“Great central location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Great central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Although I travel and stay in Washington DC frequently, this was my first stay at this property at the recommendation of a colleague. There are a few reasons I will likely be back, some of which are based on personal travel preferences and some of which are based on the hotel itself. This hotel is centrally located and sits on top of a metro station with access to three different lines. Beautiful. It is located within a 5-10 minute walk to the national mall, which is appealing as a runner (though I prefer the paths along the river to stoplights every block...argh). It is within walking distance to great restaurants and a indie movie theater. When you tire of restaurants, take advantage of the mini-fridge in many of the rooms and the Whole Foods Market just two metro stops away (Foggy Bottom). The hotel fitness center was much better than most in terms of quantity and quality of equipment. The staff was gracious. The Starbucks just off the lobby was the real deal (versus the "We Proudly Serve" stands that I've given up on in many hotels). My room was quiet, the AC worked, and the Marriott Club lounge was clean and well-stocked. If you are a runner like me, the only downside was the distance to stoplight-free running. For that, I'd recommend the Rosslyn hotels near the river, which give you nice access to the Mt. Vernon Trail, the Potmomac Heritage Trail, and the canal trails on the other side of the Potomac. Access from Reagan National Airport is easy. You can take a taxi from Dulles to the silver metro line and metro in the rest of the way or taxi in the whole way (~$65).

3 Thank Jen335

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The service and staff here was excellent. Trayvon at the front desk welcomed us with professionalism and open arms and concierge Aurora and Kristin were awesome ! Kristin helped make my Monuments Moonlight Tour for me prior to my arrival (which was a huge help) and Aurora was always attentive in helping us find restaurants and addresses to sites. Mo at the front was always pleasant. Liz at Sage & Fire is a ray of sunshine . This was our first trip to D.C. and the staff made our stay enjoyable, welcoming and safe. Hotel is located near everything and in a very safe area. Easy to walk to restaurants, and to many of the D.C. sites ! The only bad experience was that I caught a cab in front of the hotel and the driver not only argued the entire time on the phone while driving me to Georgetown, he went past my stop and over charged me. That was a huge disappointment especially because he was one of the cab drivers waiting outside the Marriott Metro hotel. So patrons, ask the hotel greeters outside to get you a safe and dependable driver. You don't have to catch every cab that pulls up. ASK for a reliable driver -- VERY IMPORTANT. With that said, Red Top Cab is EXCELLENT and the hotel can call for you if need be. Other than that, our stay was enjoyable and we are definitely coming back to visit

Room Tip: Ask for a high top floor, corner
Green Features: Staff very friendly, helpful and pleasant. Warm staff makes happy patrons !
3 Thank Lei L
Jay-AGM, Manager at Washington Marriott at Metro Center, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the Metro Center Marriott on TripAdvisor. I wanted to let you know that I've shared your feedback with our team and they will be recognized appropriately. We'll look forward to seeing you on your next trip to DC!

Jay L
Director of Operations
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I'm a Marriott Rewards program member and stay at their properties when possible. I have never been disappointed, or at least not enough to ruin anything, including my attitude about the company. (I've stayed at Courtyards and Fairfield Inns mostly.)
We were in DC for C's meeting; I was the tagalong-tourist for the week! Hotel was an excellent location: AT metro center, several blocks to the Mall, near good eats (Chinatown..), a couple blocks to Circulator (bus). Everyone who served us, advised me, cleaned for us, etc. was professional and hospitable! Well managed property, I think, with bar/restaurant (good 4-7 happyhour), Starbucks, straightforward lobby... Climate control in the room was easily and quietly controllable! The gym was pretty spacious and the pool was ok for (short!) laps. Hotel patrons seemed more business people than tourists.
I'd return to Washington Marriott Metro Center anytime.

Martha P -

I'm so happy to read that we were able to exceed your expectations during your recent stay at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center. I'll make sure to share your comments with our team. Have a great weekend!!

-Jay L
Director of Operations
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I booked this hotel through Hotels.com for my husband & I; it was a great choice! the front desk is very helpful and friendly. The first room we got was on the 8th floor; unfortunately the street noise the first night was too much for my light-sleeper hubby. We requested to move to a higher floor, there was no problem. They were timely and very understandable/attentive. Our room 1401; was perfect. The beds are comfortable, decor is lovely, rooms are clean, restaurant has a nice breakfast, metro is at the corner, walking distance to White House, Smithsonian, Washington Monument, restaurants, etc. If we return to DC we will stay here again. We were overall very pleased.

Room Tip: Rooms in the corner seem to be a bit roomier, higher floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Very good hotel property. Newly refurbished. Excellent café and they have a Starbucks in the lobby. Great shopping across the street (Macy's) and easy walk or METRO(NEXT DOOR) to all of the attractions.

Room Tip: Can take METRO from Regan National Airport to the front door.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank CLARK32013
Cerritos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I loved the hotel. The lobby was very clean with a modern decor. The room was spacious and also clean with a modern decor. The king bed was very comfortable and I did not hear too much outside noise so I slept very well. About a 10-15 minutes walk to the White House, Museums, National Mall area, and Chinatown. The Metro station (Metro Center) is about a 2 minute walk down the street. Most of the train routes go through the Metro Center Station so it was easy navigating. The food at the Fire and Sage restaurant was very good. MOST of the staff at the hotel were very helpful and pleasant. My only suggestion would be to re-train one of the servers at the restaurant in customer service. I won't name the server's name but she never smiled and was never in a rush to get anyting for me and my wife. Even when the restaurant was slow it took her more than ten minutes to take our order. We asked for a drinking straw for a glass of water and she never came back to the table! I had to get out of my seat to go get one myself. My wife and I tried to avoid sitting at one of her tables after our second visit. She's the only staff member that we had a problem with so I didn't let her ruin a good thing. The other staff members at Fire and Sage were friendly, professional and truly great hosts and hostesses. A shout out to Ferowin, Frehoit, Julie, and Lucia (They were awesome). Also, a special shout out to Aimal (Front desk supervisor) for helping my wife complete her "Ice Bucket Challenge". Aimal is a very pleasant and hard working young man and is an asset to Marriott. I would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We spent 2 days in this hotel in June 2014. We really loved the room; it was spacious, comfortable, nicely decorated and well furnished. The beds were fantastic and the bathroom was also very nice. Staff was very friendly and the location is just great, near the White House and the National Mall, restaurants, bars and shops.

Pretty much everything was fantastic about this hotel, I would really recommend it!

Two comments though: the breakfast was quite expensive and not tasty at all, it was actually slightly disgusting. Secondly, there was no free wifi in the rooms. That is really a dinosaur age lack of service.

Great hotel, definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple