“Great Value, Great Location, Friendly Service”
Review of Hotel Harrington

Hotel Harrington
Ranked #120 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Husband stayed previously, my first stay. Price was right for such a great location to walk to most Museums and Federal buildings, like Capitol, White House, National Gallery of Art, and most Smithsonian Museums or take Metro to other sites of interest. Old historic building, but room and bath clean, not "plush" but cell and wireless data worked fine. Very friendly staff, mostly long time employees. Provided a great local restaurant list-lots of variety and metro and street map. Even mailed my favorite sweaters left in a drawer within a few days of return. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzan R
There are newer reviews for Hotel Harrington

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was disappointed when I saw my room. My arrangements were made by someone else and I hadn't bothered to look up the hotel reviews...not sure that would have made a difference anyway. But my room was icky. The decor was cheap and old. There were two chairs in the room but I couldn't bring myself to sit in either. I wondered how I was going to sleep in the bed. The staff seemed kind and competent but I was uncomfortable in that room...I just kept thinking negative thoughts which I will not write here. I called the folks who made the arrangements and was so thankful that they were able to relocate me to another hotel. So my stay lasted about 15 minutes. It may be fine for some people who won't be in the room very long. But since I was feeling under the weather, I planned to stay in my room resting the first day. My second day I would take care of the business that brought me to town. I just couldn’t stay there. :-( There is nothing the staff could have done differently. The owner simply needs to fork over the money for serious renovations. On the upside, the rate was low and the location excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dustywater
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've stayed here four times now and the one thing I can never seem to ignore is the noise - this place caters to groups of young people and they're never quiet, either making noise in their rooms or in the halls...the location can't be beat, right in the middle of Washington, but the run down rooms, fuzzy TV picture, slow wifi, hit or miss bathtubs, surly desk staff and views of brick walls aren't really worth what it costs to stay here at times...will look at other options for my next trip to DC.

Room Tip: small rooms have no view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I travelled here last March for a school trip with students between the ages of 16 - 19. It's everything you can expect for a hotel that caters for students. The rooms were comfortable, spacious and good to rest your head.

Location was good, it was near a FANTASTIC cafe (Lincoln's Waffle Shop) where we had breakfast every morning - if not you could have breakfast inside the hotel, but it wasn't as good as this!

Yes it needed a bit of TLC and it is definitely not recommended for someone looking for something a bit more upmarket and romantic.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I'll mirror the other reviewers sentiments. Very friendly staff. Courteous, Attentive.

I can only base my review on the room I had. Room 828 a Queen bed. Room was tired, in serious need of rehab. Radiator covers dirty and needing paint. Closet was 6 inches deep, paint old and yellowed, Pillows thin and flat, linens hard and scratchy. Mattress, low end. Paint chipped all around door frame of closet. Bathroom appears to have been updated within the last couple of years. Ceiling conduit and vent appeared filthy. It's a great old building. Lots of History but the old girl needs a hand. On the plus side, there was a free wifi! But the room was quite dated. I haven't seen a TV that wasn't a flat screen in 5 years but they had an old one, picture quality poor. Bring your own shampoo, conditioner, etc. No little bottles of anything.

If I was coming in town for a concert and on a college student budget, this could work. But for a business trip, no way.

Room Tip: Don't take 828!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dddmax
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I would first like to say that the Hotel Harrington has the FRIENDLIEST staff I have ever experienced in all my travels. My mother always stays here, and this was my first time. We met up in DC and the staff remembered my mother from her previous visits. She departed before I did and they asked me if she made it home safely. Cannot say enough about this fantastic staff!! This is a low frills hotel; you get a bed, dresser, TV and a bathroom. Not once did I feel unsafe, or question the quality of this hotel. Easy access to Metro, Mall and the Trolley tour pick up. DC is such an amazing city you shouldn't spend all your time in your hotel anyway!

Room Tip: Rooms to the interior are quiet, and still have windows!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed in the Harrington in November 2010, and for what it was needed for it fitted the bill perfectly. I had a 2 person room that I shared with a course-mate of mine, as we were with a local sixth form on a Politics trip studying US Politics.

It's a short walk to the Capitol building, and an even shorter one to the White House so it really was an ideal place to stay for our party of about 40-50 local sixth-form students. The breakfast was pretty basic, as were the way the rooms were furnished, but a small TV for the evening really is the only thing we needed as we we were out most of the days we were there.

if you're looking for a basic, city centre hotel then you really can't look further than the Harrington. Staff were friendly, location was perfect, and from what we payed our college for the trip, the accommodation costs really weren't that much at all considering the location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business