“$14/day for fitness center access”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #72 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 27, 2006

Best feature: location, location, location - Contrary to previous reports I've read stating that the location of this hotel is not ideal, I think the location is actually the best thing about it. Adjacent to Metro Center and Hechts (convenient for any needed items overlooked during rushed packing jobs) and a short walk to the mall, Convention Center, MCI Center and many restaurants on 7th St open on weekends.

Worst feature (and for me, a dealbreaker): Guests and Gold Passport members still have to pay $14 to use fitness center, unless they're upgraded to Regency Club. If the hotel is sold out (as is often the case during the week due to proximity of convention center), and I check in late, chances of me getting upgraded? Unlikely. I know that other hotels in DC charge for health club access, but I believe that even the lowest rank of status gets you free fitness club access (ie: Capital Hilton), and some hotels (gasp) charge nothing! Considering the fact that most of the hotels are well over 200/night, to me it seems excessive to be charging for fitness club access anyway.. If I'm staying in a hotel all week, I really don't want to be paying $14/day for exercise room use on top of the room rate, and am much less likely to use it if I have to pay this each day. I guess it's one way for the hotel to reduce maintenance costs on their exercise equipment. Is it a plot to keep their guests fat and unhealthy?

Either way, if you like to use the exercise room (and in winter when it's freezing outside, and jogging is less desirable), I'd give a pass on this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank voll002

Reviewed January 22, 2006

My sister, niece and I spent 5 nights for business and pleasure. We had a group rate. The room we had was very clean and looked newly remodeled as there was no mold in the bathroom or bad smells. Clean towels, room and amenities every day. It is a good location to all tourist activites with the metro. Everyone in the hotel was extremely kind and helpful. As typical of hotels, the room service fees were expensive. I would definately return to this Hyatt hotel in DC with a reasonable rate.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank judyf
A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
Reviewed January 14, 2006

This hotel is in a great location - easy to walk to a lot of different places and a Metro stop is under the hotel. I stayed at this hotel for four nights, partially for business, partially for pleasure. Check-in - on a slow Friday afternoon - took over 45 minutes. Two separate people in line in front of us had email confirmations for their rooms, but their reservations were not in the hotel system. The hotel was full and the staff and management were treating the customers very poorly. Not a good first impression...

The first room we got smelled terrible - like the housekeeping staff was attempting to cover up a bad smell with terrible deoderizer. We were given a different room (another 30 minutes in line at the front desk), but it was missing a mini-bar and was not very clean. We called the management repeatedly to rectify situation. Although a missing mini-bar was not the end of the world, three different managers promised that they would bring up a basket of snacks and juices, but the situation was not rectified until the last day. My traveling companion's suitcase was disturbed while we were gone - good thing we did not leave any valuables in the room. The heating/cooling system only seemed to work at the extremes - either way too hot or way too cold.

Overall, the hotel staff seemed to move in slow motion, especially if there was a line forming. They were not polite, and the management did not follow-up on any of their promises. For the nightly rate at this hotel, I expected a lot more and will never stay at this hotel again - even if my organization's convention returns to the hotel this year.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 1, 2006

My family of four stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Washington DC five nights. While we were generally pleased with the location, convenience, cost (booked through Travelocity), the hotel had a few problems. Our room had the lovely view of the hotel's atrium, however, there was no fresh air and the cooling system in our room never did cool our room below about 70 degrees F. The fan was very loud as well. We checked ahead of time to insure there was a pool available . One of our daughters needed to train because she is on her high school swim team. We knew there was a $7 to $14 charge to use the pool, but we were surprised to find the pool was quite small...really not a lap pool at all. The photos on the web site are misleading. The workout areas were also very warm and uncomfortable for serious work out.

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank rchowAlbuquerque_NM
Reviewed December 31, 2005

The hotel is very convenient for sightseeing. The metro is right under the hotel and the Smithsonian museums are a few blocks away. The buffet breakfast was nice and varied. The pool is fairly small and they charge $7 to use it. It was pretty crowded with kids, including ours. The rooms are decent sized and comfortable but we were near a soda machine and ice maker so we had alot of noise during the night. The staff were friendly and helpful but the concierge was not especially knowledgeable. Limited family dining options in the area and it does get pretty deserted after dark.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank ChiFamily
Reviewed December 31, 2005

Just stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 1 night at New Year's Eve. My husband and I live in the area, but didn't want to risk driving outside of DC after drinking, so we booked a room.

The parking lot is horrendous...we have a mid size car and the maneuvering was highly inconvenient. No idea what the SUVs do..Check in was quick and easy..the room was nice..about in line with what we expected. Same for the bathroom.

The beds were averagely comfortable. A little too soft.

My biggest dissatisfaction came from the extremely loud heater/air conditioner. The room was uncomfortably hot and when we turned down the termostat the A/C came on and never stopped the whole night. The room didn't get any cooler..but the A/C gave me a headache.

We liked the sports bar downstairs and most of all the atmosphere and location

Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank GizelleAnaji
Reviewed November 27, 2005

I visited D.C. this month and decided to stay at the Grand Hyatt due to it's central location.

Prices were reasonable, given it's central location. It's within walking distance of all major monuments and museums in D.C. One could also walk to Arlington Cemetery from the hotel. It took me approximately 1 hr to accomplish that.

Prices fluctuate between weekend and weekday rates. Do visit Hyatt.com to check rates.

Rooms are well furnished and of good size (I stayed in a single King bed room). Rooms were also well maintained.

• Stayed: November 2005