“Hotel Harrington”
Review of Hotel Harrington

Hotel Harrington
Ranked #123 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were on a road trip on the east coast of America and we pre booked the hotel.
This was a great hotel with plenty of character, the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is situated close to all the main attractions which were within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Peter C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,401)

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I had a month to plan an upcoming DOT conference business trip and googled hotels near the conference location. After finding Hotel Harrington, I checked out their website and saw their short YouTube video that showed their Hotel Managing Director, Ann Terry, speak about the hotel, their location, their rooms and their rates. I thought this was a great hotel until I showed up at its front doors.

When I arrived at the hotel, I walked through the first set of doors which were automatic. The second set of doors was not. I had to quickly maneuver opening the heavy door and quickly get through before it closing on me. While doing this, two individuals behind the counter just stared at me.

As I walked into the hotel lobby, I was hit with a pungent smell. It was very overwhelming! When I approached the front desk, a women was resting her chin on her hands propped up with her elbows on the counter. At first, I thought she was waiting for me to speak until I realized that she was sleeping! I excused myself and went over to the next person behind the desk. When I pointed out that his co-worker was sleeping his comments were, “Yeah, she does that. How can I help you?” I was taken aback.

The gentlemen assisted me with check in and gave me directions to my room. The hallway was eerie not to mention all the décor looked like it was from the 1800’s. As I entered into the elevator, there was a poorly written sign with blatant grammatical errors that stated there will be no running water the following morning. That didn’t sit well with me as it would be a great challenge to get ready for a conference meeting first thing in the morning. The elevator was creepy and smelled like a grease trap. I was happy when the doors opened.

As I entered my room, I was alarmed to find 3 deadbolt locks and a large sign that said to lock ALL locks at all times when in your room. The room itself was creepy. There were only 2 dim lamps to light the room, so I turned and left on the bathroom light for additional lighting. There was no closet for me to hang any of my work clothes, but a stand-alone coat rack that had 5 plastic hangers; no iron, but a blow dryer that was lying on the floor at the foot of the bed like someone threw it there from standing at the door and no electric plugs in the bathroom. I needed to charge my phone so I looked for other outlets in the room and found that the only outlets available were being used for the lamps. I had to unplug a lamp to plug in my cord, to which immediately feel out of the socket! I had to prop the small waste basket against the plug to stay in.

I had just about enough of the room within the first hour of being there, but since it was late, there wasn’t an option for me to change hotels as I had no idea where I could go at that time of the evening. As I got ready for a shower, I noticed that there were noises coming from the large vent on the side of the wall above the toilet. Imagine a scary movie with those vents in which you see hands coming from it and eyes that appear- Yup! That would be the same vent that was in the bathroom. I tried not to think about it and took the quickest shower I could! It would have been faster if the showerhead pipes weren’t protruding out of the wall and shook when the water was running.

The room was stuffy and I couldn’t get the air to turn on. After calling the front desk, the associate who answered said, “Why are you hot? We turn it off during winter since it’s already cold outside. If not open your window.” I couldn’t help but think that I need to move hotels. I got a hold of my admin assistant back in Honolulu and advised her that I was going to find another hotel. Luckily another co-worker mentioned the Comfort Inn. While it was a few blocks away from where I wanted to be, it was cleaner and safer than my current location.

I requested to check out as I was moving to another hotel. The man behind the counter left and had me wait for 10 minutes while he chatted with his friend and went to get a drink from the adjoining restaurant. He flung my receipt at me to which I had to pick up from the ground.
Needless to say, I’ve reported back to my company to remove this hotel from our internal list of places to stay in DCA.

Room Tip: The Hotel Harrington's website depicts a hotel that is not present to what you'll see and ex...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
23  Thank Kristen F
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Let me start this off by saying that I did my homework, and read the reviews on line, so I wasn't expecting a five star hotel. You walk in the front door, and there is a smell that hits you like a ton of bricks. Don't know where it is coming from, but it just lingers in the lobby. We then went to our room on the 11th floor, and it was in dire need of paint, and smelled really musty. There are no two outlets in the room, with all the plugs being used. I wanted to charge my phone, so I had to take out the plug for the lamp. I plugged my charger in, and the thing fell out. Really!? I wanted to turn the heat down, but there are not directions, and when I asked the front desk if there was a/c, he said to open the window. It was 18 degrees outside, I am not going to leave the window open all night while I sleep. Like I said, I wasn't expecting the Ritz, and the location of the hotel is perfect for those that want to see Washington DC.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
8  Thank Kdub808
Reviewed February 10, 2014

It's old, 100 this year and yes, it shows. A little rough around the edges, but while we were there they were painting the lobby. It's old, but it is clean. The rooms are small, but functional.
The staff are absolutely wonderful, they are extremely friendly and helpful. We arrived very early and they were able to have a room ready for us.
I must echo the other reviews, the best price for the the best location. Safe short walks to everything you need to see in DC. The place has an odd charm.
Want some fun? Spend a Friday night in Harry's Bar.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JazboOttawa
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed overnight for a visit to Ford's theater. The weather was extremely cold, and fortunately, we booked a hotel within easy walking distance of the theater and our restaurant. The room was tight, but clean. The property could use some updating. Our room was a little cold. The HVAC is outdated with strange controls in the room. Proximity to the theater and dining/breakfast were a big plus. Lobby appears to be at the start of a renovation. The location seems very secure and well lighted. It is a short cab ride to Union Station or the Capitol. We did not try the hotel eatery.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FredL757
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We have just returned from a school trip staying at Hotel Harrington. As with many of the other comments on here it could do with a lick of paint, it is a little run down compared to some other hotels however it is value for money when you are bringing a group. There are a mix of rooms from twins to rooms that will sleep 4 even 5 and they have plenty of space. A substantial buffet breakfast is served we also had a meal one evening - again plenty of food and the students enjoyed it. The staff are incredibly friendly and it was great to have a gift shop on site.

The location is very central and you can walk easily to the memorials, to the capitol building, the White House etc. There is also free wifi in the hotel - great for the students to keep in contact with those at home.

Room Tip: We were based on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank KKRE0538
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is not a luxury hotel so if that's what you want, keep looking. I don’t care what the others say because to me it’s about location, location, location! This is the only place we stay when we visit DC. It looks old and outdated, but it’s well maintained and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

I'm surprised by all the negative reviews ... when you pay half of the amount that the hotels surrounding this one charge you shouldn't expect a luxury hotel or hold it to the same standards.

You can get a room at a chain hotel in the burbs for the same price and have a nicer room, but then you would have to commute in the DC traffic … and then find a place to leave your car.

If you want convenience you will not be disappointed, it’s a short walk to all monuments, museums and the subway.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family