“Still love this hotel”

Ranked #120 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New Palestine, Indiana, United States
“Still love this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've stayed at the Harrington Hotel twice now. During my most recent stay (March 2013), the front desk staff really exceeded my expectations on check in and check out. This hotel is a great value in a great location.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a room to sleep 4/5 - be sure to call and specify the exact number of beds yo...
2 Thank Nancy W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Plainfield, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Cheap, dirty, ancient and loud. Less like a hotel room and more like sleeping on the bed of a friend who is very poor. Ancient sketchy radiator. No bathroom toiletries. Oldest tile I've ever seen in the bathroom. Bathroom door has been painted a thousand times and is chipping away. I expected this type of hotel going in though, so I got what I expected. Great location, however, and everyone was very nice -- they let me check in at 10 a.m. because there was a room ready. As a solo traveler I felt pretty safe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lisa W
Fredericktown
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The location of the Harrington Hotel is fantastic, but that is the only real memorable quality of this place. The hotel is dated, but not in a quaint way; also, on a couple of levels the place is a bit ran down. The wallpaper was peeling, paint faded, baseboards dirty, and there was sort of dingy feel about the entire building. I did not feel the Harrington Hotel was worth the money, and would rather have paid more to stay someplace better. If you are looking to be near many of the sites in Washington this is a great location, but there are other hotels that are close too. I was in town for a conference and felt the rate of the conference hotel was too high. In hide sight it would have been better to pay the extra money.

Even though the hotel was less than stellar the attached restaurant, Harry's, was very good. On Tuesday, their Soup of the Day is corn and clam chowder. This was one of the top 5 chowders I have ever had, and even if I never stay at the Harrington again, I will hopefully return to Harry's for the chowder.

4 Thank paulinmo

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Husband stayed previously, my first stay. Price was right for such a great location to walk to most Museums and Federal buildings, like Capitol, White House, National Gallery of Art, and most Smithsonian Museums or take Metro to other sites of interest. Old historic building, but room and bath clean, not "plush" but cell and wireless data worked fine. Very friendly staff, mostly long time employees. Provided a great local restaurant list-lots of variety and metro and street map. Even mailed my favorite sweaters left in a drawer within a few days of return. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzan R
High Point, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was disappointed when I saw my room. My arrangements were made by someone else and I hadn't bothered to look up the hotel reviews...not sure that would have made a difference anyway. But my room was icky. The decor was cheap and old. There were two chairs in the room but I couldn't bring myself to sit in either. I wondered how I was going to sleep in the bed. The staff seemed kind and competent but I was uncomfortable in that room...I just kept thinking negative thoughts which I will not write here. I called the folks who made the arrangements and was so thankful that they were able to relocate me to another hotel. So my stay lasted about 15 minutes. It may be fine for some people who won't be in the room very long. But since I was feeling under the weather, I planned to stay in my room resting the first day. My second day I would take care of the business that brought me to town. I just couldn’t stay there. :-( There is nothing the staff could have done differently. The owner simply needs to fork over the money for serious renovations. On the upside, the rate was low and the location excellent.

1 Thank Dustywater
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've stayed here four times now and the one thing I can never seem to ignore is the noise - this place caters to groups of young people and they're never quiet, either making noise in their rooms or in the halls...the location can't be beat, right in the middle of Washington, but the run down rooms, fuzzy TV picture, slow wifi, hit or miss bathtubs, surly desk staff and views of brick walls aren't really worth what it costs to stay here at times...will look at other options for my next trip to DC.

Room Tip: small rooms have no view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I travelled here last March for a school trip with students between the ages of 16 - 19. It's everything you can expect for a hotel that caters for students. The rooms were comfortable, spacious and good to rest your head.

Location was good, it was near a FANTASTIC cafe (Lincoln's Waffle Shop) where we had breakfast every morning - if not you could have breakfast inside the hotel, but it wasn't as good as this!

Yes it needed a bit of TLC and it is definitely not recommended for someone looking for something a bit more upmarket and romantic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends