“Location won me over!”

Ranked #118 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Waycross, Georgia
“Location won me over!”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Don't go here expecting 5 star accommodations. The rooms are small and the pillows are terrible. However the location is great! I had no problems sleeping after a long day of exploring DC. The hotel staff could definitely use some personality. However the employees in the lobby gift shop were nice and friendly. I would stay here again simply for the location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mom0306

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2014

People shouldn't give bad reviews to a hoteI just because it's older than most and its first year of operation was 1914! They can only spend so much on renovation. IT'S AN OLD HOTEL- NOT a SPARKLY SHINY NEW ONE!!! But has much more character and hominess than newer ones! found the Harrington several years ago and stayed there w/my sister and friend. Although there was only 3 of us- they opened up the door to room next to ours- and gave us BOTH rooms for ONE price! It was great- we had 4 double beds AND 2 bathrooms! So much room! These other people- An Ankenyhamster- who complained about no shampoo/conditioner- Are you serious!? who goes to a hotel without any personal hygiene products?! And then complained "no flat screen t.v!" Come on!! Do you really go to D.C to stay @ a hotel and watch t.v!! Stay at home with your lovely flat screen OR bring it WITH YOU!! And also, someone said they had no coffee pot. We had a lovely one complete with everything we needed for tea/coffee. I'm sure if you'd called them- they'd have brought you one. They are very accommodating. I LOVE the Harrington. I go to D.C every other year and always stay there. It wouldn't be D.C without the Harrington. It is so close and convenient to ALL the main museums, mall, etc. It's in the heart of D.C. The Harrington IS older than all these new shiny, swanky hotels- but i think thats what makes it so charming and homey. It has a retro feel to it- but in a good way. PLUS- everyone is very friendly there- a quality that is becoming rarer quickly!
THANK YOU HARRINGTON!! See you this summer!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank 21ANGIECT
coniOtto, Manager at Hotel Harrington, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you so much for such a great review, we always try to go above and beyond for our customers and glad we made your stay a great one. We serve thousands of people every year and we love hearing how well we do. Thanks again and stop by and say hello when you come back.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Chose this based on budget & location. Hotels in DC are $$$$, and if you go too far out of DC, you spend all your time waiting for trains and busses. Took my 7th-grader. There are plusses & minuses and depends on what matters to you. Us? A clean decent affordable place to simply rest our head in a good location so we wouldn't spend our time trying to get everywhere. Pictures can't prepare you for how small rooms are. No amenities other than bars of soap. Yes, rooms are run down. Example: no exhaust fan in bathroom, so door is completely warped and splintered along the bottom. But run-down doesn't mean dirty/gross, the rooms are clean. Just old. Closet only 12-inches deep. Walls paper-thin - it's a 100-yr old building (heard someone getting sick at 3am as if he was in my bathroom). Furniture old. This is bare-bones. Parking lot for them is 5 blocks away but cheaper than any other. Park car, unload baggage, move car to garage. Not a big deal. PLUSSES: 5 blks from WH, 3 blks from Smithsonian. Close by Ford's Theatre, Hard Rock Cafe, Starbucks catty-corner. Couple blocks: McDonalds, Subway, Jimmy John's, Qdoba, Potbelly's, TJ Maxx (if you need forgotten clothing) BIGGEST PLUS: 1 1/2 blks from Metro Center Station with all Metro lines. You can get to everything in minutes without having to transfer to another rail line, which is what allowed us to do everything on our list in 2 1/2 days.
Safe neighborhood, mostly business people walking around. Never felt the least bit nervous even after dark.
Basically, if you can prepare yourself that this isn't the Marriott and you are only there to sleep, it's a good fit. We left at 8am and came back at 9pm. Bring earplugs - seems to be a hotel of choice for school groups. A corner room is more quiet, but also even smaller. Do NOT get a room by the elevators. Would I have preferred more luxury, sure. Willing to spend twice as much for it? No.

Room Tip: Corner rooms more quiet, but even smaller. Don't get a room by elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank SCinci
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had a conference in D.C. and needed to be within walking distance to the center. The best price I could find for a hotel was $350/night. Then I found Hotel Harrington for only $175. Which I thought was still steep, but considering how much lower it was then all the nearby hotels, I figured it must not be very nice.

I didn't have high expectations but I WAS concerned I'd be kept up all night by noisy student groups. I wasn't! Though my room was close to an elevator so I could hear the "ding" all night as it stopped on my floor.

The windows are filthy, the tube TV doesn't work, no electrical outlet in the bathroom, the room is very dark - I could go on. But it was comfortable enough, I wasn't spending much time there anyway and the staff was friendly/helpful. Considering the location and the price compared to other places, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a street-facing room
1 Thank Coralwren
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Chose this hotel because it's close to my conference site, the Reagan Building. It's also within 10-20 minutes walk to White House and the Lincoln Memorial. The food in the hotel restaurant is also OK, though the hotel lobby is really smelly. But my hotel room itself is unbearable.

My room of $183/per night, single occupant on the 5th floor is small, dirty, with limited amenities (no shampoo, no conditioner, no coffee maker, no tissue box). A twin-size bed with super-thin sheets. and there is no flat panel TV. The bath room is so small that you would feel you didn't have elbow room. Besides, its bathroom door is broken, so it had to be left open all the time. The room is not air-conditioned, the closet is narrow, and dark-brown, like blood stains on the bathtub. My best advice is that if you have a short stay and want to see the mall area this hotel might be acceptable. Otherwise, stay away from it.

3 Thank Will Z

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

New Palestine, Indiana, United States
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My stay at the Hotel Harrington was for the National Bike Summit conference. Three of us shared a room and the accommodations were perfect for our group. We booked one of the rooms which will accommodate 4-5 guests with three separate bathrooms. Perfect for ladies traveling together. The staff was very helpful, although very busy. We happened to stay during their 100 year anniversary celebration. We arrived too late to get any cake though!
The bar/restaurant on property has a variety of items on the menu, and is one of the only restaurants in the area open through the wee hours of the morning.
Thanks again for a great experience!

Room Tip: To make certain you get the exact room your looking for, I'd recommend making a reservation with...
York, PA
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This hotel is in great need of repair and update. We were so turned off we checked out the evening we arrived. The room was not that clean and was in disrepair: towel bars falling out of the wall, etc. However, the location is really great. It is close to lots of great DC sights.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends