“GREAT LOCATION, Nice staff and very pretty ~ all at great price too!”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #70 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I just got back from my first visit to washington DC and by chance landed a fabulous hotel in my opinion. I went with friends but also celebrated a little romance per my 1 year wedding anniv fell while in DC . The hotel brought up complimentary champagne and a strawberry platter w/chocolate and nut dips for my spouse and me . It was very appreciated and made our night so special! Above that I was impressed with the deli downstairs next to the Starbucks - they had great warm breakfast for cheap! I ate here 3 of the 4 days I stayed in DC and had a bagel sandwich w/egg, bacon and cheese and a soda for around $6. The LOCATION WAS GREAT for us since we did not have a car nor opted to rent one...It's situated directly above the METRO station and made for very easy access! The hotel is close to dining (from $-$$$) and lots of shopping (including H&M, Chinatown, Hard Rock Cafe, etc )and is walking distance from the White House and other sight-seeing as well.
My only complaint is the shower drains - the water would reach ankle deep and seemed to be in need of a little TLC and more so, DRAINO. HaHa. In their defense, we never complained so could have been resolved I'm sure.
All in all, great hotel, great value and would def recommend and stay here again myself.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 10, 2009

just spoke up and had bed bug somewhere on my head, came jumping off onto countertop when I walked in bathroom and I took off my glasses - it took off and hid behind glasses case. After putting in my contact lenses and moving the case it took off behind mirror so I couldn't catch it to show staff. I had noticed a funky bug on the corner of mirror while working at the desk two nights ago and feared it may be a bed bug but chose to believe it was just a bug of some sorts. Had two bites on my leg yesterday that I chalked up to mosquito bites I must have gotten while golfing on Monday. Now I see this bug and had good look at it. Went I online and it's definitely a bed bug. I understand this isn't necessarily a reflection of this hotel's cleansiness but travelers whould be aware of this fact. Decent hotel otherwise even if it's a bit dated.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I just returned from DC on Monday, Sept. 7th after staying 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt Washington. This hotel was in a perfect location (right above the Metro Center Metro Stop), overall clean (the only problem is that we didn't think that our bathtub ever got rinsed out while we were there). I would say that my only real complaints were the drain in the shower was horrible. Water would be ankle deep while showering. I'm not sure if the drain needed to be cleaned or what. Also, the A/C didn't cool off like most hotels and was very loud. At night, we had it cut down to at least 62 degrees before it was at a cooler temp and it basically cuts on and off every 10 mins or so. The main areas, lobby, elevators were very well kept. We only ate at one place multiple times for breakfast and that was the little cafe next to Starbucks in the lobby. The breakfast was great and cheap too!! I had breakfast sandwiches and an egg platter while I was there. Of course, one day I got a coffee cake from Starbucks. I never bought anything at the 2 gift shops located in the lobby but there was one, where the associate was very rude. My friend and I wanted to know how much a red,white and blue platter was and she didn't get it down nor acted like she wanted to. All she asked was if we were going to buy? We finally just walked out. For the amount of time we stayed and the priced we paid, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Recently returned from a trip to Washington DC on Labor Day weekend and I wanted to say how much we enjoyed our stay at the Grand Hyatt. We arrived at 1:30am in the morning and we got our room right away. The staff was very helpful as to which exit to take on the Metro and with other directions. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The Zephyr Deli was a great place for breakfast. The prices were reasonable and the food was excellent. We were able to catch the LSU vs Washington game in the Grand Slam sports bar. The service at the bar was fast and very courteous. Having indoor access to Metro Center was a definite plus! We thou roughly enjoyed our stay at the Grand Hyatt and would highly recommend it to everyone. We will definitely stay here again when we return for another visit to DC. Thanks to the Grand Hyatt for an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I’ve stayed here three times now so I suppose it can’t be too bad eh... but this hotel is too ordinary to be called grand, the building is architecturally agreeable with an enormous lobby and the rooms are quite good, on the whole it’s the normal Hyatt fare, but the whole experience is not what anyone could call “grand”

On every visit I’ve had to queue to check in and then queue to check out again, there is only one restaurant that serves a limited menu, it seems that there is always some vast convene going on so that it’s impossible to get in the lifts and I doubt that the conventioneers are paying a fraction of the price for the rooms! All small things but not what I expect from a nominally 5* hotel.

One last thing, they charge for use of the gym...!! I’ve had this a few times in the states recently, how is that 5* treatment are the prices they charge not enough ? they should remember that they are supposed to be providing a superior service and not try to copy the budget airlines... they’ll be putting coin slots on the bathrooms next!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2009

This hotel has its own entrance to the Metro Center Train Station, which puts all of DC’s attractions at your finger tips. This, coupled with a great staff, nicely appointed rooms and a beautiful lobby/atrium makes this hotel a wonderful place to stay while visiting the sites. Nice area to walk with family. Some attractions within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed overnight on Aug 22, 2009. We arrived early and our room was not ready but they call 30 minutes later and it was done. This was at 1pm. check in was at 3 so I was pleased. The held our bags for us too so when we checked back we headed right up. The lobby was beautiful. Service was quick. The room was decorated nice with a large maybe 46 inch lcd. No dining area but there was a desk to sit at. Everything was clean. We walked to the white house , washington monument and three museums. We also used the taxi when it rained. Only $6 00 each way. The metro is underneath but we did not need it. We felt safe while walking in the city but did not go out at night. I am unsure if the enviroment changed after dark. We ate at the Grand slam downstairs twice . Prices were great. We expected to spend a good bit at a Hyatt. We shopped at the store for some small items and did not take advantage of the pool or fitness area. We purchased an in room movie which was $18.00 with hotel taxes. Ouch. We were on vacation though so I expected that.I would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family