“Beautiful lobby, average rooms, terrible pool, expensive”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #72 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 28, 2010

This hotel had a very beautiful lobby but therooms were just average. They were very expensive. The pool was very small and you had to have reservations for the pool. The buffet breakfast was okay but nothing special. The parking was $60 a night which was outrageous. It was conveniently located to Mall, museums, Metro.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank gtsherma
Write a ReviewReviews (5,003)

Reviewed July 28, 2010

Excellent location for visiting the museums. Great restaurants nearby especially Georgia Brown's and Clyde's. The hotel concierges were very helpful. Check in a breeze. Rooms nice especially the ones with king size beds. The rooms with 2 doubles seemed tight. Starbucks and mini cafeteria bar efficient and good prices for the area. Extra costs for internet services, gym, parking, business office.

1  Thank HB2KnoxvilleTN
Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt July 16-18 this past weekend. I received a wonderful deal of $109/night through Washington.org. I don't think one can get a better deal for this type of hotel, especially since I got it just two days before going. After thinking about it a little, I called the main Hyatt # and asked about upgrading to the club floor to see if it was worth it. We paid $389 for two nights for a very clean, comfortable room at the very top of the atrium with access to the Club Lounge. This included daily breakfast of tasty muffins, salmon, lox and bagels, fruit and cereal, toast and cheese, a variety of grilled vegetables, cheese and crackers in the evening, and dessert after dinner. Drinks were an additional cost which I thought might have been included, but it didn't bother me at all. Access to the fitness center was also included. Wi-fi only rarely existed in the rooms (I think you had to pay extra to receive that service), but was available in the Club Lounge.
We were greeted by Ryan Norton, our hospitality host upon arrival. We had been walking out in the 96 degree heat for several hours, and I'm sure that we were a sight. My three year-old and twelve year old discovered the beautiful lounge area downstairs with a large pool/fountain area. My three year-old immediately wanted to throw in pennies to make a wish. I gave her the one penny that I had, but Ryan quickly looked into his drawer to locate more pennies with which for her to make wishes! I was pleasantly surprised. Nice touch!
Well, the next day after returning from an equally sweaty adventure at the Mall area (15 minute walk to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum at quick pace), we were greeted by two TALL stacks of wrapped cookies and a cooler with milk! Attached was a note saying "I hope all of our fountain wishes come true for you at the Hyatt!". I thought that was a wonderfully considerate and personal touch that I haven't received at any hotel. The staff inside the club lounge were very friendly and hospitable as well.
Small pool, but welcome after the heat.
Kid-friendly...had a 'Dive-In Movie in the lower level by the pool/fountain area with free popcorn and viewing of Wall-E.
4 blocks from Chinatown. Great dim sum on second floor of Tony Chengs on H and 6th street. I did lose my cell phone around that area, so keep valuables in purse and not hanging in your pocket like I did.
Wonderful stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank toomuchsnowhere
Reviewed July 19, 2010

When we checked in the service, manager was so rude. I guess thats why they had 4 new people training. The front desk manager was yelling at the staff . Cheryl Thorn. Then we were swimming and there was rust in the pool. So, that ended that exercise. When I complained the hotel GM took the strong arm approach. Mr Amato ignored our request for an apology. We travel all over the world with starwood and Hyatt and have never experienced such disgusting service. Shame on the hotel management. But as the club floor maid told us"if your not a CEO the hotel doesnt care. Here in NYC that is not an acceptable answer.
Godspeed

1  Thank greenestmarket
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I accompanied a friend who was the coach for one of the contestants in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in June 2010, and we both enjoyed the location and amenities at the Grand Hyatt. Many hotels advertise their "closeness" to certain attractions, but I am no marathoner, and I still managed to walk to the Mall or the White House each day. You can reach the Metro from the hotel lobby, which makes the location even more attractive. The breakfast buffet is expensive, but extensive; we ate it once, and then grabbed breakfast at the dinette beside Starbucks another morning. I had a delicious, reasonably priced lunch in the atrium cafe, and we enjoyed the bar, Cure, for its drinks and ambience on two occasions. I believe all the complaints about the elevator service to be unrealistic, what do people expect when thousands of people pour out of a venue at one time? The majority of the time, we had no wait at all for an elevator. When we saw that it was crowded, we browsed through the hotel gift shop. Our room was clean, beds were comfortable, and as we had an inside room, we had no street noise. The staff was friendly and helpful; I would definitely stay there again. I am disappointed that Scripps will be moving the National Spelling Bee from the Washington, DC location to a large hotel in Baltimore. Many of these kids make the trip to the nation's capital for the first time, and next year I wonder how many of them will see all the historic buildings and museums they were able to visit in D.C.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank wowgirl3
Reviewed July 17, 2010

From the minute I stepped into the lobby at the Grand Hyatt, the service was exceptional. I arrived at 9AM and was pressed for time to get to a business meeteing. Jay took care of my registration in 2 minutes, took my luggage, and assured me he'd take care of getting my bags to my room when it was ready. I got to my meeting on time. Jay called me 2 hours later to confirm my luggage was in my room. He also checked the internet connection because I'd mentioned that was a priority for me. His expert customer service made me a fan.

Reviewed July 15, 2010

On the last day of my stay for a convention, housekeeping took items out of my room. Please beware of your items if you decide to stay here. Because I certainly wouldn't want anyone to experience what I did during my stay. I will NOT recommend this Hotel.