“Great hotel for the money, can't beat the location.”
Review of Hotel Harrington

Hotel Harrington
Ranked #118 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great hotel for the money, can't beat the location.”
Reviewed May 24, 2005

We just stayed at this hotel during the GWU graduation. The hotel is old as other reviews state, but it certainly doesn't deserve the poor ratings some people have given it. During check-in, the staff was extremely accommodating and very courteous. I had expected much worse from the hotel given the great price. My family and I were very pleasantly surprised by the large rooms (we had 2) and the general appearance of the hotel. The location is fantastic! One block from the Old Post office, 2-3 blocks from Metro Center and about 5 blocks from the Mall. Walking distance to Chinatown, and all the attractions around the Mall. The are quite a few good restaurants within walking distance and the hotel provides an extensive list of others in the area. The area seems safe and we had no problems walking around the area at night. (It's 1 block from the FBI).
There were lots of busloads of kids at the hotel during our stay, but there was never any noise heard from within our room. We were adjacent to the elevator but I was not able to hear it from the room. I've stayed at plenty of good and bad hotels and this hotel rates close to the top for value. It's by no means a Marriott, but it's a great hotel for the money in downtown DC. After all, I had my mother-in-law along and we are still talking to each other after staying here!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 23, 2005

My husband and I took a spontaneous trip to DC the weekend of 9/11 last year. We stayed at the Harrington and LOVED it! We didn't have very high expectations since it was last minute, central to everything, and still quite affordable, however; we were quite impressed! It's a very old hotel, but that just adds to the charm! We were walking distance to the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, Ford Theatre, lots of restaurants, and much, much more! The staff was very accommodating and the room was more accessible than most we've seen. We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2004
9 Thank asm775
Reviewed May 9, 2005

Our room were in need of some much overdo rennovation, but it was clean.
The lobby is about the size of small livingroom, so if you're thinking of cushy sofas, chairs and a bar....forget about it. I agree with the street noise we were on the 3rd floor and these trucks parked outside the restaurant with their engines running for hours I guess unloading supplies. The staff was friendly. Overall, I wouldn't stay there again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Reviewed May 8, 2005

One of the worst hotel experiences I've had. The walls are super thin, you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the hallway and the rooms next to you. The maids were loud in the morning, slamming doors and yelling at each other down the hall. We weren't able to sleep the 3 nights we were there. There was no way to fix the temperature ourselves in the room. The only good thing I can say is that despite the room being old and in dire need of refurbishment, it was in a great location, the room was clean (but it LOOKED dirty) and the staff very friendly. You get HBO!!!! Also, a lot of student groups stay here....I guess it's decent if you are so tired from sightseeing that you are able to sleep through all the noise that goes on.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed May 7, 2005

Enjoyed my stay last week in Hotel Harrington, has great service, they gave me whatever I needed even though I was there with a big group
they are located just blocks from all the major tourist attractions and their prices are the lowest you'll find in that area. They have alot of different options in the sizing of the rooms. They even let my group and some friends staying somewhere else store our baggage the whole day after I checked out (my train was at night). Would recomend to anyone looking for a good hotel at a cheap price. Only problem you might have something broken, but I'm sure the great staff will be happy to help you

6 Thank no
Frisco, Colorado
Reviewed May 2, 2005

Affordable hotels near The Mall are hard to find. Hotel Harrington is 2 blocks from The Mall and near restaurants and Chinatown....A bit shabby around the edges(I've never seen a carpet so thin), but clean and well enough appointed. We had a Delux Family Room, 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 tv's and a fridge. Perfect for adult couples, couples with kids or an adult with senior citizen parents. Don't expect designer shampoos, but the towels are thick and the staff is pleasant. There is an adjoining buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch and the Bar next door has the BEST burgers...sit outside to avoid deafness from the 9 tv's set to sports and the lousy music. Somehow, the staff keeps the groups of school kids separate from the rest of the hotel guests and this is appreciated...there is wifi in the lobby and in the buffet restarant, but you might need to sit on the floor.

7 Thank theflyingcrane
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 28, 2005

My teenage son and I stayed at the Harrington for five days in March 2005. I had read several reviews on TripAdvisor so I thought I knew what to expect. The Harrington ended up being a complete paradox.
The location could not have been more perfect both in proximity to all of the museums, monuments, etc., and to the subway and bus systems. It was nice not having to spend a lot of time getting where we wanted to be because we were right there. The cost of the room was a plus - with a coupon we paid $89.90 per night.
The bad news is the hotel itself was probably the most rundown place I have personally ever been. Everything was just dirty and broken down. Peeling paint, stained toilets and tubs, holes in bed linens, filthy carpets. The maids seemed to be doing the best they could, but it would be difficult to make that place look clean without totally remodeling it, which is what it really needs.
My son loved the hotel because he doesn't care about cleanliness and also because there were busloads of other teenagers staying there (they appeared to be school groups.)
Overall, the Harrington is definitely a mixed bag.

6 Thank AmazingRaceFan