“Quaint little English-style hotel in a good location”

The Henley Park Hotel
Ranked #100 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Midwesterner007
“Quaint little English-style hotel in a good location”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We liked this quaint little hotel, which I understand was once lodging for diplomats. It reminded me of some smaller hotels in London. I loved the detail and the ambiance. The room was nice. The bedding was soft and, with the blackout curtains, the sleep quality was good. I would characterize this as a nice spot for a romantic getaway. It was well-located and we walked to the mall and Chinatown with little effort. The room was very clean. The staff was very effiicent and friendly. I really appreciated the fact that they let us check-in a little early.

The only minor quibbles I had was that the TV was a little tricky to power up and, even in this day and time, it appeared that another guest on our floor was smoking (against hotel policy) and the smoke came through to our room. (I wish there was a way to better enforce non-smoking policies everywhere.)

Otherwise, nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Midwesterner007
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, the hotel does have that old English feel to it with it's Tudor style and gargoyles adorning all the nooks and crannies.
I am sorry that you had to endure the discomfort of smoke from an adjacent room. As a 100% non-smoking hotel we do enforce a $250.00 penalty whenever smoke is detected in a room.
Whenever smoking is reported the room requires deep cleaning, ionizing, carpet and upholstery shampooed so I would love to be able to better control smoking violations, as well.
I hope that you mentioned it to the Guest Service Agent the following morning.
Your comfort is our goal so we will continue to monitor any activities that cause problems for our guests.
Please come back and see us again.

Regards,

Maggie Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Orefield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed the hotel stay, the room was big and clean loved the king size bed and taking a shower after walking all day in the hot and humid weather in Washington. Everyone were pleasant. Just can't believe how much they would charge you from the mini bar. $4.00 for a snickers bars, I think $4.00 for a small bottle of water or soda,etc. Thank good we had our own drinks and snacks. Cause they charged for parking and tax on top of that!!!!! yep the rate of parking then taxes, and then since we were there for two days they charge you twice the tax????? plus the tax of the room. I guess that's Washington D.C. for you. Other than that we had a good time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DC does have several confusing tax tiers for services offered at out hotel; 18% on valet parking, 14.5% on lodging, 10% on Food and Beverage, it can be difficult to keep up with them all.
I am glad to hear that with all the tax turmoil that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will return to enjoy all the benefits of our great city.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had a family affair to attend & the Henley Park Hotel was centrally located to the event. The rooms were spacious, clean & quiet. Alexandra was very helpful, professional and funny & no request was to small or to difficult to make happen. We would stay there again without hesitation and we would love Alexandra to be there in our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Alexandra will enjoy reading your review as much as I did. Thank you for your gracious compliments! Alex has been an employee of our company for over 30 years, She began her career at one of our sister properties and has been at the Henley Park's Tavern Restaurant since 2007. I doubt that she will be leaving us anytime soon.
I'll let her know to keep the welcome mat out for you.

Indiana
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Checked in tonight and have mixed feeling. The hotel is at a convenient location, with some really nice restaurants around it. The room is small, which is not uncommon in DC, the bedding is nice and the bathroom is actually quite big. There are some serious problems with the some of the rooms though.
The first room given to me was at the end of the building, maybe above some vent and had a big noise. I went down to the front desk and was told there might not be any room available but found one. The 2nd room was smaller, above the restaurant, was also noisy. I thought I might have been too sensitive today, but not thinking so anymore since I saw a pair of ear plugs on the bed provided by the hotel. There is a purpose for this unusual offer.
The biggest problem with the 2nd room was that it does not have a desk!!!! This is a disaster for anybody visiting DC for business. The hotel does not have a public area with desks the guest can use. Now the first room is occupied and I am stuck with an equally noisy room with no desk! I am typing sitting on the bed with the computer on a small foldable table and it hurts my back.
I assume one could ask for a room facing the street and with a desk if available, but would be difficulty to manage.

Room Tip: Find a room facing street and with a desk!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank Zh.Ou.
I am sorry that you found that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. We are undergoing a renovation of all of our hotel rooms, including adding an extra large desk to all rooms. Currently all rooms on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor as well as the Junior Suites and Deluxe rooms have these desks. Most of the standard rooms have desks as well but they arer period furniture and tend to be smaller.
Our goal is always to exceed our guests expectations and I hope that you will try us again.

Regards,

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

This wasva first time visit to Washington D.C. for my husband and I. This hotel was great and everything we needed for our trip. There was construction on another hotel across the street during the day but we did not hear it from our room. The room was clean, the bathroom was large and the staff was friendly and helpful. I love the old charm of this hotel. We definitely would stay here again!!

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The great historic ambiance of our hotel makes you feel as if you've been transported to a city in Europe. It is perfect for a unique staycation or romantic hide away. Do come back and see us soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed in the King Suite. Well worth it. The staff was very friendly. Only drawback is the construction across the street. Some of the surrounding hotels have construction across the street from them also. Ask before booking any hotel in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank curly1993
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
It is true that our popular neighborhood is experiencing tremendous growth. We do have available Atrium or interior facing rooms for those guests concerned about noise.
Your compliments of the staff and cleanliness of our hotel is appreciated.

London
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel is very distinctive in Washington - 'olde worlde' - like it's pretending to be an Oxford college (only brick, not Cotswold stone!) Inside there are stone floors and tapestries, not marble, mirrors and chrome.
The room was a little small but extremely comfortable, gorgeous bed, thoughtful touches like free bottled water and an umbrella for your use and a robe.
The staff were lovely - helpful, attentive, friendly. I had a minor disaster which they handled very well.
In June 2013 I didn't experience any noise (as mentioned by others). I am an extremely light sleeper but in my room I didn't need the earplugs. Maybe I was focused on my work, but I didn't notice 'grimy carpets' or other things complained about here.
It's not 5 star modern luxury but I wasn't paying a 5-star price (maybe I got a good deal - just over 200 per night).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about your recent stay. Your description is very apt. Unlike most cookie cutter hotels our historic hotel offers a unique experience. I will be sure to pass along your thanks to he staff. I am pleased to hear that they were able to assist you.

Please come back and see us again.