“A Short Visit to Washington DC”

The Henley Park Hotel
Ranked #100 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Abu Dhabi
“A Short Visit to Washington DC”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

A short vacation in August had me visiting Washington DC for the first time. Choosing a location that was reasonably close to 'the sites' yet not part of the big business hassle that comes along with the larger hotels was the reason for selecting this location.
Not an overly large hotel but the facilities needed, bed, food etc were there. I was pleasantly surprised that my room was available so early in the day have flown overnight to get to the States and i checked in just before midday. The interior of the hotel and the rooms reminded me of English hotels in rural towns, almost a Fawlty Towers perception, less the crazy owner!
The staff were all helpful and polite and one couldn't get lost in the building, although discerning where breakfast was on the first day was challenging.
I ate one evening meal at the bar in the hotel which was very good. All other meals were exterior to the hotel and all within walking distance, literally one or two blocks.
Overall, despite the construction works over the road, which actually didn't affect my sleep whatsoever, I was very pleased with the choice of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tony F
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of your hotel experience at the Henley Park. I am pleased that our historic building and services met your needs. We bring a unique experience to your Washington, DC stay with all the comfort and amenities of a large chain hotel. I am happy to see that the staff did their usual great job, especially our food and beverage team. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to them.
I hope to see again soon.

Warm Regards,

Maggie Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
Blairstown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I just spent a weekend here to celebrate his birthday. The pictures posted are exactly how it looks. Very elegant and sophisticated. We had a junior suite, complete with refrigerator, sink, sitting area, huge desk. For a reasonably priced hotel in a major city, the space was huge. My only complaint is that the noises of the city (not the hotel's fault) were a little disturbing. And guess what? They give you earplugs to help with this. The bar area, complete with a very nice old-style jazz trio was very nice at night. The hotel kind of takes you back to a different era.

The location is great. You can very easily walk to many of the major attractions in Washington.
There's an amazing Cajun restaurant right around the corner called Arcadiana. If you've ever eaten real New Orleans food and love it, know that this place has it nailed. Excellent.

But here's the best part about the Henley. Everyone here is committed to making your stay a good one. The staff was very professional and helpful every step of the way. In the middle of our 5 hour drive home, I realized that I left my kindle under my pillow, complete with downloads of at least 25 very popular books and a beautiful leather cover with an attached reading light. I was sure I would never see it again. I called right away, but was told to call back in a few hours after the housekeepers were finished and filed their reports for the day. Sure enough, when I called back, they had reported finding it. The staff offered to fed-ex it back to me, charging my card for the shipping only. We left on Sunday afternoon and I just received the carefully wrapped package (Wednesday morning). You can't ask for better service than that. We definitely would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1024daytripper
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do strive to make our guests feel at home when they visit our hotel and we endeavour to provide the highest level of customer service. Your experience reflects our staff's commitment to service and quality. They often make me very proud.
I hope that you will return soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My girl friend and I booked a weekend break last minute to Washington DC. Return flight from Toronto and 2 nights accommodation $380 each (including tax) who can complain about that. Chose the hotel based on reviews and the promised old world charm and it did not disappoint. Yes the hotel was older but it clearly stated that in the description in fact the hotel has a historic plaque outside - I found this really refreshing since I live in a ultra modern city - love historic buildings. Room was large - king size bed and very comfortable sofa pull out. Very clean and modern bathroom - lovely white towels and bath robes. Friendly staff happily made restaurant recommendations when we asked, and then followed up to see if we had enjoyed the recommendation.
Close to some tourist attractions but then again Washington is very spread out, but the hotel was close to the metro which we used a lot. My only complaint - and really it had nothing to do with the hotel was the loudness of the fire trucks, police cars and ambulances through the night - but saying that the hotel did acknowledge this and there were ear plugs in the room - a nice touch. In summery a great little hotel with character, style and friendliness. We didn't eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank alie01
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am pleased to learn from your review that you enjoyed our convenient location. Our prime location provides our guests a seamless way to explore the Washington, DC area and is within walking distance of many area attractions and two Metro stations as you discovered. We often get great feedback from our patrons on the beds with 100% cotton Frette bedding that give it a luxurious feel.
Make your next great escape a return to the Henley Park Hotel.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Beautiful historic hotel. Located convenient to attractions. Staff was very friendly, nice bar, clean rooms and free wireless. Would recommend this hotel and looking forward to staying here in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sarah19992013
Succinctly put and much appreciated. We'll watch for your return.

Boston
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

The location and price of the hotel were perfect. Decor needs some updating and the front desk staff seemed a bit....unpolished for a hotel that close to a convention center. Was good for a one day trip through DC.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank You for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was marred efficient staff. It is always our goal to provide our guests with outstanding service throughout their stay and comments like yours helps us target problem areas so that they are properly addressed and avoided in the future. Your feedback is very important to us and I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate staff members for review and action.
Should your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC, we would love for you to consider staying with us again.

Maine
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We found this place through hotels.com and were very pleased. Classy old fashioned lobby with great bar and sitting room. Friendly staff. Smallish room (huge by new York city standards) but nicely remodeled with moder bathroom. Free wireless.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Our twenty first century amenities such as wifi and TV are great but do need to fit in with the early 20th century sensibility of our historic hotel. I hope that we provide the proper balance. Come back when you can stay a little longer.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed there for three nights and it was really nice. The location was excellent, we walked to the attractions and it's also close to subway stations. The room is a good size and very clean. We would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danicapi
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Your review made my day. Thank you! Our goal is to insure your comfort while visiting our city. I am glad we hit the mark. Come back and see us again!.

Warm regards,