“5 star hotel for a cheap price”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #72 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Prince George, Virginia
“5 star hotel for a cheap price”
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Really close to all washington attractions. 5 blocks from the white house and 7 to 8 blocks from the national mall and washington monument.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2010

The service here is woeful. When we fist pulled up the valet almost jumped into our car through the window he was so pushy. After a long drive they didn't even give us a second to get our heads together. They don't wear uniforms so we were quite taken aback and had no idea who the man was trying to get into our car. The doorman was obnoxious and rude. The desk staff still couldn't get my name right after 4 attempts. No one was familiar with the area and it was Washington D.C.!!! When passing the valets later in the evening they could be heard clearly telling rude jokes to each other as they hung out the front of what was supposed to be a rather prestigious establishment. Our first morning there they were doing construction on the floor above, which we were not informed about. When we went to complain we were interrupted mid sentence by the concierge who had to answer the phone and he promptly turned his back on us. This is how we were dismissed. We were not informed about the restrictions that would be imposed on us as guests because of the New Years Eve celebrations that were being conducted within the hotel despite the premium we paid to stay there the night. Just getting up to our floor was a nightmare. The list goes on. They charged premium for absolutely everything. Only stay at this hotel if you can get it dirt cheap, do not talk to any of the staff and keep your expectations incredibly low. The only upside was it's fabulous location. Don't ask for directions. We asked where the Lincoln Memorial was, after careful consideration the doorman advised us to get a taxi because it was too far. He had no idea. Luckily we ignored his advise and walked. We have stayed in two star hotels that have delivered far superior service. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
hawaii
Reviewed January 9, 2010

As other reviewers have commented, this Hyatt is very disappointing, but perhaps worth staying there if you can get a very cheap rate. I had a weekend rate of $79/night. Hotel room was very dirty although I didn't notice the extent of it at first due to the dimness of the light. When the curtain was open the next day, it was obvious they rarely vacuumed and certainly not along the baseboards or base of the bed. There was plastic rubbish, dust bunnies, etc in plain site. All the furniture was dusty. When I called to politely complain, the manager was helpful and apologetic, and gave me a free amenity, which was nice, but surprising how poor the cleaning was. Also, construction was still going on and they started drilling and banging away at 8 AM. When I called to ask what the heck was going on, I was told, "we always start at 8". What kind of hotel starts major interior construction at 8 AM? Apparently this has been going on for some time (see the other reviews). Also, this hotel does nickle and dime you to death for every little thing. I had a very small package mailed to me there and they tried to charge me $20 for handling it. Also, after I checked out, some mystery charges appeared on my credit card statement, so now I am having to investigatge this.Fitness room, internet ,etc, all by fee. On the bright side, this hotel is located on top of a metro station, but since there are at least six major chain hotels located within 2 blocks of the same metro stop, this isn't a huge advantate. Also, there is no security in this hotel so people can walk straight from the metro stop to the elevators that go to the hotel. Two friends of mine did this and no one thought to ask them what they were doing. Overall, just a poorly managed hotel with little consideration for guests. I wouldn't stay here again given the dozens of hotels nearby.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Brisbane, Queensland
Reviewed January 9, 2010

This hotel was average in my opinion - not great but not terrible either - just average.

When we booked this hotel we thought it was odd that it was so cheap for a Grand Hyatt at Xmas time (USD$99/night). We still think it was pretty good value (I have stayed in much worse for that price) but it just didn'tt stand out in any way.

We were given an atrium view room on the second floor and the walk from the lift to our room took about 5 mins to walk each time - way too far. The room was ok but I felt a bit claustraphobic without a windown to look out of. Not very private either and you had to have your curtains closed all the time otherwise people could see in from the atrium.

The bathroom was not very clean but again, for the price, it was adequate.

The buffet breakfast was terrible - the food was the worst buffet breakfast I have ever had but for US$10pp I guess you get what you pay for,

Customer Service - average, nothing outstanding to write home about, they did their job but that was about it - no one went above and beyond in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I was dissapointed with our stay. The lobby atrium and chandeliers were tacky and outdated (though my son thought it was beautiful). There was always a long wait for an elevator, going up or coming down. The staff could care less about you, no warmth or care. The bedroom and bathroom decor was nice, I will say that. The t.v. was huge. Overall, everything was clean. However, the bathroom was very dark and we had no hot water. Warm water, but never could get it hot. I tried to take a bubble bath but it was uncomfortable due to the water temperature. There were only 2 wash clothes and 3 towels for our family of 4. When you go to their pool (which is tiny) you have to leave the hotel and walk towards their parking garage/metro area. They do not let you take towels from the pool area back to your room. However, my kids didn't mind all that and LOVED swimming in the pool, which I have to say was nice and warm. I swam into a big chunk of floating hair though....not a great thing, totally grossed me out. So, overall it was o.k., but honestly, I would never have thought it was up to standards I associate with the Hyatt chain of hotels.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Miami
Reviewed January 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Dec 20th-23rd. With two feet of snow on the ground, we were grateful for immediate access to the Metro and the proximity of the hotel to various tourist attractions. We paid $159/night and stayed on the 12th floor (Grand Club Room). The continental breakfast, coffee, and afternoon appetizers were worth it for us. Especially coming back inside from the cold in late afternoon! The room, bathroom and hospitality room were all very nice.

On the downside, we had a connecting room and could hear talking/TV/kids yelling next door well into the night. Also, the hotel tried to charge us over $40 for alleged mini-bar purchases we never made. They removed the charge and the front desk was helpful fortunately. We left the mini-bar key in our room throughout our stay. I recommend keeping the key on you or in the safe while you are out.

Overall, we had a great time and would likely stay at the Grand Hyatt again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed here for three nights.
Pros - staff give you a map of the Metro train system and Downtown area when you check in, which also gives indications on how long to walk to different attractions. A brilliant idea and incredibly helpful.
Hotel was clean and the lagoon area a fun gimmick to check out.
Lots of cable channels.
Toiletries were nice.
Location is the best - next to Chinatown, Megabus/Bolt bus stop and walk to every major attraction.
Starbucks in lobby.
Bed quite comfy.
Cons - major con - no free wi-fi and you have to pay $2.65 for five minutes for internet in business centre, and 60c per minute thereafter. I can't believe that where most hotels, even cheap ones, offer free wi-fi and ALL hotels offer free internet terminals, Grand Hyatt clearly pitches to business customers ONLY and offers no free internet. Very disappointing.
Minibar locked when you check in, have to get a key.
Draw your curtains, folks - everyone from the hotel can see into your room!
Hotels has massive 80's vibe - some eating areas, etc have clearly never been renovated since the hotel started up - but some could see this as a plus!
Cost during the week for rooms.

So, in a nutshell - we managed to get an incredible weekend deal so that made the stay more than worth it for the location. Otherwise, the weekday rate - I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple