“Gracious, lovely, attentive”

Ranked #99 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London
“Gracious, lovely, attentive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel is very distinctive in Washington - 'olde worlde' - like it's pretending to be an Oxford college (only brick, not Cotswold stone!) Inside there are stone floors and tapestries, not marble, mirrors and chrome.
The room was a little small but extremely comfortable, gorgeous bed, thoughtful touches like free bottled water and an umbrella for your use and a robe.
The staff were lovely - helpful, attentive, friendly. I had a minor disaster which they handled very well.
In June 2013 I didn't experience any noise (as mentioned by others). I am an extremely light sleeper but in my room I didn't need the earplugs. Maybe I was focused on my work, but I didn't notice 'grimy carpets' or other things complained about here.
It's not 5 star modern luxury but I wasn't paying a 5-star price (maybe I got a good deal - just over 200 per night).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Maggie E, General Manager at The Henley Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about your recent stay. Your description is very apt. Unlike most cookie cutter hotels our historic hotel offers a unique experience. I will be sure to pass along your thanks to he staff. I am pleased to hear that they were able to assist you.

Please come back and see us again.

Maggie Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
NY, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I've come to really like the Henley Park Hotel. Over the years the rooms have been updated without losing their classic feel. The lobby and common areas are comfortable and clubby. It is right in downtown which means It is the opposite of glossy and modern and I personally find it a nice change of pace. The sheets were also so soft. If you have time, eat breakfast in the tavern. The dining room is lovely and the portions are huge so you could easily share with someone. The only downside is the bathrooms are clean and functional but not as up to date as other parts of the hotel. it is very convenient to business, metro and attractions. It also means you will hear city noise.However, I think for the price this a great deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction across the street.
Thank FromNYto?
Thank you for your review. What a great description of our hotel, it's historic character, in-room amenities and staff committed to the best customer experience. I really appreciate your loyalty and hope to see you again, soon.

Warm regards,

New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Sorry, this place is not "charming." It is an aging property that has not been upgraded in years. Bathrooms are from the 1970s (they are, at least, clean). The carpeting in the room is ancient and feels grimy when you walk across it (the hotel does not provide slippers). Because of the old-school double-hung windows, the street noise is so bad (and I live right in NYC), that the hotel provides you with earplugs. The room service menu is extremely limited, and you don't even get a glass of ice water with your order - guess you're supposed to take a bottle out of the mini bar or drink from the bathroom tap. The staff is friendly and helpful, but that doesn't make up for the fact that this rundown place costs $400/night.

1 Thank VespaGirlNJ
I am so sorry that you found your hotel stay a poor value. Hotel rates can fluctuate based on demand, usually driven by Convention Center activities but are seldom $400. I value your feedback and appreciate that you took the time to inform me of your concerns. My team and i are very committed to all of our guest's satisfaction and I will follow-up with my housekeeping team, who do an exceptional job, to check all carpeting.
We have completed an ongoing renovation of three floors of the hotel and will continue with two more floors this year.
Although our hotel is unlike branded hotel I believe we offer an exceptional hotel experience.

auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

There is currently a massive construction happening directly opposite the Henley Park Hotel at the moment - so that's a major eyesore. That said - this old hotel is quite Noisy inside anyway - they provide ear plugs for ' city noises' - but it's mainly the air -conditioning, other doors slamming etc. My room faced some offices so the shades were all pulled down during the day - otherwise you'd be staring right onto someone's desk and them! Ok if you are out all day anyway.
Location is convenient for east side based sightseeing by walking - and you can walk to UNion station easily enough. Rooms are small but clean. Bed and sheets were clean and comfortable. Towels were good quality. Bathroom and shower were older but functioned well.

2 Thank Auckland1234
Although unsightly at the moment, the construction projects is a reflection of the growth happening in our vibrant neighborhood. Easy access to many of the sights, museums and the National Mall area do make this a wonderfully central location.
I am happy that you enjoyed the Frette towels provided and that overall you found your accomodations to be pleasant.

Many thanks,

Teguzco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

in the heart of the city, the Henley Park Hotel worked very well for us in all but its distance from the Metro. If you are taking the train from Reagan National or elsewhere in the city, you will find that you have a bit of a walk ahead of you. (Ignore the hotel's own directions from the Gallery Place-Chinatown station and get your own from elsewhere. The hotel's are vague and assume you have some idea where the Convention Center is.)

Our room was small but adequate to the needs of two travelers more interested in spending the time in the city than in the hotel. The bed was excellent, the bath clean and capable of providing all the hot water I wanted, quickly and continuously, even on the 6th floor.

Our room faced an airshaft and other hotel rooms, which might put some off. It served to protect us, however, from the seemingly interminable emergency vehicles of Washington, D.C. and the morning sun when we wanted to sleep in. (The blinds on the windows do an excellent job of the latter, as well.)

The bar off the lobby is an intimate place for a drink to wind down after cruising the city or eating at one of the many restaurants within a 6-8 block walk, including two we enjoyed greatly which are within a few blocks: Acadiana and El Rinconcito. (See my reviews of those for more information.) We did not try the restauarant, but the menu, pricing and selection seemed reasonable for a small hotel such as this.

Staff were polite but distant for the most part. A request for a few more hangers met with some resistance at first but they were delivered. Ice must be requested from the bar and can take awhile to arrive.

The honor bar, with its abhorrent pricing, will be found here but you will return from your day to find complimentary bottled water in your room.

We did not pay full freight for this room, but found a low rate and additional discount at a popular online booking site.

If and when I return to D.C., I probably will look elsewhere, but only because I'd like more convenient access to the Metro. We did walk to the National Mall with no real effort on a bright Sunday morning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I will check the text for our directions so that we are not causing confusion. I am not sure which Metro stations you used but there are two exits to the Gallery Place Metro station(Red Line and connection to Blue, Yellow and Orange Line), the less popular 9th and F street exit is the one described on our web site but can easily be confused with the more popular 7th and H Street exit which is farther away from the hotel, 5 blocks from our location.
A second Metro station is located at 7th and M St (Mt. Vernon and Convention Center). This is the closest station to our hotel at three blocks.
I am glad that you found us and your stay to be a good value. The best discounted rates can also be found on our website.

I hope that you'll come back and appreciate your business,

Kinderhook, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

This property, a member of Historic Hotels of American, is charming and well appointed. If you like small hotels with real character and attentive service, this could be for you. The rooms are small but lovely. The location is great, allowing guest to walk to most of DC's sights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
I am grateful for your lovely and succinct review.
You personify our goal for all of our guests.

Lelystad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

In our second visit to DC we chose this hotel for residing nearby a diverse amount of DC highlights. What a good choice this was. In our daily walks we discovered many nice places for dinner and lunch, as well as shopping possibilities. And, we learned to find our way in easy walks passing White House, IMF etc. etc. We found the Henley Park a place to feel really at home. Kind and helpfull staff in a historic ambience, nice spacious rooms, very clean, comfortable beds.
Breakfast-, lunch- and dinnermenu with a good variety, very tastefull and nicely presented by kind waiters and waitresses. We will be surely back here.

Room Tip: In my guess all rooms will be equally equipped and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
What a pleasure it was to read your review. It is greatly appreciated. We always try to make all of our guests customer for life!

We hope to see you soon,