“Great hotel”

Ranked #100 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Im surprised this isnt rated better on here as i thought it was a wonderful hotel. Good location-we walked from here around all of the monuments. Granted it was about 7 miles but im a big fan of walking around cities. Chinatown was a short walk for meals which we liked.
We stayed for 2 nights, then headed to NYC for 2 nights, then back here for another 2. We were welcomed by door staff and reception at all times. We paid $99 per night which i thought was very reasonable.
You get bottled water in your room and a safe. Tv channels were good and the bathroom was lovely.
I would say however that the bed is far too small. I shared with my sister and we are both 5 foot and small, yet we constantly knocked each othee during the night. Im glad i wasnt sharing with my fiance who is 6 foot 2 as it wouldve been a nightmare! Also i was keen to use the fitness room but its incredibly small - 2 treadmills and a bike, and im not keen on running so that was a shame.
We ordered room service 1 night which was lovely - luckily we shared as the portion was huge! We got the club sandwich which was very nice.
Overall it was a great hotel. Thank you for having us!

Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We offer several different room types with either Queen or King beds. Upgrades to Junior Suites are very reasonably priced. These rooms include a King size bed and some have pull out sofa beds if you's rather not share with your sister next time. We also offer King beds in our Deluxe room type so keep that in mind when planning your return visit.
The Tavern Restaurant and Blue Bar offer great food and value for our hotel and neighborhood patrons alike.
We hope to see you again soon.

Maggie Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
wolverhampton
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Overall this had the potential to be a nice (not great) hotel. Staff certainly didn't subscribe to 'service with a smile' and were a little ignorant at times. But by far the worst issue and the reason I would not stay there again was the very noisy rooms. Lying in bed you could clearly hear traffic outside, then the fridge started making noises, then the plumbing from surrounding rooms joined in, and finally to top it all off when the (fan) heating came on it sounded like there was a small generator in the room. When I first arrived in the room I remember looking at a small complementary package on the bed and wondering why they had given me ear plugs?!

On the plus side ..... well I'm struggling to think of anything.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you have no other option
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jaykay1975
I am so sorry to hear that you found nothing to like about our historic hotel. I and my team are committed to insuring that your hotel experience exceeds your expectations. I am disappointed that we fell short.
The building dates back to 1918 but is extremely well maintained by our engineering staff. They are always available to expedite any problems with your room.
We have been offering earplugs because of the construction project across from the Henley Park, which is nearing completion.
I hope that you will reconsider and allow us to wow you on a future visit.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

The Henley Park Hotel has a lot going for it, first it's historic charm. Built in the early 1900's as an apartment building, the hotel has managed to not only hold onto its original allure, but some of the upgrades enhances it as well. The rooms are very comfortable and have many amenities that one would expect from a boutique hotel. Next location is is a big plus, located on Massachusetts Ave. just a block from the Washington Convention Center, a 10 minute walk to China Town (and other good restaurants) and a short 15 minutes to the National Mall. Finally the service is exceptional, you are treated very well as a guest and the staff are welcoming and friendly.

A few words to the wise however, while the quoted nightly rate seems reasonable for a downtown DC hotel, watch out for the gotchas. Valet parking is $33 a night, (no other choice,) and the room tax in the district is very high. On a quoted rate of $225 per night, we ended up paying well over $300. Also while the hotels restaurant is very charming, (it is a converted courtyard with glass ceilings,) the food is not very good and very $$$$!

Room Tip: Right now the new Marriott Marquis is be built right across the street. Try to avoid that side of t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,
Your succinct description of our hotel is appreciated. Thankfully the construction of the Marriott is nearing completion although interior facing room requests are usually available for a quieter option.
On your return trip book your parking in advance on our web site, a savings of $9.00 per day. I will be sure to let the staff know how pleased you were with the service they provided.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The first room I had was big beautiful but noisy (there was building opposite). They immediately gave me a slightly smaller, but delightful room which was quiet and bright with lovely furniture. The people at the desk could not have been more helpful, friendly and charming. Thank you Natalie for getting me tickets for the ballet at last minute notice. The first time I have ever been to Washington. I shall go and stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I will insure that Netasha receives your thanks for the last minute tickets. She is a new addition to our team but is doing an excellent job. Please come see us again on your return voyage.

Warm regards,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for business. The location is very good, the structure is an historical, old-england fashion and charming. The room was nice, even though I personally do not like the moquette as I find it dirty, the only disappointing part was the bathroom, not at the standard of a four stars hotel (small, old, without any amenity). The first evening we had dinner there, food was nice and at very reasonable price. Also, we profited of a happy hour as aperitif (champagne for 5 dollars a glass) and appetizers.. Overall, a very charming night! The only thing that was really disappointing was that the espresso machine was broken, no way to get a decent coffee in the morning, so terrible for me as Italian! Overall, the personnel was nice and trying to help when needed. A good experience, but please repair the machine for espresso!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay. The Tavern Restaurant and Blue Bar do offer great food and drinks at very reasonable prices. The Happy Hour you describe is offered M-S form 4pm-7pm.
The style and size of all our rooms and bathrooms vary because of our unique historic building, originally built as an apartment in 1918. Let us know your personal preference and we will pair you with the room that best suits your needs.
We appreciate comments such as yours, as it not only lets us know how well we are doing but it also gives us insight on ways to improve.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

A quirky small hotel in an historical building suffered from a lack of personal service. Washington was a bit like that in everything. If you ask, it will be done, but no desire to genuinely connect and anticipate your needs. My travel agent failed to make sure that we had a bed each, and the hotel only has queen beds , so I had to pay an extra $50 per night for using the sofa bed in a jnr suite. That bed is not suitable for a fully grown adult.
Be warned that the hotel is situated on a busy road, and there is 7 day a week construction across the street, for which I was given one set of earplugs.
On a positive note, good quality main bed and bathrobes plus a bar fridge. On a lesser note, a 20 inch TV in jnr suite?

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ju M
Thank you for your feedback. That we missed the mark in any way is regrettable and we will certainly try to do better in the future. Our staff is usually very committed to your complete satisfaction and are always ready to assist. How disappointing that your travel agent booked the wrong type of room. Our hotel does not have any rooms with two beds. This information is readily available to all travel agents and all room types and descriptions are on our web site.
I am pleased that we were able to accomodate you in a Junior Suite. I am however a bit confused regarding the description of the TV in your room. The smallest size TV in our Suites is 32" and in some cases depending on the room configuration are 42".
I hope that you will consider us in the future and if I can assist in any way please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

It's considerably less expensive than many other DC hotels. It's right by the convention center, clean and no frills. I'd stay here again. The rooms are small but I spent very little time in my hotel room anyway. It's a bit dated but it was fine.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your astute review of our hotel. I am pleased that our historic building and services met your needs. We bring a unique experience to your Washington, DC stay with all the comfort and amenities of a large chain hotel without the cookie cutter look and feel.
As you correctly indicated we are located just a block away fron the Convention Center making it one of the best locations for conventioneers.
I hope that you will choose us again on your next visit.