“Great Place!”

Ranked #120 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Seattle, WA
“Great Place!”
Reviewed June 11, 2005

This is a great place to stay, at the right price. The Harrington is an older hotel, and as older hotels go they do have their quirks- which we enjoy. The staff are fantastic, the location is great and the neighborhood is safe. We were able to walk everywhere such as the White House, Smithsonian Museums, all the monuments on the Mall. Our room was a good size, very clean, and they even provided a refrigerator for us. There were many good restaurants near by, as well. My parents stayed here also and thought their room was excellent and had no complaints.
I did read some negative comments on this site, and can only conclude that these people were seeking a five star hotel for a budget price in a major city - get real!

• Stayed June 2005
21 Thank DianaSeattle_WA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 4, 2005

This IS the hotel to stay at while in D.C.!!! The decor is older, but the Harrington is clean and the service is UNBEATABLE! The hotel staff as well as housekeeping were the BEST you could ask for!! Our room had 2 queen beds and the room was very good size. Whenever we asked for something, whether it be towels, or an extra pillow, it was quickly delivered!! There were many chanels on the TV to choose from. The first night we were there, there was a problem with the shower (barely any water pressure), 2 of the staff promptly came and changed the shower head and we had water pressure galore!! Our view was wonderful, we watched all the people from our window. The neighborhood was excellent and clean and we felt safe. We were in walking distance of everthing we wanted to see!! 2 blocks from the subway, bus service at the corner, 3 blocks from the National Mall and all that includes, etc.!! We would encourage a stay at the Harrington and if/when we ever go back...we will definatelly stay here.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 24, 2005

We just stayed at this hotel during the GWU graduation. The hotel is old as other reviews state, but it certainly doesn't deserve the poor ratings some people have given it. During check-in, the staff was extremely accommodating and very courteous. I had expected much worse from the hotel given the great price. My family and I were very pleasantly surprised by the large rooms (we had 2) and the general appearance of the hotel. The location is fantastic! One block from the Old Post office, 2-3 blocks from Metro Center and about 5 blocks from the Mall. Walking distance to Chinatown, and all the attractions around the Mall. The are quite a few good restaurants within walking distance and the hotel provides an extensive list of others in the area. The area seems safe and we had no problems walking around the area at night. (It's 1 block from the FBI).
There were lots of busloads of kids at the hotel during our stay, but there was never any noise heard from within our room. We were adjacent to the elevator but I was not able to hear it from the room. I've stayed at plenty of good and bad hotels and this hotel rates close to the top for value. It's by no means a Marriott, but it's a great hotel for the money in downtown DC. After all, I had my mother-in-law along and we are still talking to each other after staying here!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 23, 2005

My husband and I took a spontaneous trip to DC the weekend of 9/11 last year. We stayed at the Harrington and LOVED it! We didn't have very high expectations since it was last minute, central to everything, and still quite affordable, however; we were quite impressed! It's a very old hotel, but that just adds to the charm! We were walking distance to the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, Ford Theatre, lots of restaurants, and much, much more! The staff was very accommodating and the room was more accessible than most we've seen. We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2004
9 Thank asm775
Reviewed May 9, 2005

Our room were in need of some much overdo rennovation, but it was clean.
The lobby is about the size of small livingroom, so if you're thinking of cushy sofas, chairs and a bar....forget about it. I agree with the street noise we were on the 3rd floor and these trucks parked outside the restaurant with their engines running for hours I guess unloading supplies. The staff was friendly. Overall, I wouldn't stay there again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Reviewed May 8, 2005

One of the worst hotel experiences I've had. The walls are super thin, you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the hallway and the rooms next to you. The maids were loud in the morning, slamming doors and yelling at each other down the hall. We weren't able to sleep the 3 nights we were there. There was no way to fix the temperature ourselves in the room. The only good thing I can say is that despite the room being old and in dire need of refurbishment, it was in a great location, the room was clean (but it LOOKED dirty) and the staff very friendly. You get HBO!!!! Also, a lot of student groups stay here....I guess it's decent if you are so tired from sightseeing that you are able to sleep through all the noise that goes on.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed May 7, 2005

Enjoyed my stay last week in Hotel Harrington, has great service, they gave me whatever I needed even though I was there with a big group
they are located just blocks from all the major tourist attractions and their prices are the lowest you'll find in that area. They have alot of different options in the sizing of the rooms. They even let my group and some friends staying somewhere else store our baggage the whole day after I checked out (my train was at night). Would recomend to anyone looking for a good hotel at a cheap price. Only problem you might have something broken, but I'm sure the great staff will be happy to help you

6 Thank no