kids menu. By the time the waitress arrived my sister and brother-in-law got up and served themselves. Since the kids were hungry my sister gave them some of the food from her plate. When the waitress came she was visibly upset and wanted to charge us $8 for each kid for eating from the buffet!!!!! They didn't even have plates for god's sake! They were eating from my sister plate! Can you see a 2 year old serving himself from a buffet bar! When I told the waitress we would order breakfast for the children from the free breakfast menu she got offensive! At the end we were not charged extra for the 2 kids. She took it off the bill but made us feel like she gave us some kind of favor!!! The whole breakfast thing was unnecessarily confusing and could have been altogether avoided. Otherwise our stay was OK.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank TynaL
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear TinaFox,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. I am happy to know that our location worked suitably for your needs and found our rooms to be comfortable. While I am pleased with your good comments, I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered with breakfast. Rest assured this will be forwarded to the appropriate departments to consider for enhancements needed at our hotel.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Regards,

Pam G.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed there for a week and was positively surprised. I expected an OK mid-range hotel but experienced something better. The room was great and clean and the bed was comfortable. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Breakfast was included in the price and was not bad either. The location is great and there are lots of good restaurants nearby. While small, the gym was ok for my needs. Overall, excellent value for money.

Room Tip: If you want the wifi to work somewhat smoothly, ask for a room in floors 1-4.
2  Thank hkarhu