“Very good place to stay and vacation on DC !!!”

Holiday Inn Washington DC - Central / White House
Ranked #53 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We spent a week on DC and decided to stay on this hotel. It was pretty awesome, the king bed was incredibly comfortable, as was the couch. Me and my wife found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and the price affordable.

Not a luxury hotel, but an awesome place for an awesome price!!! Pretty cost-effective, especially for us that were not in the hotel most of the time.

The hotel restaurant was a little costly, and you can find better and cheaper restaurants if you walk for 5 minutes in any direction. If you are going sight-seeing like we were, there are a couple of hotels closer to the museums. Also, the A/C in our room kept turning on and off and it was quite noisy.

Overall, if was a very pleasant experience and we'll definitely do it again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dannyuchiha

Reviewed June 2, 2012

We chose this hotel on location and it's perfect! Right in the centre of Washington, close to all the attractions you'd want to visit.
We were greeted by outstandingly friendly staff. Informed of everything we needed to know about the hotel and area.
Room was spacious with comfy beds, coffee making facilities, large TV and great shower. Unfortunately we missed the roof-top pool as it opens after Memorial Weekend.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Washington DC!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stefan P
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2012. Staff were friendly and helpful and we found the hotel was in a great location, easy walking distance to many attractions. There is also restaurants very close by within walking distance which was good.

The room was comfortable however the hotel is old and therefore has that musty smell about it, and could do with a makeover. Our room faced out back and with the window open the noise from the airconditioner compressor was distracting, even 5 floors above it. Window closed and it was fine. Laundry facilities were great after being on the road for a week, although situated on one floor only. Probably ok to stay here for a short time but i wouldnt want to stay there any more than 3 nights. Roof top pool was closed and i couldnt access the roof just to look at the views which was disappointing

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mitch h
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Dear mitch h,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review.

Ben J

Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in May 2012, just now. I thought it would be a cheap budget hotel, that would "do the trick". Actually no, it was much more than that.
The receptionist was really helpful, the smell of all corridors was super fresh (carpet cleaning!!) and the room was dry, very large, very clean and really pleasant. In fact it weas more of a suite than a room. It had a large desk for work, which was great for the work I had to do, huge TV, and an incredibly massive bed, where I spent a really quiet night, and had a good night's sleep.
Overall: a great hotel for the rate, and I shal return.
In general I was impressed my Washington, it is a very pleasant city indeed.
Much calmer and less vulgar than NY in any case.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2012

It might not be the perfect location for us since we focused on the meeting at the Convention center. The distances in D.C. are further than they look on the map. The hotel was just average. Definitely not bad but not the best one either. The rooms were spacious but the bathrooms were small. The aisles and the carpets looked oldish but OK at the end it is not our home. The breakfast (buffet) was 14, 90 + tax = almost 19 USD which is quite expensive concerning the food offered. The good part was free coffee at the lobby and quiet residential area where the hotel located. We paid 1710 USD for 8 nights for this location and amenities I guess it was a bit high. The fitness center is small but clean. In general the hotel was clean. The last night the fire alarm rang with no reason and the staff could not turn the alarm off for almost half an hour. Thank God that it was not a real fire.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear hakanakdag58,

I appreciate you honest feedback. I'm delighted to hear that our location suited you well. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the unusual situation regarding the fire alarm. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Joel B
IHGCare

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We booked this hotel for a last minute Easter/Passover weekend trip to the DC area. We found a good deal on Expedia and were happy with the location not far from DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan, and Columbia Heights (our usual DC hangouts). We arrived right at check in time and a very friendly woman checked us in and told us where to park.
Well boy am I glad that I drive a small hatchback. The garage had very narrow spaces, many of the with large concrete poles on either side. At some points there was only one lane in which to drive, so it was a little treacherous. If you do drive and stay at this property, leave your minivan, SUV, or granpa's old Buick at home.
Anyway, we got up to our very clean room. It was a typical hotel room with a full bathroom on the right, a rack for hanging clothes on the left, a dresser/entertainment center with HDtv and a refrigerator, a king size bed, and a desk with rolling chair. As with most Holiday Inns, there was a wall unit air conditioner. The room was a decent size for a city hotel. The bathroom was also a decent size however there was no built-in storage for toiletries. The maid also failed to provide shampoo for the first couple of days. While the maids did a good job of cleaning, perhaps their lack of attention to detail was due to the fact that they were often talking on their cell phones while working.
Overall, our stay was rather uneventful. Everything was in good repair in the room. The sleep quality varied by night depending on how much the air conditioning went on and how much city not their was that night. Check out was a breeze and a friendly experience. We did leave an item behind and when I called the hotel, they made arrangements to ship it back to me promptly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DSXM
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear DSXM,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your stay at our hotel. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments, especially the item you left was promptly returned. I am also pleased that you commended our front desk. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so.

I apologize that the parking lot fell below your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Washington DC.

Janice A.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Just spent 5 days in DC with hubby and kiddos (9 and 6) for spring break and to see the sights. I travel a ton for work and stay in all manner of hotels, so I have a pretty high bar, that said, if a hotel is clean, comfortable and well managed, that's pretty much all I need. I doesn't need to be fancy. So, I had high hopes for this hotel, the reviews here seemed to bode well, but it's just a little off. The good: great location, 3 block walk to subway (McPherson sq. on the blue or orange line), 5 blocks to Dupont Circle, 6 blocks to White House north lawn. Great neighborhood, very safe and comfortable walking around, tons of delicious local restaurants and 1 block to a huge Whole Foods and Starbuck's, which helped to defray the ridiculously high costs of eating on the mall (we packed a lunch almost every day). They upgraded us to a suite when we checked in. There was a fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the room, they all worked well. The bathrooms seemed new and were pretty nice. There is a bar on site that had some nice wines and wasn't too expensive. Cons: Our room was very musty and I think my daughter and I were both allergic to it. They upgraded us to a suite.. nice of them, but with 4 people (even though 2 of them are smallish) we needed 2 beds, and this room had 1 King. It did have a pull out couch, but really, when you've booked 2 queens, sleeping on a pull out couch doesn't really cut it. The whole place seemed a little run down and beat up and the attention to detail was just a little off. For instance, wiping down all the surfaces in the room. There were a lot of smudgy, grubby spots on the coffee table and bedside tables, around the fridge, etc. I ended up walking around the room with a wet washcloth and scrubbing most of the surfaces. The room heater in the wall was VERY loud and had left a pall of dusty grub on the ceiling where it blew out it's air. There was a balcony on our room, but the door and windows really didn't close very well, so I didn't feel all that secure leaving our things in the room and it got quite cold at night from the draftiness. The bed, for some odd reason, was a total pretzel maker. The pull out couch turned out to be more comfortable! Closet was just an indent in the wall with a bar on it, leaving you with a feeling of having all your clothes hanging in the middle of the room. When we were leaving, the bellman pointed my husband in the direction of the ramp to wheel the cart full of luggage out to our car instead of HELPING him (he was just standing there.) All in all.....if I was going to DC again and wanted to use points, I might stay here again, but I would sure look around at my other options. This would not be my first choice. However, it is really conveniently located and I've stayed in far worse hotels. Middle of the road to slightly shabby would be my rating.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank davismama2003
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear davismama2003,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for leaving a comprehensive review. It's good to know that our location made you feel safe and it suited your needs. I do apologize for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the Washington, DC area.

Irish V.