“Excellent location, friendly service”

Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House
Ranked #54 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Although not the most updated property in the world, the hotel was clean and comfortable. We had booked a double room for a week but apparently they overbooked so we got upgraded to a junior suite. We had a king bed and small pull out sofa-bed for our son. It actually worked out great. It was a corner room with a wrap around balcony. Although there is some street noise, I suspect it was less than other parts of town. This is a very residential neighborhood with mostly condos and apartments nearby. One block up, there is a Whole Foods and a CVS as well as a liquor store, hardware store and several small neighborhood restaurants and bars. There is some infrastructure construction going on not far from the hotel and it was pretty loud but they stopped around 9:00. Otherwise, the street noise wasn't too bad.

The parking lot is VERY tight but fine and you aren't going to want your car in DC anyway. If you drive, park and leave it there. It's a little pricier than the other lots in the area but the the extra $5 to $10 seems acceptable to have your care secure and close.

You really can't beat the location. We were about 6 blocks from Logan Circle, Dupont Circle (and Metro) and the McPherson Square Metro. We could easily walk to great bars and restaurants and the walk to the Metro is pretty easy. Since the Metro really is the best way to get around, I've already recommended this hotel to several people.

I would recommend joining the Priority Rewards plan before booking. We got a free meal and the upgrade based on our membership status.

As far as the room goes, the bed and pillows were comfortable. The sofa and chairs were a bit careworn but not dirty, just a bit picked and tired. We had a decent sized mini-fridge and microwave but the crappiest coffee pot EVER. We did figure out how to make little coffee packets using filters and our own coffee but we were awfully happy to get "real" coffee when we got home. I do wish that they had some kind of chairs on the balcony but it was still very nice. We all loved having the roof top pool! Great respite after lots of museums and walking.

Room Tip: Avoid the 9th floor. The pool is on the roof and the ceilings are really low on the 9th floor. We we...
3  Thank mwinn
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I just forgot that DC is a tourist money trap - had to pay extra for parking - had to pay extra for breakfast (this hotel does not provide even a cold breakfast) did not have the refrigerator or cot in the room when we registered - it was provided for later. The kids enjoyed the rooftop pool. The room was clean. The front desk staff was friendly. Next time will stay just outside of DC in Virginia where the parking is free and so is the breakfast. You were not near any of the tourist sites; i.e. White House, Smithsonian, Monument, etc

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Dear hopeterry,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. I'm delighted our rooftop pool suited the kids well and pleased you found our rooms and front desk staff commendable. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations at a competitive value. It's disappointing you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret you were not satisfied with the price you paid. Your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your future travels.

Joel B
IHGCare

Reviewed July 18, 2012

The price we got for this hotel was fantastic which is why we chose it but would probably opt to pay a little more elsewhere next time. When we checked in the girl was fantastic but then it was pretty much downhill from there, we had no do not disturb sign and reception said they would send one up - after three days we never received it. I also used the hotel to book a shuttle to the airport and I was made to feel like such an inconvenience during the process then I had to ask them to change it (I didn't know who they booked for me) and they had to wait on the line and made sure I was very aware of how I was 'tying up their phone lines'. They also really need a service elevator as the lifts are slow and each floor is a staff member getting in and cramming their room service trolleys in too.
The room was a great size, peaceful and comfy beds. A bit out dated but that is OK for the price. It was very hot when we were in DC and the air conditioning unit was great.
The buffet breakfast for $15 was basic but good with a great variety.
The location was OK, it was only about 6 blocks (15mins) to the White House but I think next time I will pick something more in the middle of the White House and Smithsonian's (about 30min walk) etc. The tourist trolley's closest hop on point is about 20mins away.
Overall, it was OK. I would rather stay somewhere a little bit more central but if the price was way cheaper here I would give it another go.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lisa_WLG
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Lisa_WLG,

Thank you very much for your feedback and for giving us high scores on Sleep Quality, Cleanliness, and Value. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Let me also take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced because of some amenities that were not working. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

Janice A
IHG Care

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I knew right away when I walked in to this hotel it was great! All the staff greeted me warmly from the door man to the reception staff. Every staff member I passed acknowledged me. My room was spacious and very clean. The restaurant staff was very pleasant and breakfast very good. The location was perfect and located in mostly a residential area which was very nice. I will stay here again for sure when I come back to the east coast!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed with the family at this hotel. I managed to leave my bag with expensive cameras and other equipment in the lobby, which was promptly put aside securely for me (really appreciated that !). The location is great (virtually next to the Australian Embassy - made us feel closer to home !) and a 10 min walk to the White House. The elevators take forever and the revolving doors at the hotel make getting in and out with luggage an interesting proposition. Walked everywhere from there. Food choices are limited but still within walking distance. The lobby has a coffee bar. Used a local Walgreens to get some medicines. Rooftop pool was closed when we visited, but given that it was freezing, it really didn't matter. The rooms were small (the smallest that we stayed in in the US) but clean. Overall, great location, and not too bad for Washington DC prices. Breakfast is good at the cafe.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Intrepid08
Reviewed July 16, 2012

. Hotel was very nice,everyone willing to answer questions and help.within walking distance to everything, but the city blocks are long. metro buses are one block from hotel, and so are restaurants and grocery store. Room clean, beds soft but good. rooftop pool very nice but opens at 10am and closes at 9pm. we didn't eat in the hotel. parking garage is $31 a day

Room Tip: book early as summer time rooms fill-up fast. Rooms on the front side of hotel are best, there are 9...
1  Thank allab0utme
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 3 days with my three preteen children. The hotel is old and badly in need of updating. The first thing to notice is how bleeping slow the elevator is. There are three but you must wait for ever to get one. There is a pool on the roof which would be good if you could get there. There is only one elevator to get there and if you are lucky enough to get it good if not then you have to go up a back stairway thru maintenance area.

Thet charge $32 dollars a day for parking which is in a tiny underground garage which you will get your car ding up in.

Pay the money to stay in a nicer motel I know I will next time I vist the city

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear David C,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the unusual conditions of our elevator caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Zelyn N